The Truth Is Out There............

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Truth Is Out There............

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am

The Times today:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/weve-not-been-heard-weve-had-enough-0gtxqwp78
It's behind paywall

We’ve not been heard — we’ve had enough’

I’m a home and away season ticket holder but I was advised to stay away on Saturday given the online abuse I had received the previous week. The club stood aside while the WHUISA and I were abused. Like all fan organisations accredited by the Football Supporters’ Federation, we serve our supporters and do so as volunteers.

West Ham are the only Premier League club that won’t engage meaningfully with their fans. One of the key frustrations of supporters is that their voices are not being heard. What does the club fear? There is time for them to change their position, but like the majority of supporters, our members have lost patience with the board.

The club fails to understand what makes us proud to support West Ham. Not a single one of us believes we will be a trophy-winning machine. If we wanted that, we would look elsewhere.

What our supporters have always enjoyed is being a bit different: playing the game a certain way, despite modest resources, being a little bit better in so many ways — and that included having one of the best football grounds in the country. By moving the club, they turned us into a Trotters Independent Traders version of Arsenal.

Supporters bought the story, placing their trust in people who ultimately let them down. It looked glossy, but the directors raised expectations beyond a point where they had the competence or willingness to deliver.

The lack of investment both on and off the pitch has caused the ill-feeling to spread far beyond the thousands who know the stadium is not fit for purpose. The solution that the club proposes is to expand the scouting network in the summer. We once signed Alan Devonshire for £5,000 down to good old-fashioned scouting, but the game has changed and it’s about getting deals over the line.

The club issued a statement on Saturday questioning the mayor’s staff at the London Stadium and blamed Barry Fry for relegating them at Birmingham City, ignoring their own part in creating the problem.

If the West Ham board were not happy with the deal they struck with the stadium’s owners, why did they sign it? The attempt to shift the blame is a well-trodden path but we need to face facts — the main one being a lack of investment in players.

What happened on Saturday was pent-up rage and, whatever your issue with the club is, the cause was to be found in the directors’ box, next to Sir Trevor Brooking. How David Moyes must wish that he had a player of his calibre to call on.

● Mark Walker is head of the West Ham United Independent Supporters’ Association (WHUISA)
Wembley1966

Postby OFT on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am

Some really good 'press' from our perspective,

One line of dreadful realism from the Middlesborough article;-

To realise your club will, probably for the remainder of your days, play every home game at a stadium you’ve come to detest must be an incredibly bitter pill to swallow for West Ham fans".
OFT

Postby Diogenes on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 am

One of first problems is that even many of our own are unaware of the issues. I believe at least 2/3rds who were there on Saturday had no idea what was going on. I spoke to season ticket holders behind me who were surprised at the reaction to being only 0-1 down. On the train home a group of supporters actually thought it was about David Moyes appointment/failure. Unfortunately a great majority of our own supporters are 'uninformed' or 'ill-informed'.
Diogenes

Postby JCA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am

OFT - Yes, that line stuck out a mile, brings it home to you in stark focus.

Diogenes - Despite most people these days being on some form of social media or another, reading newspapers, listening to the radio, watching TV it is amazing there are still some out there who aren't up with the programme so to say.
There are 56k individuals inside the OS each game (supposedly?) each making up their own minds, forming their own opinions, sure there are groups of fans, friends, family, etc but it's not like a union style block vote is going to happen....one out, all out.
Maybe we came close with the numbers attaching to RWHFAG and groups linking up for the planned march. Unfortunately we might sing "WH's claret & blue army" but an army we are not. The hope is that the weight of bad press & publicity gathering after Saturday does force change, whatever that brings.
JCA

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 am

The Daily Star:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/688130/JEREMY-CROSS-COLUMN-David-Sullivan-David-Gold-Bradley-Wiggins-Scott-Quigg-news

What happened at the London Stadium was akin to the perfect storm.

But Gold, Sullivan and chief executive Karren Brady should have seen it coming.
The undercurrent of ill-feeling has been brewing for a long time.
A planned protest before the game failed to materialise when Brady met representatives of fans’ groups last week.
The diversion tactic, that involved a lot of bargaining on Brady’s behalf and the promise of a donation to a cause involving a sick child, backfired when supporters decided enough was enough during the game.
But the real ghosts haunting the Hammers have reached the end game, because there can be no future under their stewardship.
Gold and Sullivan are not running the Hammers, they’re ruining them and until someone else takes charge, the situation will get worse - if that’s possible.
Wembley1966

Postby Pob! on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Heysel76 wrote:https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2017-2018/_sto6672279/story.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just about to post this link..

Brilliant article that gets straight to the point.
Pob!

Postby Paulo Futre on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

I don't have the power but all of this is becoming ridiculous.
Listening to 606 nobody that's putting the fans point of view across seems to truly get it.

Meanwhile - on BBC the quote.
West Ham will have to pay for more policing and haven't yet committed sums everything up!
Safety isn't high on the list of a P0rn baron.

Can somebody just summarize what's mighty clear. Yes Sullivan and Gold got as out of the mire however they have money, are getting old and they made their money in blue films!
Lets not forget that...
It was a risk brining them in, West Ham fans or not.

1, Signings:
Not SOLD A LIE its deeper.

Forget world class players that's the not issue its business practice.
Season after season we hear stories of people falling out with Dave Sullivan over his business practice, media comments & transfers.
Disrespectful bids for players / awful loan signings where you pay on success. Basically commission. Clever but wrong! That's what Sullivan orchestrates,
Lanzini and Adrian came good but it was very lucky they did! We don't deserve these guys...roll of the dice and cheap deals yet again they were.

2, Managers:
They are sold a LIE and it will get worse.

We cant even get managers anymore! Because of the above signings statement. Its spreading.. go to west ham.. work with those owners.. no thanks.
Bilic was 5th choice, Moyes was desperate.

3, The Stadium

Its been gut wrenching to move from Upton Park but the stadium would be fine if they stuck to promises and pumped a bit of their own cash in!
Lack of policing and poor stewards etc is their fault! They got this for free and make a mint from it.

There is a common theme between this and the above. Dodgy.

Where are we now:

The loans and messed up signings have ruined the team harmony and nobody wants to work with us or manage us.
Poor business practice has ripped the hart and soul out of West Ham. Everybody's second club.
Paulo Futre

Postby blaze.s8n on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Jim White and his pals are having a say on Talksport now... :thdn:
blaze.s8n

Postby goa127 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

There's a big division in fans between those who are in total despair and a large amount of people who are just a bit dissatisfied.
As far as the stadium is concerned there are many people who are genuinely reasonably satisfied. It's people in the upper tier who have got good views at reasonable prices. As far as the owners go, I don't think many people like them or think they're doing a good job, but many just see them as the latest in a long line of poor owners. For some the removal of GSB is the only issue come what may, but for many lifelong supporters evolution not revolution is what they want. Everyone wants a better performing team, everyone wants a united united, but not everyone hates everything about the stadium(stewarding excepted). If it was possible to buy it and improve it people I know who are season ticket holders would be happy to stay.
goa127

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Everyone wants a better performing team indeed goa but the biggest blockade stopping that happening is GSB. They hired Moyes, a very average to bad manager who has a proven record of failings in his recent jobs and they are the reason we have such an inbalanced and barebone squad. They need to go if we want to see any sort of improvement on the pitch or off it. The stadium isn't fit for football and whether or not people like it is obviously opinions but outside of the stadium it is a graveyard compared to Upton park and that is gut wrenching.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Gerblatz on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm

The press coverage and media has been largely on the supporter’s side. We need them to keep digging deeper into the problems and issues...what we don’t want is to lose the impetus- the break provides a good pause, a step back and chance to reflect...but also to pick at the scabs on the wounds GSB have caused at our club.

The truth is, the next phase of the club’s MO will be to bury and deflect the truth, with a load of bull**** and lies. They’ve already got the ****er White on Talksport spouting b*llocks about where the money has gone. Why would they really highlight the point of that above all the other problem at the club? If we want the truth to come out, the media need to be getting the facts and looking at the accounts and history of what those 3 twats and their minions have been making up over the last 5 years or so.

Their plan started, for example, before the move, when they tested the waters by Brady attempting to raise ST prices for disabled fans by over 100%. We should have started to get the truth then...joining up the dots of their strategy.

Like a multitude of our supporters, I’m angry about the destruction of our club....but even more so about this action not happening while our home was still standing and we could have done something about keeping it that way. For me the truth is, we failed ourselves and each other...the reaction to that is now.
Gerblatz

Postby Harry Hound on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Diogenes wrote:One of first problems is that even many of our own are unaware of the issues. I believe at least 2/3rds who were there on Saturday had no idea what was going on. I spoke to season ticket holders behind me who were surprised at the reaction to being only 0-1 down. On the train home a group of supporters actually thought it was about David Moyes appointment/failure. Unfortunately a great majority of our own supporters are 'uninformed' or 'ill-informed'.

This is where I despair with humanity in general. I can understand people not being informed of the details of the wars in Iraq, Syria, Libya or wherever, I can understand them not being informed on the details of Brexit and health and nutrition and millions of other issues that concern them directly whether they realise or not but West Ham fans / supporters not understanding or being uninformed on the how the Boelyn ground was sold from underneath us and replaced with the "London stadium" and all the issues related to that move, as well as the chronic underinvestment in the squad that has seen the best player, as well as the best manager we've had in decades, leave under a cloud of BS I just don't get it! Headbanger
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Diogenes on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, I feel that things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

The board will currently be focusing on 'how' it happened rather than 'why'. This is more likely to inflame the situation rather than subdue it.
Diogenes

Postby Croydon on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RhApW9oNbA

Sunday Supplement now up on YouTube.
Croydon

Postby sicknote on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Diogenes wrote:Unfortunately, I feel that things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

The board will currently be focusing on 'how' it happened rather than 'why'. This is more likely to inflame the situation rather than subdue it.

We dont agree on much, but you have nailed it there :thup:

Meanwhile ken dyer has had his say, and if you disregard the last line truce cobblers, its a good balanced read

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 87641.html
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby Iron-on-transfer on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

blaze.s8n wrote:Jim White and his pals are having a say on Talksport now... :thdn:

Yeah, listened to some of that utter sh*te. To give you a flavour and to paraphrase one of White's gems:-

Many people on social media saying I'm pro board. That's just not true, we're only talking about the facts here. My source at the club has just contacted me again to point out that the club were in a dire state before GSB arrived and it was actually them that saved the club.
He has the midget-cossack on speed dial.
Iron-on-transfer

Postby blaze.s8n on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm

blaze.s8n

Postby ChikinRun on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 pm

GSB realised something for the first time on Saturday. After years of ruthless lies, spin, bribes and manipulation, and lately intimidation, their arrogance and sense of untouchability deserted them, and they now know they are out of their depths.
For them, I hope a few journos now get the strong niff of rat wafting under their noses like a Bisto fume and they start to dig. Oh what plunder they will find.
As for the club, I feel it is lost. It will take an extraordinary person or group of people with extraordinary wealth to turn our situation around. Even then, the damage done to our club is irrevocable. How do we get our soul back?
Rot in hell Gold, Sullivan and Baroness Brady.
ChikinRun

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion