Was Noble right to do what he did? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Was Mark Noble right to confront the supporter who ran onto the pitch in the manner that he did?

Yes
35%
No
53%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 445

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Re: Was Noble right to do what he did? [POLL]

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

crazyknight wrote:I wasn't there but the coverage and what little was shown has made it sound like the fan goaded or attacked Noble. Then I saw the full, unedited footage. The fan was nobbing it up and playing to the crowd. Noble attacked him from the blindside.
It appears from this footage the fan is running directly towards Noble in the centre of the pitch. Noble confronts him from face on. When the invader tries to dodge Noble he gets pushed over. Noble continues shoving/dragging him towards the side of the pitch whence he came.

I can't agree with any blindsiding from this evidence.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Was Noble right to do what he did?

Post by kayahammer »

smuts wrote:I don't he believe he felt threatened. He lost his rag.
Either way he's the captain and he's trying to win a game of football.

100% correct to lose his rag :thup:
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

Heysel76 wrote:We have more important things to discuss, IMHO
Is the correct answer

Morons running on the pitch and captains losing their rag are handy distractions for some
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

OohAahButler wrote:Noble’s job is to do his best to win games with West Ham. We’d just gone a goal down in a crucial match, having wasted a load of chances. As captain, his first thought would be to rally the troops for a response. And just at that moment, a protester is allowed a free run to the centre circle with nobody dealing with it. Never mind the rights and wrongs of the protester - at that moment, Nobes’ only thought is that this is the last thing the team needs. And he’s right. So I don’t blame him for taking the protester down.
I feel really uncomfortable with people calling him out on here as some kind of stooge for the board. He just wants what’s best for the team in the match. Can’t believe that some fans are trying to stir up a campaign against one of the few players who seems to genuinely give a toss.
100% correct. It is a sad state of affairs that people are calling out Noble over this.

On the sidelines, in the tunnel or in the stands a different story.

On the pitch during a game he was completely right.
crazyknight

Post by crazyknight »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: It appears from this footage the fan is running directly towards Noble in the centre of the pitch. Noble confronts him from face on. When the invader tries to dodge Noble he gets pushed over. Noble continues shoving/dragging him towards the side of the pitch whence he came.

I can't agree with any blindsiding from this evidence.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammersChat's matchday vlog shows the whole situation from when the guy comes on. blindsided is the wrong word but Noble makes the first move.
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

No way was Noble in the wrong. The moron should not be on the pitch but the finger is getting pointed at Noble. Jesus wept.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Noble was clearly pissed off at going a goal behind. Suddenly there's some wally running on the pitch. His comments after the game about protecting himself was an excuse - clearly he had the hump and took it out on this bloke. He ran towards him, pushed him over and then seemed to try to grab him by the waist and forcibly launch him off 30 odd yards off the pitch.

Not really the sort of thing the captain should be doing is it?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote:
Well that depends. Isn't a team meant to be at their most vulnerable when they've just scored?

So our captain want to get back on with the game as quickly as possible but instead he sees a fan running on the pitch holding things up with not a steward in sight.

I'm guessing Mark Noble is pretty angry with the situation at present. He will know how much unrest there is within the club, he will know how many players don't really want to be here and think the owners are idiots. He will know he could once again suffer relegation through piss poor leadership from the top and no one more than him will know the difference between playing at the Boleyn and an athletics track.

For him it was the perfect storm. I don't blame him one iota.
Graza

Re: Was Noble right to do what he did?

Post by Graza »

smuts wrote:I don't he believe he felt threatened. He lost his rag.
kayahammer wrote: Either way he's the captain and he's trying to win a game of football.

100% correct to lose his rag :thup:
Saves me typing it out.

He was thinking about how to get back into the game then went off.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Certainly not the wisest thing he's ever done but it was all in the heat of the moment. We'd just conceeded a goal so I dont think he was feeling clappy happy.

As we know, there are many on here who criticise him whatever he does... :asleep:

But give the guy a break FFS, he's C&B through and through.....
East_London_Hammer

Post by East_London_Hammer »

Nobes clearly lost his rag, he is feeling this just as much as us. i dont understand how anyone can turn on Nobel for this, he is one of us and if he wasnt on that pitch he would be protesting like the rest of us, he must feel like a muppet for his "we are no longer a joke" comment on the final day. leave noble alone he reacted just like a lot of people have done over the past few days.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He's gone up a notch in my estimation since last Saturday now that I have heard he has told the owners they can expect more demo's at future home matches, but he still massively over-reacted to that fan who ran on the pitch l
officeboy
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by officeboy »

I think Noble lost his temper because someone was wasting time and distracting things when he wanted to get on with game.

He tried to carry that Man U player off who was time wasting pretending to be injured just before we left the old stadium. To me, this was basically the same thing.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

sendô wrote:Noble was clearly pissed off at going a goal behind. Suddenly there's some wally running on the pitch. His comments after the game about protecting himself was an excuse - clearly he had the hump and took it out on this bloke. He ran towards him, pushed him over and then seemed to try to grab him by the waist and forcibly launch him off 30 odd yards off the pitch.

Yes, I agree with this. Personally I thought the guy was trying to explain to Noble what he was protesting about and he pointed at the board. However, Noble was pissed off being a goal down and seeing the crowd turn.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I'm no good at all at posting links and stuff, maybe someone can help me out, but does anybody remember Brian Clough doing something similar many moons ago?

If i remember correctly, didn't he then kiss and make up with the fan? Maybe that's what Nobes should do :D
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I will give him the benefit of the doubt but it looks like he just lost the plot after going 1-0 down. I think he can be forgiven that, a lot to carry on those shoulders of his at the moment.
Penfold711
Has liked: 2074 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

At the time that this happened, there was no protest going on and it would have appeared to Noble, in the heat of the moment, that this was a solitary and isolated incident brought about at the time when the players just wanted to get on with the game. It was a catalyst, however, for what came afterwards.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

Downright reckless and stupid by Noble.
like how the hell was he going to join his team mates in the hotel pool in Florida if he had dislocated his shoulder.

who will apply the sunscreen ?!

Or carry all the mojitos ?
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

given that no stewards had intervened at all it must have seemed a very lonely place in that centre circle on Saturday. It's an absolute unbreakable rule that fans cannot interfere with players on the pitch. How should he react to an idiot holding up play when he desperately wants to try and get back into a game? Critics have said that protests had nothing to do with losing the game, so why did the invaders come on the pitch immeadiately Burnley scored then? The stewarding was pathetic and must be addressed before Southampton but protests need to stay OFF the pitch or will become counter-productive.The press are onside with fans at the moment, we need to make the most of that rare moment they'll soon go the other way.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.