Payet treats young hammer with trip to France

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Payet treats young hammer with trip to France

Postby OFT on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 am

I suppose it's inevitable that the why's and wherefores of the Payet saga are being discussed as a result of this but whatever the reasons he left, this is a really 'good news story' The bloke has made that lad's day, has given him a tale to tell for life. Good work Dimi...
OFT

Postby Ariksan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We then gave him the oportunity to showcase his skills that gave him the chance to get back in thr French team, leading to his crowning moment at the Euros. He then went on strike before the length of that original contract would have expired.

Sure, at West Ham he was able to proof that he can perform on the big stage.But his skills were already well known in France - maybe not in the UK - but it certainly was not a secret. We signed him from a cash-strapped Marseille. He probably could have gone anywhere in Ligue 1 and I'd be surprised if we were the only 'foreign' club that was interested in signing him.

But he signed for us. Why?
Certainly promises have been made. Next level, continuously improving the squad, new state of the art stadium - the least the same porky pie that has been fed to us.

I'm with Hayden - I was disappointed and angry when Payet left. But I can also see certain people perhaps wanting to cash in and instigate a move while still saving their own face...
Ariksan

Postby hammerleroy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am

Delighted for the kid of course but a cynical PR stunt IMO. Too late Mr Payet, your behaviour in order to get back to Marseille was a disgrace and damn nearly derailed our season. And that's that!
hammerleroy

Postby Hammer1972 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

He went on strike while we were paying him £100K a week, so whatever his reasons he is a ****ing snake. Let down the manager who backed him and the fans who cheered his name. Snake.
Hammer1972

Postby derek zoolander on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am

Lt. Discussion wrote:How? Some short memories here no? My daughter who is younger than this kid adored Dimi but even she realised what a disgrace he was. With no encouragement from me she knew what an @rse he was.

How that makes me worse than him I don't know.

Hello Dave.

If I moved jobs and committed my long term career to a firm based on discussions and expectations of what direction that company was going in only for them to fail miserably to back any of those discussions with real actions then I would also leave.

In fact I have done, on several ocassions.

As discussed you only have to look at who they bought to replace Payet with to know the intent of our owners.

I’m sure they spun him a good yarn and it took him all of about 6 weeks to figure out they were full of ****. Much like a lot of our supporters he probably turned up to the Olympic astadium and realised we’d all been sold down the river. Quite rightly, he scarpered sharpish.

Holding a grudge against a professional footballer for leaving the club you support for the sake of their career & what’s best for their family I s the behaviour of a child.

I personally just appreciate some of the magical moments we got to witness whilst he played for our club and especially in our last season at Upton Park. For that I will always look back at his time fondly and thank him.
derek zoolander

Postby derek zoolander on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 am

hammerleroy wrote:Delighted for the kid of course but a cynical PR stunt IMO. Too late Mr Payet, your behaviour in order to get back to Marseille was a disgrace and damn nearly derailed our season. And that's that!

Why would Payet give two shits about PR stunts?

He’s playing football on the French Riviera & has **** all to do with West Ham. For it to be a PR stunt he’d need to have a reason to want to change our opinion,

Perhaps he just wanted to do something nice for a fan?
derek zoolander

Postby Ariksan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am

Hammer1972 wrote:He went on strike while we were paying him £100K a week, so whatever his reasons he is a ****ing snake. Let down the manager who backed him and the fans who cheered his name. Snake.

Which is unforgivable and shitty and I was furious when it happened. But now in retrospect I have some doubts - maybe this was just spin.
Ariksan

Postby Hammer1972 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 am

Spin?

Slav was quoted as saying he refused to play wasn't he? I know who I believe...
Hammer1972

Postby Lt. Discussion on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am

Hello Dave.

If I moved jobs and committed my long term career to a firm based on discussions and expectations of what direction that company was going in only for them to fail miserably to back any of those discussions with real actions then I would also leave.

As discussed you only have to look at who they bought to replace Payet with to know the intent of our owners.

I’m sure they spun him a good yarn and it took him all of about 6 weeks to figure out they were full of ****. Much like a lot of our supporters he probably turned up to the Olympic astadium and realised we’d all been sold down the river. Quite rightly, he scarpered sharpish.

Holding a grudge against a professional footballer for leaving the club you support for the sake of their career & what’s best for their family I s the behaviour of a child.

I personally just appreciate some of the magical moments we got to witness whilst he played for our club and especially in our last season at Upton Park. For that I will always look back at his time fondly and thank him.[/quote]
I'm a child then. As are a large % of our fan base then. I detest the board as much as any other but to blame them for his behaviour is disingenuous to say the least. He took the loyalty payment and effectively went on strike. Scum behaviour. It was a nice gesture but I fail to see the adoration the kid had for him still.

Your analogy holds no verifiable truth about the 'yarns' from the board either. It's very plausible but hey I maybe different from you. If I'm paid extremely handsomely for my job, I'd probably just get on with it
FLJ and Paul Ince. Come back all is forgiven. It was all cearns and browns fault
Lt. Discussion

Postby DevonshireRoad on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Payet wanted to leave during the summer but was persuaded to stay by a new contract and ‘probably’ the same promises and names leaked to us fans.

They turned out to be empty.

Viewed with a little time, perspective and further shambolic club mismanagement I don’t blame him, I respect him.

And don’t get me started on the cover & cover story on Saturdays programme or the BM memorial on 10th March, cynical b*stards.

We’re marching because we can’t leave.
DevonshireRoad

Postby SullySpecial on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

Payet was obviously lied to, and felt disillusioned. While I don’t agree with the manner in which he engineered a move away, I can certainly understand why he did it.
SullySpecial

Postby NW5hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am

He gave us one of the greatest seasons and performances we've seen for decades. He exemplifies the lack of ambition and people-management at this club.
NW5hammer

Postby wildkard on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

Christ almighty not this again.
wildkard

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote: If you sign a contract on the basis that the place work that you shine in and carry doesn’t intend to continue be “lower mid” but intends to aim for the “next level” and then once you’ve signed up to their apparent ‘vision’ brings in a couple of mediocre temps rather than the top quality professionals they’d promised younthen it really does matter. If that happened to me and it was clear that my employers had sold me a line to get what they want but clearly lacked ambition I’d want out.

Chalks and Jinxed, who evidently have the inside track have both previously referred to unkept promises. People can choose to disbelieve them if they want but most will take their words for it as trusted sources.

The point is, when he signed 2015 he was perfectly content to sign a long contract even though at that time we were a bang average mid table side. We signed him for £10m which shows he was not in demand at that point in time, and he saw the pound signs for playing in the Premier League. At that point he was happy to commit to West Ham.

We had a good season, he had a great season, and then certain promises about players were made to keep him out of the clutches of the bigger teams. Maybe in summer of 2016 'promises' were made, and for whatever reason were not me - were they realistic promises? Who knows?. He then got the strop, and refused to play, and pushed through a transfer to a team who were not exactly pushing to be one of Europe's giants (plus he needed to get away from London due to personal issues). If he was so desperate to leave West Ham because of broken promises, why did he set his stall out that it had to be Marseille and no-one else?

All this doesn't negate the fact he was happy to commit to west ham for four years in summer 2015 when no-one else was interested

Coutinho wanted to go to Liverpool six months before he did. Last summer Mahrez wanted to leave Leicester. Did they go on strike? No, they acted like professionals and got on with it

If Payet had put a shift in during 2016/17, he would likely have got his move in the summer, we wouild have got more money and he wouldn't have acted like a ****
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 am

derek zoolander wrote:Hello Dave.

You wouldn't last very long if you went on strike though.

Fine, he wanted out.

He should have got his head down, carried on playing, same as 99.9% of other professional footballers who want to leave their club. The chances are he would then have got a move. Although, for some reason, it had to be Marseille, and Marseille only and it had to be then. Funny that

He signed a four year contract in 2015, before all the big plans suggested to him in the summer of 2016

Anyone pointless going over old ground. Whatever promises that were or were not made to him in summer of 2016, nothing will ever excuse him in my eyes for going on strike and thus forcing us to sell him to Marseille for less than he was worth
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby wildkard on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am

He clearly wanted to line up alongside Marseille’s world class players and regularly challenge for the Champion’s League. He wouldn’t have got that at Chelsea or Man Utd, who were also interested in signing him. Definitely not.
wildkard

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am

DevonshireRoad wrote:
We’re marching because we can’t leave.

:thup:
Mega Ron

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Coutinho wanted to go to Liverpool six months before he did. Last summer Mahrez wanted to leave Leicester. Did they go on strike? No, they acted like professionals and got on with it

They pretty much both went on strike but their clubs, as they aren't run by **** for brains ****wits like ours, played it down.
Mega Ron

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:You wouldn't last very long if you went on strike though.

You or I would hand in our notice. Or quit. You don't have to work your notice.

Footballers are pretty much tied into their contracts.
Mega Ron

Postby k-r-c on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am

He went about his move wrong if the stories are true.

But like us he was sold a false dream.
k-r-c

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion