One last summer

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: One last summer

Postby Ifebbubbles on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Its a real shame, because in hindsight we would have been marching before the move to the stadium. I was one of the gullable sheep. I hold my hands up to that.
Ifebbubbles

Postby woodford on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Its a real shame, because in hindsight we would have been marching before the move to the stadium. I was one of the gullable sheep. I hold my hands up to that.

likewise, but mainly because i refused to believe anyone could be that much of a lying ****

That said, i think he nailed his colours firmly to the asset stripping mast as soon as the move went ahead
woodford

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm

ironilunga wrote:It has been great fun. but time to step off for me. All the very best everyone :crest:

Digs out fellow members ("sheep", "attention seeking rubbish", "drama students"), blames the mods for being pulled up.

Best of luck.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby goa127 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm

HoppyHammer wrote:The serious question on the next level is how do you retain decent signings when the big four clubs just hoover up all the stars because they can offer CL football. Someone mentioned Southampton in an earlier post and the joke is now that they are a feeder club for Liverpool.

This seems to be the biggest risk to PL in that fans of the also rans will just see signings whipped away as most star players want to play on the biggest stage. Are we and the other just not doomed to getting those at the end of their careers and loans looking for greater things

This is a serious point. I'd like to add Leicester to Southampton's name. They won the league yet lost their best players. The only one they've kept is Vardy who having battled through from non-league knows how fragile success is. If Payet had been 3 years younger and not homesick does anyone think he wouldn't have moved on? My son said to me after a couple of months of him signing 'Dad, what's this bloke doing playing for us?' All the more reason to be selective in our signings. It's not how much but how good a fit for us. Just paying £40m (not that we will) won't guarantee anything
goa127

Postby RM9 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Tenbury wrote:I don't buy into all this " just a few decent signings, and things will look different".It's far more than whether we finish with a few more points.

We've sold ourselves out for a lie. I, like a complete fool, believed getting a really great new stadium, where ticket availability would mean I could take Tenbury Jnr, and the 'next level' meant that he wouldn't constantly have to take stick from his plastic mates every Monday morning.
The worst of it is, PP, and others warned us over and over again.
The Athletics ground is a joke,completely unsuitable, I'd ,honestly, sooner groundshare with LO.
The owners have shown time and again they're just asset strippers.They care FA for the club

I'm ashamed I bought into all the BS......There's no fool like an old fool.

+1 for me. They've had their chances, far too many. As a fan base we believed their spin, rolled over and had our bellies tickled. No more chances, no more lies. Time to go. :crest:
RM9

Postby Albie Beck on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote: I hold my hands up to that.

:oops: :clap:
Albie Beck

Postby only1post on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I quite liked his 'drama students' post.

Anyway another Kumber bites the dust.

We should really try to stick together.
only1post

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm

HoppyHammer wrote:The serious question on the next level is how do you retain decent signings when the big four clubs just hoover up all the stars because they can offer CL football. Someone mentioned Southampton in an earlier post and the joke is now that they are a feeder club for Liverpool.

This seems to be the biggest risk to PL in that fans of the also rans will just see signings whipped away as most star players want to play on the biggest stage. Are we and the other just not doomed to getting those at the end of their careers and loans looking for greater things

I hate to write this sentence but....you do it like Spurs have. Put a plan in place and stick to it. Recruit well (both players and managers). Always make sure you let someone go at the top of their value if it can help the squad.

They've had a couple of mistakes (the first season after Bale went the most obvious) but since Lewis & ENIC took over they've been on a slow upward trajectory for 15+ years now and it's got them to the point where there's only 3/4 clubs in the world that could afford to take away their best player.

Southampton are just not quite big enough and haven't spent well enough to have followed that same path since promotion.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby Kev59 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm hoping the march is a massive success and more than anything else convinces Sullivan to put up or sell up. Don't agree with all the orginal poster said, but like him, should G&S stick around, I'll need to see the evidence of change before a ball's kicked in the 2018/19 season.

A proper contract for the manager (Moyes) and his team, appointment of a proper DoF and improved scouting network, major investment in the squad. I don't want to go in to next season with anything less than a full strength, balanced 25 man squad that's good enough to challenge in the top half of the table and take a proper run at a trophy. If they can't commit to that and actually get it in place by mid August, then **** 'em.

Getting a DoF in and improving the scouting can start immediately and by May they should be in place and drawing up a realistic list of targets. Happy enough for G&S to set the overall budget for transfers (net spend), but the final decision on who to bring in should go to the manager, DoF and scouts.
Kev59

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I wonder if the OP has gone off to further fund his old girl's ongoing "tennis lessons"?
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Iron-on-transfer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 pm

goa127 wrote:This is a serious point. I'd like to add Leicester to Southampton's name. They won the league yet lost their best players. The only one they've kept is Vardy who having battled through from non-league knows how fragile success is. If Payet had been 3 years younger and not homesick does anyone think he wouldn't have moved on? My son said to me after a couple of months of him signing 'Dad, what's this bloke doing playing for us?' All the more reason to be selective in our signings. It's not how much but how good a fit for us. Just paying £40m (not that we will) won't guarantee anything

It's one thing losing your best players if you're not one of the 'big' boys, but then you've got to spend good money on bright young and established prospects in the first place. A concept our tw*ts seem unwilling or incapable of doing. Look at the Dendoncker debacle. The lad was desperate to come to us too, which is a bonus in my eyes.

Also shows just how sh*te our scouting and recruitment has been in recent years, the fact we haven't really bought anyone that a 'big' club has later tried to lure away for really ridiculous big money. Money we could then reinvest into the squad (assuming we had normal decent owners willing to do so). The one gem we did have in Payet, truth be known, we didn't get what we should have for him.

Selling your better players at the right price compared to what else is happening in the current marketplace is yet another area I would argue our board has failed in. Think Leicester got some decent wedge for the players they did lose and I bet they'll get really silly money still for Mahrez come the summer even though you could argue he's behaved no better than Payet did with his antics and attitude. Even Spurs would find it difficult to hang on to Alli or Kane should an unbelievable offer come in from abroad...but my God, what an offer they would get compared to their initial outlays for them and other players in their squad.

We can't attract the very top players for sure. Only the elite clubs will do that. So... we have to be shrewd and put our money where it's needed on good quality prospects....just like Dendoncker, even if that means he turns out to be a world superstar and we subsequently lose him to a 'big' club further down the line. At least we'd have had some good use out of them and hopefully make a healthy profit when the 'big' boys do come calling.

Fact is, Dendoncker was a no brainer for most fans...but Sully wasn't even prepared to offer a sensible price for him. Why?...because he thought, like most windows, he'd done it many times before, let everyone down but threw out the spin and supposedly got away with it. He couldn't see why he wouldn't get away with it yet again this time. Remember, he thinks he's cleverer than the average bear. After all, at that point, there was no active unrest in the fanbase (the march) and the punters would obviously still keep coming back for more. What he got wrong this time was that he'd rinsed and repeated just one too many times, and the fans actually hadn't forgotten the previous lies and bluff.

He's incapable and unwilling.
Get lost. No more last chance saloons for these cowboys.
Iron-on-transfer

Postby goa127 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 am

Although I see your point generally I'm bemused by so many people's enthusiasm for Dendonker. I'd never heard of him until a couple of people posted him on here and I reckon that goes for 90% of our supporters. I got the impression (and it's only an impression) that Moyes and Pearce weren't really pushing for him, Moyes preferring Schneiderlin. When Everton, surprisingly seeing as how they don't play him regularly, knocked that on the head they seemed to consider Dendonker. The original asking price I heard was £25m quickly dropped to £20m. We offered £14-£15m, £5 up front rest in the summer. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me as it seemed like Anderlect were trying to flog off a saleable asset . I was puzzled as to why such an alleged hot property was not the subject of a bidding war. He may turn out to be the next big thing but he's currently playing in the Belgian league, which is probably championship level. Sorry to wander a bit off topic!
goa127

Postby Tarte Encore on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 am

goa127 wrote:Although I see your point generally I'm bemused by so many people's enthusiasm for Dendonker. I'd never heard of him until a couple of people posted him on here and I reckon that goes for 90% of our supporters. I got the impression (and it's only an impression) that Moyes and Pearce weren't really pushing for him, Moyes preferring Schneiderlin. When Everton, surprisingly seeing as how they don't play him regularly, knocked that on the head they seemed to consider Dendonker. The original asking price I heard was £25m quickly dropped to £20m. We offered £14-£15m, £5 up front rest in the summer. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me as it seemed like Anderlect were trying to flog off a saleable asset . I was puzzled as to why such an alleged hot property was not the subject of a bidding war. He may turn out to be the next big thing but he's currently playing in the Belgian league, which is probably championship level. Sorry to wander a bit off topic!

Tbf that post could've been written a couple of years ago, substituting the words Dmitry Payet for Leander Dendoncker.
It's called knowledge, scouting or doing your homework, something this current regime rarely get right and then, on the rare occasion they do, faff around, lowball and BS their way out of pulling the trigger on a deal for an attainable, outstanding and already full international 22 year old prospect in a position we've been crying out for AND wanted to come.
The big boys are well aware of LD and'll be keeping tabs on him, don't worry about that.
So, in a roundabout way, you're not off topic at all.
Tarte Encore

Postby Tarte Encore on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 am

*Dimitri
Tarte Encore

Postby goa127 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Tarte Encore wrote:*Dimitri

There's certainly similarities. According to Bilic sulli phoned him and said' Marseille have been on to us and offered us a player, are we interested?' Bilic said 'if it's Payet then yes in a heartbeat'. If a similar call happened this time I suspect the answer was something like ' possibly, I'll send Pearce over to have a look, can't you get me schneiderlin?' Like you say, lack of a coherent strategy for transfers. If Moyes were to stay and the current proposals implemented this COULD improve. I won't be holding my breath though!
goa127

Postby sanchoz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Groundhog Day
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby warp on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

goa127 wrote:generally I'm bemused by so many people's enthusiasm for Dendonker.

- centre midfield
- has a pulse

what's not too like?!?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Upton Carp on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 pm

the pink palermo wrote:@ the OP, you're not the bloke that came back waving a bit of paper saying peace in our time are you ?

They've had more than enough chances to right their wrongs, the time for prevarication and delay is long over.

Quite simply they are not going to invest appropriately, because they never have.

The message should be clear , in the name of God go !

( History students will see what I've done there).

I saw what you did...But you're not the first to quote Cromwell (20th April 1653). See Gold and Sullivan thread, page 457 5th post from the top...(smug grin!)
Upton Carp

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm

they could bring in messi in the summer and i'd still want them out on charges of crimes against west ham.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Rocket on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Upton Carp wrote:
I saw what you did...But you're not the first to quote Cromwell (20th April 1653). See Gold and Sullivan thread, page 457 5th post from the top...(smug grin!)

Neither are you, Upton Carp. Leo Amery said it to Neville Chamberlain in 1940, hence Pinky's use in his post.
Rocket

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion