Payet treats young hammer with trip to France

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Payet

Postby West Ham Matt on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 am

Probably the best season I've see a West Ham player ever have. Was genuinely one of the best in the world with us .

Shame the board didn't build around him, but obviously we know they have no ambition to improve us :thup:
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Postby Al Fisti on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:31 am

Didn´t impress me last night, but is a magnficient player on his day.

That would be a great:

Lanzini Payet

Arni
Al Fisti

Postby mixture on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am

West Ham Matt wrote:Probably the best season I've see a West Ham player ever have. Was genuinely one of the best in the world with us .

Shame the board didn't build around him, but obviously we know they have no ambition to improve us :thup:

This :thup:
mixture

Postby scatts on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:40 am

“Dimitri Payet set up both goals as Marseille beat Red Bull Salzburg 2-0 in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final at Stade Velodrome.”
scatts

Postby Hayden on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 am

A great player, but nowhere close to a West Ham great.

He was akin to Tevez, albeit the latter and his agents handled the whole thing better. Neither should even be talked of in reference to greats or legends.
Hayden

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 am

After Di Canio the best player of this millennium.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Coops on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 am

One of the best player ever to put on a West Ham shirt. I loved that little French b*stard and he broke my heart.
Coops

Postby Coops on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:38 am

Coops

Postby aaronhammer on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 am

Isn’t a legend but is without doubt one of the, if not the, best players to play for us (in my lifetime).

The way he left hurt but I enjoy the fact we had a season and a half with him and the memories he provided me with.

Based on things put on here by Jinxed and others, and I think an interview he gave since leaving, one of the key drivers was how he was sold a false dream with what the club wanted, and our ambitions changed. Sound familiar?
aaronhammer

Re: Payet treats young hammer with trip to France

Postby GingerJohn on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:56 am

Such a shame our board are WAY out of our depth and wouldn't match his ambitions. :thdn:
GingerJohn

Postby Tenbury on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 am

I'm just really pleased to have seen such a talent in claret & blue.
Tenbury

Postby fmgod on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 am

Can't believe people comparing to Di Canio, he is miles better, best player I've ever seen for us, he was world class when with us and still is, different league of talent. Obviously it ended in tears but while here he must've of won us countless points and basically lifted the team a few league places. Massive underachiever in real terms, should've been playing for some of the worlds best teams really but I think he is one of those that needs to feel the main man and loved.
fmgod

Postby Denzil on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 am

I understand the hate following how he left but denying he is not one of our greats (one season or not) is only being driven because of the way he left, which should not be how greatness is judged.

The fact that we if we look at the top three best players this millennium, three players who would continuously appear in peoples picks would be Di Canio, Tevez & Payet. I don't think that is too far off of the mark is it? I don't think you can be held as one of the best players of the last two decades and not be labelled as a club great *disclaimer - not the same as a club legend*.

All I know is that I have not felt as excited about watching us since he left and it was certainly some time before he arrived I'd felt like that. Probably not since Di Canio.
Denzil

Postby Denzil on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:12 am

fmgod wrote:Can't believe people comparing to Di Canio, he is miles better, best player I've ever seen for us, he was world class when with us and still is, different league of talent. Obviously it ended in tears but while here he must've of won us countless points and basically lifted the team a few league places. Massive underachiever in real terms, should've been playing for some of the worlds best teams really but I think he is one of those that needs to feel the main man and loved.

I agree with half of this post but I feel you have sensationalised it. He was not miles better than Di Canio. PDC was insanely good and at the time far too good for us. His temperament and being banned for an "attack" on a referee hindered him from playing at the top level but his talent and ability to do so were there. He was a magician and turned defences inside out and could score any kind of goal. Ferguson was a known admirer and I reckon had he not pushed the ref over at Sheff Wed he would have been playing for him at some point.
Denzil

Postby StackerJJ on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 am

West Ham Matt wrote:Probably the best season I've see a West Ham player ever have. Was genuinely one of the best in the world with us .

I mirror those sentiments. Shame how he left us but when he was here he was absolutely amazing.

We are now a few points of relegation and he is one game away from a Europa Cup Final. Let that just sink in.
StackerJJ

Postby spod on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 am

Great player, but not a West Ham great.
His leaving is all bundled up in the regret I feel about what's happened to this club.
At the end of one season, we beat Man U under the lights at the Boleyn, qualified for Europe and had a player nominated for the Ballon d'Or.
Look where we are now.
spod

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am

In 30 years time middle aged men will talk about seeing Payet when they were children, wanting his name on the back of their shirts, thinking every game was winnable with him in the team and what it was like to feel that every free kick was as good as a penalty.

That's the stuff of legend.
bubbles1966

Postby fmgod on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:12 am

Denzil wrote:I agree with half of this post but I feel you have sensationalised it. He was not miles better than Di Canio. PDC was insanely good and at the time far too good for us. His temperament and being banned for an "attack" on a referee hindered him from playing at the top level but his talent and ability to do so were there. He was a magician and turned defences inside out and could score any kind of goal. Ferguson was a known admirer and I reckon had he not pushed the ref over at Sheff Wed he would have been playing for him at some point.

I think he was, Di Canio was too good for us but Payet was good enough for anyone in the world top teams, he was the best player at the Euros, Di Canio was decent but like a top six player, Payet could've started and been quality for any of Europe's elite.
fmgod

Postby only1post on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 am

Thought the guy who got the equalizer last night was best player at the Euros.
only1post

Postby CentenaryUpperHammer on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:33 am

The game against Newcastle when we beat them 3-0. We look devastating. So quick on the break with Payet pulling the strings.

The free-kick against Palace at home was a real highlight for me though. Sitting in Chav Corner, 3 rows from the corner flag & that free kick looping in was brilliant.

And, of course, the Man Utd free kick which let us dream for a while.

Shame that our owners lies & lack of ambition ****ed it up. He obviously had some personal issues but he was sold an absolute pack of lies, like us, except he got to leave.
CentenaryUpperHammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion