Tomkins, Moses, Emenike and Song....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Tomkins, Moses, Emenike and Song....

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 pm

....how would it all have panned out if we'd kept those four in summer 2016 and skipped on Nordtveit, Tore, Feghouli, Calleri, Zaza, Arbeloa etc?
bubbles1966

Location: "It's no good having an orchestra with the 10 best guitarists if I don't have a pianist"

Re: Tomkins, Moses, Emenike and Song....

Postby Believer on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:....how would it all have panned out if we'd kept those four in summer 2016 and skipped on Nordtveit, Tore, Feghouli, Calleri, Zaza, Arbeloa etc?

So we brought in 12m for Tomkins and spent zip on the other four apart from loan fees (which we will never know the true figure of). We subsequently received about £5m for Feghouli.

So they're probably around £10m up in fees. We would probably be sitting around £15m to £20m higher in prize money though so it's the old penny wise pound foolish mantra from our useless board.

EDIT - Nearly forgot we got about £5m for Nordtveit as well ! So financially about the same which is all they care about at the end of the day...
Last edited by Believer on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Believer

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Moses was a massive part of our team. Antonio was the only real replacement when Moses left (who was never going to stay to be fair). Sadly Bilic was lambasted for playing Antonio right wing back.
HammerMan2004

Postby szola on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Or keeping hold of Bellamy, Zamora and Mascherano
szola

Postby hammer1975 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Much better probably but we'll never know

Funny the things that have come out since;
Payet asked the club to keep Moses
Sakho and Song allegedly didn't get on and we chose to keep Sakho
Julian thought Emenike was excellent in training
The club apparently has some internal rule to never pay a transfer fee for a right back :P
hammer1975

Postby simonirons on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Someone who knows better then me will confirm..

Noble, Payet and Slav all wanted Moses. - Moses himself wanted to join & we had an option in the loan deal -our chairman offered considerably less then the option to buy fee. - the deal collapsed.
simonirons

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm

hammer1975 wrote:Julian thought Emenike was excellent in training

I liked Emenike. Not a great finisher, but a good line leader. Fantastic against Spurs that night we beat them at the Boleyn when they would have gone top and probably won the league from that point on.
bubbles1966

Location: "It's no good having an orchestra with the 10 best guitarists if I don't have a pianist"

Postby simonirons on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Emineke was ok - BUT....let’s not forget the position we were in when we entered January or where actually coughing up a decent fee for a striker would of got us.

For me, that window will always define the turning point for me. - I realised our owners couldn’t give a f**k about West Ham being successful.
Last edited by simonirons on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonirons

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:....how would it all have panned out if we'd kept those four in summer 2016 and skipped on Nordtveit, Tore, Feghouli, Calleri, Zaza, Arbeloa etc?

Of the 4, I think only Moses had potential to improve the team in the long term.
prophet:marginal

Postby simonirons on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Maybe only Moses would improved us, - I’d be a lot happier about our current RB & DM situation if 3 of them stayed.
simonirons

Postby hammer1975 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Emenike was always going to be judged harshly with the background rumour mill talking about Lacazette, Batshuayi and Bacca. In reality he was a damn sight more useful than Zaza and Calleri
hammer1975

Postby il_martello_di_genovesi on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm

100% Simonirons. We were a top striker signing from the top 4. No wonder Payet wanted out. Promised better signings, asked to keep Moses and we bring in a load of **** and offer silly amounts for Moses.

Moses and Tomkins in the side now and we are much better.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Postby Het-Field on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 am

I think if the contract with Song hadn’t been restricted to a small number of fixtures, and we had bought his contract outright it may well have worked. IIRC he was ready to sign on a free transfer (after a £5 Million deal was agreed). Also, if he had been fully fit, he could have made a major difference.

Moses was not going to sign, but I would love for him to have signed. He was an unsung hero of that term, and was a superb signing.

Emeneke was decent, without scoring the numbers of goals required. But he would have been a better option than many of the transfers we subsequently made.

We always knew what we got with Tomka. I wasn’t gutted that we sold him, but I didn’t feel there was any need to.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:38 am

Geting rid of Song was a bad decision

Moses never really worked for us and was on the bench a lot at the end. He found his absolute niche in chelsea as an attacking wing back. He would never have done so well in a team where defending was the order of the day

Tomkins is a good CB no doubt but has only just nailed down a strating place whilst sakho his injured. He didn't want to stay as he wanted guaranteed he would play CB, which after 2015/16, Bilic couldn't give.

Eminike didn't do well when he went back to Olympiakos and is now back up to Calleri at Las Palms

Calleri is the player we shoukd have kept, and Feghouli and nordveit
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby stu1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 am

Emineke seems to be thought of rather generously, he was very average and a typical G&S punt on a freebie striker.
stu1

Postby southendmadhammer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 am

I try not to think back to that season brcause every time I do, it reminds me of what might have been.

We had arguably the most in form midfielder in the world and bunch of talented players feeding off him well.
Only at West Ham and only with these owners could we turn that into the state we are now in.

If it wasnt so predictably it would be heartbreaking.
southendmadhammer

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Geting rid of Song was a bad decision

Moses never really worked for us and was on the bench a lot at the end. He found his absolute niche in chelsea as an attacking wing back. He would never have done so well in a team where defending was the order of the day

Tomkins is a good CB no doubt but has only just nailed down a strating place whilst sakho his injured. He didn't want to stay as he wanted guaranteed he would play CB, which after 2015/16, Bilic couldn't give.

Eminike didn't do well when he went back to Olympiakos and is now back up to Calleri at Las Palms

Calleri is the player we shoukd have kept, and Feghouli and nordveit

we were mad to get rid of all of those.. Calleri needed a season.. he got himself in some amazing positions.. so he didn't score.. bit of luck and he would have had 10 plus goals. the art is finding the space

Nord was a defensive midfielder which we now lack.. and Feghouli was just brilliant at beating his man.. imagine him feeding balls into hernandez
mumbles87

Postby Aceface on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 am

Emenike was as pointless as any other journeyman striker we've had here this decade – he was just fortunate enough to be the no-scoring striker in the team when the club was on its biggest sugar high since 86. Running about a bit and not taking your chances tends to look better when we're routinely beating the top 4.
Aceface

Postby Kludgehammer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:29 am

I think there's a bit of retroactive rosy vision over Moses. He's turned his game around since going back to Chelsea, but apart from parts of a couple of games here, he was dreadful for most of the time. There's a player in there, but he mostly didn't show it for us.
Kludgehammer

Postby swash on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

Not as good as Crosby, Nash, Stills and Young
swash

Next

Return to General Discussion