Omnishambles

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Omnishambles

Postby East Stand Martin on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:22 am

It was like Lord of the Rings down at the running track today. Unbelievable that no-one had the foresight to turn up with a ladder or at least a grappling hook on a rope to invade the Director's seating from the concourse.

What's the word that springs to mind about it all? Shambles. A f*cking shambles.

Let's just go through it all.

First of all, the march that never was. This was verging on the surreal. The Grand Old Duke of Stratford put out the crowdfunding call. Chip in your cash we are gonna march to the top of the hill and down again. Start a revolution. Everybody joins in and responds to the to the call to arms. Money changes hands. I saw the stickers on the away trips. We all did.

Suddenly, it's off. Actually, it was never really on. Apparently. It was a bargaining chip. G&T's down at Sullivan Towers and it's off. A letter from Karren and it's off.

Mistake No. 1 - you raise expectations and you dash them with little or no explanation. Everybody from the outside sees it as a sordid deal with the people that rallied the would be marchers in the first place. Conspiracy theories do the rounds. This is never going to end well.

Mistake No.2 - divide and rule by the club. A deal with the march organisers is all that's needed. Forget all the other fans groups and stakeholders. Instead of manouevring it would be better to take it on the chin and allow the pressure cooker to let off some steam. That intervention made things worse by a massive degree.

Then those that are not part of the deal are more than a tad f*cked off that it's off. Whose march is it? Is it the property of those that dreamt it up or those that want to protest regardless?

Mistake No. 3 - trying to resuscitate something that was not your idea. Better to let it go, particularly when the date chosen happens to be maybe the biggest game at home in 2018 given recent results.

Recriminations. Threats. Virtual violence. All over the press. Politics being ascribed to a dispute that has got f*ck all to do with politics. Nothing short of a disaster.

Then in the middle of it all, the accounts come out.

Club record turnover of £142.1 million and a £48.5 million profit before interest and tax. One expert saying it's the 10th largest yearly profit in Premier League history. £16.4 million paid to David Sullivan and David Gold in repayments on loans and interest. Like pouring petrol on a fire when everybody is raging about lack of investment in playing personnel.

No-one has covered themselves in glory. An omnishambles. The realty is however that the buck must stop with the owners, not the fans. They make the decisions. They have the control. They have caused the current situation and recently made it even worse.

Match day. The atmosphere is toxic. No point in going through the detail of the match because football had actually become irrelevant. Suffice to say that West Ham played pretty well in the first half and should have been in front. Didn't happen though.

Goal goes in from the opposition and pure f*cking pandemonium breaks out. The frustrations of the halted marchers get unleashed.

Pitch invasions four times. Mark Noble wrestling with a gremlin because there are no stewards in sight. Some dude running around with a corner flag like he's on church parade with the f*cking boy scouts.

Embarrassing. A pure distraction and probably leads to the second Burnley goal.

As for the jokers that supposedly are in charge of that stadium. They haven't got a f*cking clue. Never have done. Day 1, I turned up and saw fighting in the stands. Pitch invasions never happened at the Boleyn (except when Millwall turned up, but that's a different story). What kind of humiliation is it when kids are apparently given seats in the opposition dug out because safety is so compromised?

That stadium is not our home it is an alien spaceship. It's got that bad, I'm not even certain that a groundshare with the Spuds in their new place would be a worse option. You must know how hard it is for me to say that. At least we'd be in a f*cking football stadium. I've said it, because I am that angry about that stadium, which incidentally is costing the London Legacy Development Corporation £9 million in losses just to open the doors to us each year.

This was a deeply wounding week for our club. We are neck deep in a sh*tpit. It is shameful that on a day when we were supposed to be celebrating the life of a legend of our club, that it ended like this. Will we be able to get over this car crash? Hard to say, but a couple of weeks off could not have come at a better time.

Everybody has got to get a grip. Some have to get a grip more than others.

The funny thing is that I still think we are going to stay up. Despite the fact that I've seen 11 goals go in over the last three weeks. We'll see. This crazy season aint over yet.
East Stand Martin
Wasted on this site

Re: Omnishambles

Postby Tesh Di Canio on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 am

:thup:
Tesh Di Canio

Postby OFT on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:32 am

Ta ESM :thup:
OFT

Postby Albie Beck on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 am

ESM :thup:
Albie Beck

Postby Croydon on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 am

A nice summation as usual ESM, just wish I shared your optimism on staying up.
Croydon

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:48 am

I would agree with all of that except to say we didn't play well first half, we were ****. I don't think we out three passes together. All we did was have 7 defenders and hope for a goal. Rubbish
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 am

Ta Martin.
Doc H Ball

Postby Samba on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 am

Well said, Martin. You've put it all so well.
It could well be argued that getting Saturday's official march cancelled is really what caused the mayhem, during the second half. Yes, going behind in yet a further, must win game, was the spark or catalyst but someone else had already provided the fuel. Primarily GSB.
The trouble is, one can spin all of it different ways, depending on 'whose side' you're on.
The alleged 'in tears' by one or more of GSB is a case in point. However, after what they have overseen as 'just the custodians' of WHU, I saw it as crying for themselves, rather than for the club.
You could say, now they know how we feel; but it would be for different reasons.
You could also say that the Southampton & Stoke matches, both at home, should be a certain 6 points for us. Played behind closed doors as fan punishment? GSB may have to get used to empty stadiums.
Will 36 points be enough? If not, we may have to need to get points out of the 'harder' games, as well.
Samba

Postby IronworksDave on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 am

East Stand Martin wrote:As for the jokers that supposedly are in charge of that stadium. They haven't got a f*cking clue. Never have done. Day 1, I turned up and saw fighting in the stands. Pitch invasions never happened at the Boleyn (except when Millwall turned up, but that's a different story). What kind of humiliation is it when kids are apparently given seats in the opposition dug out because safety is so compromised?

Seriously? you don't recognize that carrying the corner flag to the center circled was symbolic? an exact copy of what you say never happened at the Boleyn?

One or two guys running onto a pitch is hardly an 'invasion' shouldn't happen but football is all about passion, and sometimes fans do daft things ....

The picture of that fan standing in the center circle with the corner flag will become a rallying call for all anti GSB fans (which must be 80% of us) maybe not right, but at least know your history .....
IronworksDave

Postby westhammart on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am

A great post Martin. I agree the invasion was a distraction and in my view killed off any chance of a come back when we were the better team.
westhammart

Postby Elmo'sIronBorn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Well put sir!
It was never gonna be pretty yesterday unless we went in front early.
Things still would of happened but not in the same way. We all want to be heard we are all frustrated and heartbroken at the slow death of our club.

Fully understand the symbolism of the corner flag pitch invader, the first muppets looked clueless and just having a frustration run about and didn’t help anything apart from Burnley scoring, fans in front of the board took over from the game at 0-2 and split the crowd, where I was sitting we had fans supporting our players on the pitch and fans singing sack the board and even they turned on each other, truly West Ham divided.

Just my opinion but Single pitch invaders during the game for me are not much help to club or team, it needs to be done on mass during to get the game abandon or after as a mass sit in, board protests before, halftime or after how this is organised in unity after the last few weeks I have no idea, but the protests must continue.
Elmo'sIronBorn

Postby dodger on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm

westhammart wrote:A great post Martin. I agree the invasion was a distraction and in my view killed off any chance of a come back when we were the better team.

I didn’t realise one of the pitch invaders scored Burnley’s second goal?

Well-written as ever ESM.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby East Stand Martin on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Samba wrote:The trouble is, one can spin all of it different ways, depending on 'whose side' you're on.

This one's like taking sides in the Iran/Iraq war. No side is right. My advice is don't get distracted trying to take sides. Just focus on the errors of the owners and think about what might improve the situation.

My conclusion is that their time is up. The commercial progress is there (assuming we don't go down) and things have been fundamentally stabilised. It's maybe an obtuse man that doesn't give them some credit for that. We were royally up sh*t creek without a paddle when the iceberks melted. However, this is one of those cases in life where it's hard to see what more they can add. They have taken the club as far as they can. Time to move on. Gold, Sullivan, Wenger. All in the same place.

That then leads to a huge question. Who picks up the baton?

Until we see who or what that might be, then we are left trying to bring pressure to bear for incremental improvements, like those detailed in Karren's letter.

This is the reality of West Ham United FC in 2018.
East Stand Martin
Wasted on this site

Postby Elmo'sIronBorn on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:10 pm

[/quote]
I didn’t realise one of the pitch invaders scored Burnley’s second goal?

Well-written as ever ESM.[/quote]

He might of well as done
Elmo'sIronBorn

Postby East Stand Martin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am

I've changed my mind a bit now I know more.

The dude with the flag seems like a decent bloke, just made a bad call. If the club goes for him to try and deal with any fine levied by the authorities, then I will be pitching in to help with a contribution. I wouldn't have done it myself and it didn't help the team at all, but I understand the way he feels. Sometimes your passion takes over. I'd back flag man every time against that Scouse tw*t Carragher. I know who should get the biggest slaying.

Real West Ham Fans. I am now beginning to wonder whether they cancelled that march because they knew that it would inflame the situation further. If so, it was a piece of tactical brilliance. Nah. OK, that's b*llocks.
East Stand Martin
Wasted on this site

Postby richneal on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 am

Thx yet again ESM - good job on the commentary piece. As with any writer I read I'm not sure if I agree with your take on everything but I always enjoy the results of all your hard work - your posts always bring a smile to my face.

Sad to say but I'm looking forward to the day when new owners ditch the running track . . . and opt for a ground share with the O's when we're both hovering mid table in League 2.
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Postby pablo jaye on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 am

That's a good read ... although I'd be more specific and call it a 'Hamnishambles'.
pablo jaye

Postby East Stand Martin on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 pm

richneal wrote:Thx yet again ESM - good job on the commentary piece. As with any writer I read I'm not sure if I agree with your take on everything but I always enjoy the results of all your hard work - your posts always bring a smile to my face.

Sad to say but I'm looking forward to the day when new owners ditch the running track . . . and opt for a ground share with the O's when we're both hovering mid table in League 2.

I respect your right to be wrong...

I can't face the next game at the Running Track, I'm gonna watch it live in a bar in Los Cristianos that I know. If it all goes wrong, I'll make straight for a swimming pool rather than have to contend with the tension of whether I am gonna get pulled by those 'Stop/Go' muggers on the way back to the station.

Tickets for Chelsea at 3pm today. I am having some of that.
East Stand Martin
Wasted on this site

Postby richneal on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm

East Stand Martin wrote:I respect your right to be wrong...

:D
Thumbsup thingy.
Looking forward to the match review from the perspective of a bar in Tenerife!
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Return to General Discussion