Carrick to retire

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Carrick to retire

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Underrated player. You don't stay at a club like Man Utd for that long if you're not top notch.

Enjoy your retirement Michael, just wished you'd stuck around longer in a West Ham shirt (oh how many times have i said that?!).
Cockneyboy311

Postby spod on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I used to watch that youth side a bit. Everyone was raving about Joe Cole, Carrick was the star.
Absolutely unbelievable player for his age.
spod

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 pm

mushy wrote:And it had to be you.
Firstly, I can't see anyone saying he is the best midfield player in the World.
Limited and basic? Do me a favour, his reading of the game was in itself a joy to watch, the best I would say in the modern era. Didn't need to run around like a blue ar*e fly, he was already in the right position.
If he was at West Ham this season we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.
Jumby, if you really think Carrick was all sideways and backwards passing then I feel a little sorry for you.
One of the great West Ham players was Michael Carrick, no idea how we managed to get him though.
I reckon Harry had a lot to do with that.

Haha, yup. I said he was a very decent player, and I enjoyed watching him for us, but I don't think he was as good as,

"one of the best midfielders I've ever seen" - Pep Powerball

It's criminal that he only got 34 caps, and there's no doubt that he was a very good player, but I just don't go along with all the gushing tributes. He's not even in the top 10 midfielders of his era, nothing wrong with that, not many are, but Guardiola must be off his nut to say that.
Jumby

Postby blaze.s8n on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 pm

As with many of our players from the late 90s and naughties, I was devastated when Carrick left us. It still gets me in knots at how good we could have been. I always wanted Carrick to do well, and he’s been an incredible player.
blaze.s8n

Postby Vic_Watson on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Great player. Remember that screamer against, I think, Coventry?
Vic_Watson

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Forms part of an interesting, scratch that, irritating lineage, does Carrick

Martin Peters
Paul Allen
Michael Carrick
Jermaine Defoe
Scott Parker.

A very fine player.
prophet:marginal

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Michael Carrick - 34 caps
Gareth Barry - 53 caps
Phil Neville - 59 caps
Jermaine Jeans - 21 caps
Dennis Wise - 21 caps

Only 13 caps more than Jenas and Wise incredible.
Jumby

Postby steveyrockstar on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 pm

We produced Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Rio, Johnson and (technically) Defoe, all within a very short space of each other aaaaaaaaand...got relegated! :? Cue an influx of Robbie Stockdale, Adam Nowland and Kevin Horlock to rescue us from our fall!

Almost as bad as us never challenging for the league title with Moore, Hurst, Peters and (possibly???) Byrne..
steveyrockstar

Postby old fart on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I used to watch man Utd just to watch Michael play, a joy, how he didn't win a 100 plus England caps said more about a succession of failed England managers than about him.

His reading of the game reminded me of Bobby Moore, never needed to get his shorts dirty
old fart

Postby DrVenk on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

steveyrockstar wrote:We produced Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Rio, Johnson and (technically) Defoe.

We had all of them on the books in 2000...with Noble and Tomkins in the pipeline.

Makes ya sick, don't it?
DrVenk

Postby poplargeezer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Is this part of the Carrick deal?
poplargeezer

Postby bobcar on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Jumby wrote:Very good player but I'm not buying all this best midfielder in the World b*llocks that some have been spouting, no way. Decent player, at his peak he was very tidy and efficient, at times he looked limited and basic as f**k, sideways and backwards passing in sides full of multi million pound superstars.

Sorry, I don't want to ruin the thread, but someone had to say it.

Just shows what you know about football.

Sorry, I don't want to ruin the thread, but someone had to say it.
bobcar

Postby Modern on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:30 pm

He was the absolute heartbeat of the 05/6 Tottenham team, made us tick in a Modric esque fashion. No coincidence Spurs broke into the top 5 for the first time in 15 years with him in the centre, indeed our midfield didn’t recover from losing him until Modric showed up..

Think he gave a few at Spurs Hoddle flashbacks when he was at his best.
Modern

Postby Nesticles on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Jumby wrote:sideways and backwards passing in sides full of multi million pound superstars.

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick ranked the best forward passer in Europe

http://www.givemesport.com/341202-manch ... -in-europe

Squawka Football
‏@Squawka

Most forward passes in Europe last season: Michael Carrick (2040), Mikel Arteta (1760), Andrea Pirlo (1734), Xavi (1730) & A.Chedjou (1675).
12 Sep 2013
Nesticles

Postby Patito on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh Jumby

Patito

Postby Jumby on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 pm

That was four years ago. I also said at times he chose the backwards and sideways passes, which he often did, in games where it wasn't going his or Man Uniteds way.

In 2012 Man Utd threw the league away at Man City playing a midfield of Park, Giggs, Carrick and Nani. They were pedestrian at best and Carrick was guilty of dallying around too much. It's things like that in crucial big games that made me think he was never of the level that some would often say.

I'm not, and have never said he's a poor or average player, I've stated that I think he was very good and it was criminal that he only got that many caps.

So wind your neck in, Bobcar, someone has an opinion and you have to twist it and question their intelligence.
Jumby

Postby Alfiehammer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 am

To add to this thread, he's one of those players where his fellow professionals he played with or against seem to speak very highly of him. I always think that's quite telling.

I've always enjoyed players of real intelligence p, often lacking in space, but able to read the game and pick a pass on almost another level to everyone else. I'd deffo put him in that category. as other have said, he stayed for that year we went down. Fair play to him. Shame we didn't do it against palace in Cardiff, might have stayed another year?
Alfiehammer

Postby Vienna on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 am

Turncoat, once you leave West Ham for them, you're not West Ham.
Vienna

Postby Patito on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 am

Vienna wrote:Turncoat, once you leave West Ham for them, you're not West Ham.

Like Martin Peters?
Patito

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:47 pm

old fart wrote:how he didn't win a 100 plus England caps said more about a succession of failed England managers than about him.

His reading of the game reminded me of Bobby Moore, never needed to get his shorts dirty

Exactly this, a succession of England managers tried to get Lampard and Gerrard in the team when they should have tried to build a balanced team and Carrick should have been a fundamental element.

A player who is rated by professionals for the work he contributed, enabling others to grab the headlines.
Hampshire Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion