West Ham Utd 0-3 Burnley: match thread (10/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PortCityIron
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by PortCityIron »

If we lose the board are 100% going to blame the march as distracting the players/atmosphere, thus "costing" (ironically), relegation. Bet it. We've witnessed a lot of terrible football this season but i reckon Saturday's match will be the ugliest
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Hello there! wrote:Burnley will score at least 3. We will score 1 at the most.
At least 3?

They score at an average of less than one a game in the Premiership. In all competitions they have only got to 3 goals once this season, back in August.

They are where they are because they stop people scoring.

If we create enough chances, we will win, and with the team above us and the three teams below us playing each other, the table will look at lot better if we do.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

only1post wrote:At least 3?

They score at an average of less than one a game in the Premiership. In all competitions they have only got to 3 goals once this season, back in August.
Swansea had scored 21 goals all season before we rocked up and someone like you said exactly this when someone suggested we'd ship at least 3.

Brighton were joint lowest scorers with Swansea when we played them last month, we conceded 3.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Burnley are bang average but good at being bang average, so teams often struggle against them, teams like us.

A thoroughly frustrating 1-1 or 0-0.
Graza

Post by Graza »

I reckon we could see Hart return and that would be a real blow for us.

My major concern is how bad are all the defensive injuries? Who's going to play? I imagine that if we hadn't lost Collins and Ogbonna then Cresswell would have started on the left. Reid looks unlikely to be back but I've not seen anything much about the other 2. If we want a back 5 then I imagine it will see Evra and Zabaletta out wide with Rice, Cresswell and Kouyate in the middle. Though why the hell Antonio won't start I don't know.

Middle I imagine we will have to go for it and end up with Noble, Lanzini and Mario. Arnautovic and Hernandez up top.

It will leave us painfully narrow and undermanned in the middle. It'll be apparent from kickoff but nothing will be done until the 75th minute when we are 2 down and totally out of the game. Even then it will be throwing on attacking players and abandoning any vague shape we had to that point.

Think I might be a bit pessimistic right now...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Going to bury my head in the sand until Thursday afternoon and hope to see some good news around Collins and Ogbonna.

Great win for Burnley this week (all be it at home) which puts them safe so I also think they could be in 'foot off the gas' mode when they come to us. Before that win though their record was six defeats and six draws straight. All tight games (expect Man City which we can all forgive them).

I can't see it being pretty, I think Ogbonna and Collins are a huge part of the puzzle and I think that the likes of Arnautovic, Lanzini, Antonio and Hernandez are good enough to get us a win.

Can see us approaching it in very much the same way we did the Watford game (Lanzini in for Mario).
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I don't really understand the anti-Adrian mood at the moment. Although he was widely condemned for the first goal against Swansea at the weekend, TV replays show that Ki curled the ball round a couple of players meaning he didn't get sight of the ball until the last minute. Had the ball been off the ground he'd have probably got a hand to it. Actually a very good goal, which is not what you'd say about the others.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Would like to see Hugill start this one. His apparent 'all action style' might just raise the atmosphere, plus we could do with a new hero :P
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

So reading on here, the general consensus seems to be that if we don't beat Burnley we are pretty much f@@@@d. Would that be a correct assumption of the situation ?
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

sutts07 wrote: Great win for Burnley this week (all be it at home) which puts them safe so I also think they could be in 'foot off the gas' mode when they come to us. Before that win though their record was six defeats and six draws straight. All tight games (expect Man City which we can all forgive them).
I don't think Dyche is a very "foot off the gas" manager, he'll want them to finish best of the rest. Plus 7th place looks likely to provide Europa League football which would be a huge achievement for Burnley.

We'll get beat here because they can defend and we can't.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I think we're going to win this. I know it seems unlikely, but I think Arnie/Antonio will get 1 a piece, and we'll edge it 2-1.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

goa127 wrote:I don't really understand the anti-Adrian mood at the moment. Although he was widely condemned for the first goal against Swansea at the weekend, TV replays show that Ki curled the ball round a couple of players meaning he didn't get sight of the ball until the last minute. Had the ball been off the ground he'd have probably got a hand to it. Actually a very good goal, which is not what you'd say about the others.
Sorry but Adrian is again making me feel very uneasy. However, Hart did nothing to prove he should be no.1 choice either. Whoever of them plays Saturday has a mistake or two in them. If pushed, I would play Hart and pray that he can command his area, which I think Adrian just doesn't do.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

johnnyb wrote:
Sorry but Adrian is again making me feel very uneasy. However, Hart did nothing to prove he should be no.1 choice either. Whoever of them plays Saturday has a mistake or two in them. If pushed, I would play Hart and pray that he can command his area, which I think Adrian just doesn't do.
I agree, Hart has a massive point to prove and will be desperate to get back into the England reckoning ahead of the world cup. I think fundamentally he is a better keeper than Adrian just incredibly low on confidence.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Knighter10WHU wrote: We'll get beat here because they can defend and we can't.
Zero clean sheets in their last nine would suggest otherwise... admittedly they are not shipping four per game... but they are not exactly water tight either.

They have let in 18 in their last 11 games...
We have let in 17 in our last 11 games...
(although for balance, I have to point out 11 of ours have been in the last four games!)
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BondsoBob wrote:So reading on here, the general consensus seems to be that if we don't beat Burnley we are pretty much f@@@@d. Would that be a correct assumption of the situation ?
That's my assumption, but on the basis that if we get beat, we might struggle to regain any confidence.

I think that something similar has got a hold of WBA. They're not as bad as their results, but seem to have no confidence that they can beat anyone.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Pretty sure we'll lose this one and confident we will go down. If we are not careful we'll go straight through the Championship as well. GSB need to go.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i wonder what kind of XI we are going to play on saturday , i really hope we give Hugill a try , what was the point in having him otherwise .
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by Humbug »

I really want Kouyate dropped (as well as several others who don't want to be at our club) but because we have a thin squad we've no option to play these 'pretenders' . They will only play if there is a monetary benefit to them and currently there isn't . Its a win-win for them because they will bugger off elsewhere if we go down and they still get paid their wages if they underperform. Nuts!!! The only way they will perform is if the owners given them an incentive to stay up (ie.£1m bonus each) - then watch them spill blood for their bank balance.
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

only1post wrote:
At least 3?

They are where they are because they stop people scoring.

If we create enough chances, we will win, and with the team above us and the three teams below us playing each other, the table will look at lot better if we do.
I'm thinking of putting money on it.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I don’t mind who our goalkeeper is. Both are o.k goalkeepers, nothing more. Some of the opinions on here on Adrian are strange. He’s made out to be amazing, when he really isn’t. It’s an area that could be improved next season pretty easily, though we have never spent any transfer fee on a goalkeeper under this board I believe. Jussi, Adrian, Randolph all on a free. Hart on loan. West Brom and Stoke both have a better goalkeeper than us. Fortunately, they are worse than us in other areas.

We have to set up to attack Burnley. Moyes is going to have to change things a little bit here. No good trying to nick the points against a team who will frustrate and try to nick the points. Our defence is a patched up mess anyway. I would rather Kouyate at CB if he is to play.