The Truth Is Out There............

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The Truth Is Out There............

Postby IABATAC on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 pm

IABATAC

Re: The Truth Is Out There............

Postby Heysel76 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Heysel76

Postby sicknote on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 pm

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/football/etr ... ain-900594

https://www.eurosport.fr/football/premi ... tory.shtml

Read these two over here , and seen on other threads lads putting up Scandinavian articles

Will keep an eye out in France for any in depth stuff

The French love a protest
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby JCA on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm

The Standard piece is the most direct and forthright so far......the storm clouds are growing darker.
JCA

Postby WorcesterWHU on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 pm

I am honestly and genuinely surprised; I thought it would be a whitewash and the fans would be painted as troublemakers, that the “poor old board” were being undermined by mindless thugs.

Refreshing to see so many taking a more balanced view. Without fans the game is nothing. There’s momentum to this story now and nothing will be providing discomfort like Miguel Delaney’s piece the other day, or John Dillon’s linked above.
WorcesterWHU

Postby GALF on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm

That's a very good write up in The Standard.
GALF

Postby HamburgHammer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Finally the press are waking up, at least in parts...This could build some momentum...
HamburgHammer

Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise

Postby JCA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 am

Martin Samuel now swinging more behind the cause. Tomorrow's piece in the Mail.....WH in a existential crisis.
JCA

Postby daytimedave on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 am

JCA wrote:The Standard piece is the most direct and forthright so far......the storm clouds are growing darker.

yep, a well measured article.
daytimedave

Postby Sir_Trevor on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 am

JCA wrote:Martin Samuel now swinging more behind the cause. Tomorrow's piece in the Mail.....WH in a existential crisis.

Just swallowed my pride and self respect to visit that vile rag's site and I would say that that is actually quite sympathetic to the Board. It closes with "The most far-fetched idea is that the board should sell up. To who, exactly? Anyone in the market for an angry hornets' nest?" Definitely trying to dampen down the fans' ardour for change.

Typically, it also tries to tug at the heart strings by saying how visibly upset Gold was especially as he had his granddaughter with him.

I think that the the tone of that article is very much one of the fans being unrealistic and deluded.
Last edited by Sir_Trevor on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Trevor

Postby simonirons on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:23 am

Opened the thread expecting to read about a couple of old boys new found wealth...
simonirons

Postby Beavis Danzig on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 am

absolutely staggered by the reaction to be honest. was expecting a coating from the traditional media closing ranks but it seems like the early swell of "classless thugs" was quickly washed away in a maelstrom of truth.

the fact is, there's more money and influence to be made showing up the board for the conmen they are than doing them any favours. for them, this is a very, very bad thing.
Beavis Danzig

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:23 am

Good to see some redress of the usual clichés.

Over to you, Sky... let's see how your Sully-sponsored lowlifes react now.
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 am

Another good article here:

How Middlesbrough got it right, West Ham so wrong.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moving-homes-traumatic-middlesbrough-right-14396216

Comments like these really hit home of how badly let down we've been by the Boards spin & BS:

'West Ham, meanwhile, have made a catastrophic decision in deciding to move from their ‘spiritual home’ to a soulless stadium situated miles from nowhere in particular'.

'possibly one of the worst in the entire top four divisions'

'In one fell swoop, the stadium move has destroyed everything that made West Ham what they were'.

'How David Sullivan, David Gold and Karren Brady could visit the Olympic Stadium and then decide it would make a good football stadium beggars belief'

'the moment it was confirmed that the venue had to retain an athletics track, that they couldn’t square the circle'.

'They could stay at the London Stadium for a century and it’ll still never feel like home'.

So depressing true :(

Tbh in the 30+ years I have supported the club this is the very, very lowest point I can remember. I dont care we get relegated tbh, there is a bigger issue here...saving our club & getting our identity back. Its like the Old West Ham United is being erased from our memories with some new, shiny model. 'West Ham London' Go f**k yourselves.

We have been cheated, lied to by this Board. we have been f**ked so bad & in my opinion its unforgivable.

The article above is spot on. Every single word.

The Stadium either gets knocked down & rebuilt into a proper football Stadium or we move.

If not, West Ham United Football Club is dead.
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby Peaches on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:44 am

Things are definitely turning, the Standard, Telegraph ( podcast), Guardian, Daily Star, Mail and Mirror are running articles criticizing GS B to varying degrees. I am most disappointed with Martin Samuel’s bland version, but the Guardian Article by Jim Kearns https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ouble-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is perhaps even better than the one in the Standard.
Peaches

Postby kayahammer on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 am

The board are running out of places to hide.

I think there's plenty of room in our trophy cabinet, the bit reserved for their haul
kayahammer

Postby JCA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 am

There have been a lot of suggestions made concerning potential sanctions for the club after Saturday's events. One has been perhaps having to play our next game behind closed doors. We will have to wait and see what the investigation conclusions are and whether the police believe stewarding & security are fit for purpose after failing the test abysmally. A question though.....if we do have to play behind closed doors, are ST & ticket holders reimbursed?
JCA

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 am

JCA wrote: A question though.....if we do have to play behind closed doors, are ST & ticket holders reimbursed?

Probably be given free tickets to some League cup game v Scunthorpe next year as compensation - but only if you agree to renew your season ticket.
The club are going to have their work cut out selling renewals this year and as sales has always been their main game, I wonder what they will come up with.
I expect Bogof's or similar.
mushy

Postby woodford on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am

kayahammer wrote:The board are running out of places to hide.

I think there's plenty of room in our trophy cabinet, the bit reserved for their haul

And they could always build a Fort Knox sized vault between the pitch and the pitch and the west stand
woodford

Postby JCA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am

Yes Mushy, I would thing they'll try to do anything other than credit cash back into credit/debit card accounts. The other scam might be how much to refund after "administration" as per Ticket Trader?

As for season ticket renewals........most people will obviously wait to see if we retain our PL status or go down. If we do drop I would expect there will be a mass exodus of the circa 20k who bought just to watch PL football casually, plus 2's etc. Also significant non-renewals by disenchanted fans - my group of 5 have started our deliberations. The waiting list, fictitious or not will largely fade away. We'll be back down to 25-28k hardcore, tourists / day-trippers / away fans.....35k crowds tops?
JCA

Next

Return to General Discussion