One last summer

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: One last summer

Postby Rocket on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

Rocket wrote:You what now?

ironilunga wrote:
I love that this is the thing that you chose to pull me up on in this thread. Didn't really matter what it was did it :thup:

Actually II if you go back to page one you will see that I have already pulled you up on other things you've said and you have failed to respond. Seeing as you're not satisfied, though, I'll also pull you up on this:

ironilunga wrote:However, we need two quality midfielders, some fullbacks and in all probability a top striker.

We've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for these to be delivered. You are Vladimir and/or Estragon and I claim my 5 francs.
Rocket

Postby Tenbury on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 am

I don't buy into all this " just a few decent signings, and things will look different".It's far more than whether we finish with a few more points.

We've sold ourselves out for a lie. I, like a complete fool, believed getting a really great new stadium, where ticket availability would mean I could take Tenbury Jnr, and the 'next level' meant that he wouldn't constantly have to take stick from his plastic mates every Monday morning.
The worst of it is, PP, and others warned us over and over again.
The Athletics ground is a joke,completely unsuitable, I'd ,honestly, sooner groundshare with LO.
The owners have shown time and again they're just asset strippers.They care FA for the club

I'm ashamed I bought into all the BS......There's no fool like an old fool.
Tenbury

Postby DDHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

January 2017 - Spends £18m on Fonte (34) and Snodgrass.
January 2017 - Sells our best player for £25m.

Summer 2017 - Clears out 10 squad players, brings in about £25m
Summer 2017 - Spends £40m on Hernandez, Arnautovic, Zabaleta (33) and a loan.

January 2018 - Sells Sakho and Ayew, loans out loads of the youth, brings in £25m.
January 2018 - Spends £10m on Hugill, Evra (36) and a loan.

Profit, where's the money?

This summer is going to be all about replacing the loans and free transfers, can't wait to see him pull that off with a World Cup and shorter transfer window.
DDHammer

Postby hadleighhammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

DDHammer wrote:January 2017 - Spends £18m on Fonte (34) and Snodgrass.
January 2017 - Sells our best player for £25m.

Summer 2017 - Clears out 10 squad players, brings in about £25m
Summer 2017 - Spends £40m on Hernandez, Arnautovic, Zabaleta (33) and a loan.

January 2018 - Sells Sakho and Ayew, loans out loads of the youth, brings in £25m.
January 2018 - Spends £10m on Hugill, Evra (36) and a loan.

Profit, where's the money?

This summer is going to be all about replacing the loans and free transfers, can't wait to see him pull that off with a World Cup and shorter transfer window.

They may spend more this summer to try and placate supporters as the pressure builds, but hope to conveniently forget these windows and the funds raised/pocketed before summer 2018.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Miles Standish Proud on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I hate the board, I hate the stadium, I want change. I feel repeatedly ripped off and one by one my friends are jacking it in because they are fed up with it all. I hate the marketisation and prostitution of the club, I hate the walk to the stadium, I hate the cold, industrial interior. I hate the fact the roof doesn't prevent me getting wet. I hate the way Sullivan's kids flaunt their unearned wealth. I hate the spin. I hate the lies. I hate the underhand war on fans. I hate the cultural cleansing. I hate the underinvestment in the squad. I hate the journeymen that have replaced academy graduates. I hate the distance from the pitch, the green matting, the poor stewarding.
In short, I hate pretty much everything about the way the club is run and the matchday experience.
But, crucially, after 35 years, I just can't walk away.
Funny old game isn't it?
Miles Standish Proud

Postby woodford on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Miles Standish Proud wrote:I hate the board, I hate the stadium, I want change. I feel repeatedly ripped off and one by one my friends are jacking it in because they are fed up with it all. I hate the marketisation and prostitution of the club, I hate the walk to the stadium, I hate the cold, industrial interior. I hate the fact the roof doesn't prevent me getting wet. I hate the way Sullivan's kids flaunt their unearned wealth. I hate the spin. I hate the lies. I hate the underhand war on fans. I hate the cultural cleansing. I hate the underinvestment in the squad. I hate the journeymen that have replaced academy graduates. I hate the distance from the pitch, the green matting, the poor stewarding.
In short, I hate pretty much everything about the way the club is run and the matchday experience.

yeah but other than that
woodford

Postby Ifebbubbles on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I love westham and always will. Its a battle of wills now though unfortunately and I refuse to give these ****ers another penny of my money. You have to make a stand.
Ifebbubbles

Postby Miles Standish Proud on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I might add that I will, of course, be marching on the 10th.
Miles Standish Proud

Postby ironilunga on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm

bristolhammerfc wrote:Everyone has a right to debate and reply and you may have opened this debate but it doesn't mean you have the right to moderate on who replies.

Carry on

I was standing up for myself after my posts were called b*llocks and I was accused of spinning things. Any other thread a quiet word might have been had with the idiot giving all the abuse. In this thread, however, you have removed my non-abusive posts and kept in the other blokes? Regardless of my opinions that is a bit sinister for me and not the sort of website I am keen to be part of.

It has been great fun. but time to step off for me. All the very best everyone :crest:
ironilunga

Postby EastBrisHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

I find our lack of ambition galling. I probably wouldn't mined if we had stayed at the Boleyn and the false promises had not been made. Instead I would just be frustrated as usual and annoyed we are no better than the other also rans in the league. Whatever way you look at it, we are bigger a side than Brighton, Burnley, Leicester, Huddersfield, etc. and should do better than them but being West Ham and being run badly for much of our history it never seems to happen.

But if you get a new stadium and make up loads of nonsense about the next level then you need to back that up. We need to be better run and it is never going to happen under the current owners. I don't hate the stadium as much as others but I'm sure if I was a STH I would. Is it worth giving them another summer when all we are going to get is more of the same?
EastBrisHammer

Postby bristolhammerfc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

ironilunga wrote:
. In this thread, however, you have removed my non-abusive posts and kept in the other blokes? Regardless of my opinions that is a bit sinister for me and not the sort of website I am keen to be part of.

It has been great fun. but time to step off for me. All the very best everyone :crest:

No one has deleted any of your posts on the topic you posted so I fail to understand why you are being such a drama queen? I offered two posts where I defended your right of reply and made it clear you have the opportunity to do so. I asked you when you last attended either the Boleyn or the OS as I believe its relevant to the argument around broken promises. You failed to reply which makes me think you never have and would therefore find it difficult to understand peoples reaction.

I think you are bowing out because you have been out debated and chosen to take your ball home. You opened this thread so stick it out and defend your position.

Yet again, no one has deleted any of your posts debating the issues on the thread. Where posts are off topic and personal, they will be moderated as in any other thread

:kumb:
bristolhammerfc

Postby HoppyHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 pm

The serious question on the next level is how do you retain decent signings when the big four clubs just hoover up all the stars because they can offer CL football. Someone mentioned Southampton in an earlier post and the joke is now that they are a feeder club for Liverpool.

This seems to be the biggest risk to PL in that fans of the also rans will just see signings whipped away as most star players want to play on the biggest stage. Are we and the other just not doomed to getting those at the end of their careers and loans looking for greater things
HoppyHammer

Postby Skandi Brudson on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Women, know your place!
Skandi Brudson

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

HoppyHammer wrote:The serious question on the next level is how do you retain decent signings when the big four clubs just hoover up all the stars because they can offer CL football. Someone mentioned Southampton in an earlier post and the joke is now that they are a feeder club for Liverpool.

This seems to be the biggest risk to PL in that fans of the also rans will just see signings whipped away as most star players want to play on the biggest stage. Are we and the other just not doomed to getting those at the end of their careers and loans looking for greater things

They don't even need to offer instant Champions League football, or even recent trophies

It is enough that there is a decent chance of qualifying for Champions League regularly that will sway them. As i said earlier, why would a player stay with a club, even one on the up spending decent money, that only has a small chance of winning things/ qualifying for Champions league, when they can move to one which is 'already there' and where the chances of regular 'success' are a lot higher

The problem with all the guff that Sullivan spouted to justify the stadium move, was that it simply wasn't achievable with the level of money they have, even if they spent it all
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby EastBrisHammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

HoppyHammer wrote:The serious question on the next level is how do you retain decent signings when the big four clubs just hoover up all the stars because they can offer CL football. Someone mentioned Southampton in an earlier post and the joke is now that they are a feeder club for Liverpool.

A proper scouting network and a proper reinvestment of the money mixed in with players like Arnautovic and Hernandez will get you on the cusp of the top six. You invest in the 21/22 year olds and the players that have gone to the big clubs but didn't quite make it like the Scott Parkers of this world. You also take talent from your rivals like Arnautovic.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

I see what you are getting at there, especially when even the big boys will get bent over and shafted by Madrid and Barcelona, just like they do to us. However, journeymen, has-been's and dodgy loans aren't the answer either. High quality scouting and just generally being a well-run club from top to bottom is a good start though.

I wouldn't want us to turn into Southampton and lose our best player and manager every year, but they have been relatively successful in the past few years and at least they can find players to sell on for 70 odd million quid. We'd do well to get that for our whole squad!
Jeffcoate321

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:A proper scouting network and a proper reinvestment of the money mixed in with players like Arnautovic and Hernandez will get you on the cusp of the top six. You invest in the 21/22 year olds and the players that have gone to the big clubs but didn't quite make it like the Scott Parkers of this world. You also take talent from your rivals like Arnautovic.

Yep. Hate 'em but a lot to be said for the Spurs model.

Look what they have done in the last 10 years compared to us. We finished above them that season and then level on points in 08/09. Since then we have looked worlds apart.
Jeffcoate321

Postby hammer1975 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

The move to the LS...

I find it quite irritating that Champions league football gets quoted so often. I know they said it, but I think most of us thought it was over ambitious spin. I’m yet to speak to anyone face-to-face who really expected the LS to deliver us instant champions league. It seems to get used as a ‘aren’t West Ham fans gullible’ line to move away from the real point.

The real point is that we’ve gone backwards. We’ve gone backwards in terms of results, quality on the pitch and on the bench, match day experience, momentum and standing as a club. I don’t care what they said or what they continue to say - it’s about what has actually been delivered. Why does such a catastrophic failing on almost every measurable level (except their profit) deserve just one more chance?

Why do we so happily accept that we can’t compete with the top six because their resources are so much more than ours yet the same argument about competing with Brighton gets defended inherently by threads like this? It’s incompetence. Over a sustained period. Time. To. Go

Rant over
hammer1975

Postby Albie Beck on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

'75 :thup:
Albie Beck

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Tenbury wrote:IWe've sold ourselves out for a lie. I, like a complete fool, believed getting a really great new stadium, where ticket availability would mean I could take Tenbury Jnr, and the 'next level' meant that he wouldn't constantly have to take stick from his plastic mates every Monday morning.
The worst of it is, PP, and others warned us over and over again.
The Athletics ground is a joke,completely unsuitable,.

Neither you, nor anyone else who bought in to the story being spun by the club needs to beat themselves up .

I've said it before, I'm distraught, utterly distraught that a simple hobby , watching football, which for many of us is our sole release from day to day stuff, has been ruined for thousands of people.

Those who told fibs are the ones to blame, not the poor unfortunates that believed them.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion