What now?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: What now?

Postby hammerleroy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

I'll tell you what now, Friday night football and on the TV every other week. You all know what's going to happen 'cos there is no way out now. Three wins? From where I ask you. Most of the so-called first teamers will be plotting their exit, this ain't 1978, and we'll start next season with a new squad. Gawd knows who will be in charge though!!! After 50 years of going to the Boleyn I simply can't believe it has come to this. That sad photo of Sir Trev sitting alone on Saturday deep in his thoughts sums it all up for me. :(
hammerleroy

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 am

hammerleroy wrote:I'll tell you what now, Friday night football and on the TV every other week. You all know what's going to happen 'cos there is no way out now. Three wins? From where I ask you. Most of the so-called first teamers will be plotting their exit, this ain't 1978, and we'll start next season with a new squad. Gawd knows who will be in charge though!!! After 50 years of going to the Boleyn I simply can't believe it has come to this. That sad photo of Sir Trev sitting alone on Saturday deep in his thoughts sums it all up for me. :(

All that happened plenty of times at the Boleyn too.

I have been saying the board were a bunch of money obsessed shits, with no interest in the club or fans since they rocked up so I want them to go. What intrigues me about all the protests is what is it exactly people want to upshot of all this to be? Its a different scale but there were similar feelings about change when Bilic was here, we changed and it made very little difference. Are people happy with that and if not will a new board be any more life enhancing?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm

It’s very much a chicken and egg situation. If we were 7th pushing top 6 I doubt they’d be any unrest at all. Yes there would be some moans as every football club has. But nothing on this scale. However the atrocious stadium design I believe has affected our form. As the form has got worse so has the unrest. But the stadium is the root of everything. And the simple fact is in its present state the stadium doesn’t and won’t work. If the owners came out and accepted this and stated they are putting a 10 year plan in place to either develop the stadium or build a new one I think it would ease a lot of the unrest. Will they do this NO. Therefore I can only see things getting worse. If nothing changes within the stadium then I can’t see any solution.
bubbles500

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:36 pm

if we were doing better in the league there wouldn't be this level of insurrection. more of a muted acceptance that this is our lot now as we stagger on like a soulless zombie. all the mournfulness would be there but without the touchpaper to light it.

i don't want to see us in a relegation fight, but without it this opportunity wouldn't have came about. the genie is out of the bottle at this point and we'll never have to hear an army of pundits stand pitchside and tell us all what a wonderful stadium it is and how lucky we are ever again. the narrative that the board spent the last eight years setting brick by brick has been smashed apart over the course of one weekend.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Porkeyes on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Continue what we started and with the same scattergun approach. Multi walks / demos, individual protests until they **** off. I'm glad we are not all under one banner it'd be easier for them to shut it down. They cannot get away with what they have done to West Ham. :crest:
Porkeyes

Postby Demo on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Totally agree with bubbles, the stadium is the embodiment of all that is wrong. Without fixing that issue, and I don't mean putting up some beer shelves and flags (who ever came up with those as solutions?), then this is never going away.

Let's face it, they aren't going to flatten the thing and rebuild it, so how can they modify it? Manchester City dug out the athletics field/track at the Commonwealth Stadium, lowering the pitch and installing another tier of seating. Is that even a possibility? Probably not. Isn't there some dodgy soil beneath the pitch? How high is the water table? And then there's the small matter of the athletics legacy.

So we need to move......again. Can you see us buying land and building a stadium with this bunch in charge? I can't. I don't want to be the next Man City but we need a sheikh; just one with less ambition who's happy to take us back to the level that we were at (or slightly higher). That ain't gonna happen either so I think we're ****ed.
Demo

Postby Claretandblueyank on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:59 pm

The only thing that will accelerate change is to get relegated. I'd rather that if it means getting rid of owners quicker and preventing them from making millions from destroying a storied football club.

Then the OS company would likely go bust, the proposed capacity increase will be for naught and the bowl half empty most matches.

Then the government may have to do something — and it might, just might, eventually lead to relocating the club or altering the stadium significantly. I don't think GSB want to buy the ground — certainly not for the money it would likely cost.
Claretandblueyank

Postby Hamburger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

We have 10 players in our squad over 30, we have 3 loans unlikely to be with us next year and any of our decent players Lanzini, Arnie, Obiang, Chico, Carroll and Antonio could be moving on.

Given that it has been difficult to recruit (probably harder now) and that we can’t offer decent payment terms, how the fk are we going to put a squad together for next year?!?

Under the circumstances it will take years to put a half decent squad together even if we had the money. They have not only sold our ground and soul they’ve decimated our football future too. No matter how hard it has been before we’ve always had hope but I just can’t see any now ( other than that of the board going).
Hamburger

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm

What happens if Sullivan hates West Ham fans so much that he sells us to Red Bull, we become Red Bull London and play in red and white?

Its all such a shambles.
RayleighHammer23

Postby happydaystoytown on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Edited by a moderator

Politics is not allowed on the gd
happydaystoytown

Postby happydaystoytown on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:45 pm

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
happydaystoytown

Postby Hamburger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm

RayleighHammer23 wrote:What happens if Sullivan hates West Ham fans so much that he sells us to Red Bull, we become Red Bull London and play in red and white?
Its all such a shambles.

That was the fear but if you look at Leipzig who Red Bull invested in, they have gone from the bottom division to 2nd in the Bundesliga. They did start from scratch so do have bulls on the logo and the stadium is Red Bull Arena but been excellent managers of the club. In hindsight it could have been a great result for us if we had been able to keep our heritage intact and frankly I’d rather have Red Bull on the shirt than Betway!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RB_Leipzig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Hamburger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamburger

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:57 pm

But that's the point, if you get taken over by Red Bull you don't get to keep your heritage...
Hammer1972

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 pm

noble's done an interview to appeal to the support and it's uninspiring to say the least.
Beavis Danzig

Postby IronworksDave on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:But that's the point, if you get taken over by Red Bull you don't get to keep your heritage...

Is that irony? what heritage are we hanging onto now?
IronworksDave

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:25 pm

IronworksDave wrote:Is that irony? what heritage are we hanging onto now?

Which raises the point, are the people unhappy now ever going to be happy again? Its impossible to put this mess of a genie back in the bottle. Going out and buying the league might be enough for some (yeah I know) but it will still be 100 years in the bowl, 100 years of that walk, 100 years of being in the way of the shopping centre, it would mean even more day trippers and corporate seats.

Thats the problem for myself and I think a few more, what has been broken cannot be remade. I will be happy to see us win, I still wouldn't want to go to the OS though. It feels like watching someone elses team these days. I don't think any amount of boardroom competence can change that for me.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby duncanio on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 pm

If it brought the investment with it, could you handle our badge with "Red Bull" in place of "London" ?
duncanio

Postby duncanio on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:11 pm

I think I could. London is there for marketing purposes anyway.
duncanio

Postby goa127 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:50 pm

duncanio wrote:I think I could. London is there for marketing purposes anyway.

But Red Bull isn't?
goa127

Postby duncanio on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm

goa127 wrote:But Red Bull isn't?

Sorry, that's the point I'm making, its all marketing, so whether its Red Bull or London doesn't make much difference.
duncanio

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion