Tomkins, Moses, Emenike and Song....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Tomkins, Moses, Emenike and Song....

Postby fmgod on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am

Tomkins - The money we got was right for him, he wanted first team football
Moses - Wasn't that great here and I'm baffled he is still starting for Chelsea
Emenike - Can't remember
Song - Absolute class but no drive, otherwise he would be at a Man City or a class team
fmgod

Postby steveyrockstar on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am

Bit of revisionism going on here, especially regarding Moses, who fell out of favour with fans and club.

Losing the 4 players in the title wasn't the problem (although many would've liked to have seen Tomkins stay), it was who we replaced them all with.

In answer to the OP question, I don't think we'd be in any different position than we are now. All 4 players were fringe players. Moses might improve us now, but he has improved and found his position at Chelsea since he left us.
steveyrockstar

Postby wildkard on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 am

Tomkins wanted out and is/was still nowhere near as good as people think now.

Moses signed a new Chelsea contract while he was with us, would never have signed perm.

Song was broken (and still is), useless in all by a handful of games and upset a few people at the club.

Emineke was utter dogshit.

Having said that, the fact that we look back on these players with such a misty eyed view says a lot about the state of our club now.
wildkard

Postby e17 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 am

Interesting list of players that flattered to deceive, apart from JT, who right now would have just been another one pleading with fans to leave the pitch at 1-0 down

There is only one player in the last 3 years that we should have done anything we could to keep, and then built the team around, and they didn’t.

Payet saw what was coming first hand and reacted accordingly.
e17

Postby MD_HM on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:33 am

Keeping Tomkins, Moses and Song whilst replacing Emenike with a decent striker would have been better business.

But....

Sullivan wouldn’t pay for Moses
Sullivan stopped Song playing as more money was due to Barca and we would have had to brought him
Sullivan wouldn’t turn down 12m for Tomkins and forced him out, creating false rumours he wanted to leave.

The others were freebies and loans.
MD_HM

Postby wildkard on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am

That’s pretty much all fiction. Tomkins himself said he wanted to leave. Song was on a steep decline in quality after getting injured (no money was due to be paid to Barca - he was out of contract at the end of the season) There was never any deal in place or any chance whatsoever to sign Moses.
wildkard

Postby hammerleroy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am

Trippier would have been a snip at 3.5 mill. Said it three years ago and I'm still saying it. Waited his time at the filth, now an England international. Would've slotted straight in at our lot but of course he would never have been capped.
hammerleroy

Postby MD_HM on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

wildkard wrote:That’s pretty much all fiction. Tomkins himself said he wanted to leave. Song was on a steep decline in quality after getting injured (no money was due to be paid to Barca - he was out of contract at the end of the season) There was never any deal in place or any chance whatsoever to sign Moses.

Sorry I should have said according to our ITK at the time... but you talk as if you have insider knowledge so must be right.

We were told Song wouldn’t play again on here as payments were due, we was told Tomkins didn’t really want to go and it effected morale in the sqaud and were told we had an option for Moses but wouldn’t pay.

I could be wrong but was going from ITK at the time.

You sound like you are more ITK though...
MD_HM

Postby Hamburger on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 am

History has shown that Bilic could not get the best from players. If Moses was playing for us now I’m sure he would be performing far better than he did under Slav. Apart from which the right sided balance he would have given the squad would have have improved overall team performance too I’m sure as we have had nothing of note out there since and top heavy on the left.
Hamburger

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ction.html

dont worry this lot wouldve kept them all out of the team anyway
chigwells finest

Postby simonirons on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 am

Moses was being kept out the squad towards the end of the season by Antonio's emergence (and dazzling form) when he was called upon, did a solid job. - The players clearly thought he was worth keeping.

Without scouring Google, he did sign a new deal at Chelsea but was only due to current contract running down which would pf reduced his transfer fee.
simonirons

Postby simonirons on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:17 am

You know Ginge will turn into a walking blister as soon as that shirt comes off

simonirons

Postby simonirons on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am

Arnie Representing in his West Ham getup on the beach in florida :thup:

simonirons

Postby wildkard on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am

MD_HM wrote:
Sorry I should have said according to our ITK at the time... but you talk as if you have insider knowledge so must be right.

We were told Song wouldn’t play again on here as payments were due, we was told Tomkins didn’t really want to go and it effected morale in the sqaud and were told we had an option for Moses but wouldn’t pay.

I could be wrong but was going from ITK at the time.

You sound like you are more ITK though...

Don’t recall anyone ITK saying any of that. And you’re choosing to ignore direct quotes from Tomkins as well. He was told he wouldn’t be first choice CB, he didn’t want that, so asked for a transfer. That’s hardly being forced out by Sullivan. Song’s last appearance for us was vs Newcastle on May 25th. He didn’t play again - which would’ve been the next season - because he wasn’t signed on a permanent deal due to injury (and performance because of that injury) concerns. That he has played a whopping 14 times since then suggests the club were right not to sign him. I do actually have some inside knowledge of that, so that’s all 100% fact. Moses signed a new deal the day before he went to us on loan. There was no option, Chelsea didn’t want to sell him, there was never a suggestion of that.
wildkard

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Moses never really got going in a West Ham shirt and Emmanuel Eminike was pretty ****, and that is being kind.

We should have kept Tomkins but Song was well past it, his knees were shot to bits and he was never the same player afterwards.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm

The problem with all these blokes is simply that we got rid of them without getting anyone better in their place.

Song is like Carroll: when he's not injured and in the right mood, he's a great player. But what about the other 30-odd games every season?

Tomkins is a mostly decent centre back. But, would you pick him over Reid and Ogbonna? Maybe he's have been chosen over Reid this season because of injuries and lack of form. But, maybe not!

I wasn't aware that Payet and Noble wanted us to sign Moses. If that's true, then we probably should have at least tried to do a deal but, how realistic was that? Personally, I thought Feghouli was pretty good.

Emenike tried hard bless him but, other than in the Cup game against Blackburn (I think), he never really looked like scoring. I suppose you could say we did a like-for-like swap there by bringing in Zaza and Calleri who also never really looked like scoring.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby GaryP on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:45 pm

MD_HM wrote:Keeping Tomkins, Moses and Song whilst replacing Emenike with a decent striker would have been better business.

But....

Sullivan wouldn’t pay for Moses
Sullivan stopped Song playing as more money was due to Barca and we would have had to brought him
Sullivan wouldn’t turn down 12m for Tomkins and forced him out, creating false rumours he wanted to leave.

The others were freebies and loans.

Sullivan is a twat yes but none of the above is right.

Moses was generally **** here and didn't track back when needed.
Maybe truth in Song bit but he was playing b*llocks after the first few months here.
Tomkins wanted 1st team football and Slav couldn't promise him that.
GaryP

Postby MD_HM on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Club told you Bellamy wanted to leave once...

All of what I have said goes against the club’s official lines... but I’m sure was confirmed by ITK on here, I’m not just making it up.

Maybe if they ever return they might put it straight.
MD_HM

Postby MB on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Think there is some serious hindsight at play.

Selling your 4th choice (sic?) centre back for £12m is good business when you have youngsters on the verge of coming through. If he wanted to leave as well then that answers the question.

Song was shot to pieces before he even left us. There is a reason he has no club at the moment.

Emenike type strikers are a dime a dozen in France. I saw nothing about him to suggest he'd become a quality Premier League striker.

Moses I don't think had any intention of signing once Chelsea gave him the new deal and I think people are judging based on his form for Chelsea last season rather than his time with us which was fairly so so.

The issue is the replacements we brought in were not up to the job. We then shifted those replacements without replacing the bodies (especially in midfield) leaving a squad woefully short of numbers and more importantly ability in certain key positions.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby wildkard on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Tomkins forced out of West Ham shocker exclusive;

“The move to the Olympic Stadium didn’t really affect my decision but it showed that things are beginning to change there. I could have easily stayed there and been in and around the team but I wasn’t happy to settle for that, even though the club is going upwards. I wanted to try and play first-team football and I felt Palace was a great opportunity for me.”
wildkard

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion