Europa League and 7th place

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Europa League and 7th place

Postby hammer1975 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 pm

It’s the hope that’ll kill you Bubbs :wink:

There is a chance, I worry about our ability to beat teams who let us have possession, our one in five anomaly (where we turn to ****), and dependence on a couple of key players

No excuse not to buy the right players to be there next season
hammer1975

Postby BondsoBob on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Ridiculous topic. With all due respect to the author. As others have said the club absolutely would not want it. They are not interested in any cup, league cup, FA cup or egg cup.
All they want to do is stay in the Premier league at any cost.
We are sadly now days, a club with absolutely zero ambition.
BondsoBob

Postby kayahammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 am

brownout wrote:I'd love it but GSB would rather we didn't qualify. It's a cup after all.

They wouldn't want to qualify because they'd have to enlargen the squad like they did before, but we got knocked out at the qualifying stages
kayahammer

Postby Kialos on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 am

They need to enlarge the squad anyway and that's not taking into account any further pocketing of cash by the board.
Kialos

Postby kitthehammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 am

As gary lineker put it on motd a few weeks ago when leicester were 7th, they were top of the league - ignoring the top six. This is what we should currently aim for every season and are capable of with the squad we have.
But that is the caveat.
I'd love to see us play more games in the europa league or domestic cups but our squad doesn't have the strength and depth to cope. I don't think its a deliberate ploy to not bother with cups, it is always the timing of the competitions and of course injuries or fitness that always makes us prioritise the league iver everything else.
Until we get that depth, which is pretty much the same as a whole second first x11 rather than a first team & subs with the rest being squad fillers, nothing will change. I reckon it will be another three seasons before this changes, if ever.
But irrespective of european qualification or other cups, we should aim for 7th every season.
kitthehammer

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am

BEST WE CAN GET EACH YEAR UNDER CURRENT MOB.
hammerman11

Postby Hockley Hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am

hammers92 wrote:Stadium is available from 1 August this summer so finishing 7th would mean we don’t have a stadium to play early home games in
i don't see that as a negative. Why not look at playing at Southend or Colchester. Pack the place out instead of a half empty bowl. I know what i'd enjoy more. Might actually feel like a cup-tie.

I don't think Moyes would look at it as a waste. Unemployed to managing in Europe in a year?

I think I know what he would prefer.

Aim low and you always hit your target.
Hockley Hammer

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 am

agree friendlies at southend Ipswich etc would be great like home games !

rather that than games in an empty dog bowl !

we wont get into Europe this season best I can see us doing is 8th which would be great
hammerman11

Postby dodger on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

It'll be Leicester.

As always I want us to get into it. It's special for us to be in Europe, and it's only completely hapless preparation that has foiled us the last two times.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby 1011Iron on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am

Count me in...

Chaaaarrge!! :scarfer:
1011Iron

Previous

Return to General Discussion