Today's matches

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Today's matches

Postby GaryP on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm

DasNutNock wrote:City’s fans will always be a tier above the Chelseas, red Mancs, Arsenal, red scouse fans etc, if only because you don’t see them expressing the same sense of entitlement.

For this generation.

Once they have 10-15 years of it the next generation will be as big a bunch pricks as the Man Utd, Scouse Chelski slags.
GaryP

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Officer Dibble wrote:Not yet we don't but give it a few years.

Fair point, but at the moment, I just can’t associate them with the same kind of glory-hunting or entitlement I associate with the other scummy *big* club supporters.
DasNutNock

Postby GaryP on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 pm

brothernero wrote:please let Atletico knock Arsenal out of the Europa and then Burnley pip then to 6th spot. I want to see the next Arsenal fans meltdown. :D

Southampton will need to win the FA Cup as well.
GaryP

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm

My ex's dad was a Man City fan and he'd always talk about 'little' clubs and go on about Man City being the powerful ones now and how people don't like it. If you ask me it's happened, more and more Man City fans will take that attitude. I always said that I was, and never will be, jealous of Man City because what they've done just isn't right and I thoroughly believe that this must all feel a little hollow to many Man City fans who idolised the likes of Shaun Goater, and going much further back, Mike Summerbee, it just isn't right.
Last edited by Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Man United won the first ever Premier League, then won it again, didn't win it but won it for the following two seasons, the whole time while blooding youngsters to take over from the likes of Parker, Bruce, Robson, McClair etc. They became popular throughout the World and all of this started generating money which allowed them to become a formidable force. They didn't win it again the following season, then they won the treble, right at the point when the money was really starting to kick in. During this period of sustained success they were expanding their stadium, pushing the brand abroad, acting like a business, which, although I find it hard to take as it is essentially business thinking that has ruined the game, is why they can be talked about as earning their dominance. Nobody just walked in and pumped money into the squad, the whole thing was built over a continued period of success. Man City's success is nothing like that.
Last edited by Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby

Postby e17 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Jumby wrote:My ex's dad was a Man City and he'd always talk about 'little' clubs and go on about Man City being the powerful ones now and people don't like it. If you ask me it's happened, more and more Man City fans will take that attitude. I always said that I was, and never will be, jealous of Man City because what they've done just isn't right and I thoroughly believe that this must all feel a little hollow to many Man City fans who idolised the likes of Shaun Goater, and going much further back, Mike Summerbee, it just isn't right.

In my lifetime the title has been bought by almost every single club that’s won it.

People like the BBC & their scouse bias make it look like the 80’s were some sort of homegrown utopia, when in truth Liverpool would rip apart other clubs like Oxford for Aldridge & Houghton, Everton won titles by pinching plays like Lineker from Leicester, etc...

The amounts have gone up and the Blackburn’s and Newcastle’s become Citeh and Chelsea, but it’s the same thing
e17

Postby e17 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Jumby, as far back as 98-99, Man U spent nearly 40 million in one transfer window. They’ve gone over a billion since the premiership started

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/ ... re-8656993

A billion
e17

Postby Junco Partner on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Make you right e17, there's well spun revisionist story about Sir Alex's brilliance & class of 92 bollox.

Go right back - Jordan, McQueen...Wilkins, Stapleton & Robson...Brazil, Daveport...McLair, Bruce...Hughes, Webb & Ince....All huge transfer fee's in their day.

They ripped the arse out of other clubs and wafted their cash around like a drunken sailor on shore leave for as long as any of us can remember.

All that's changed now is a few more zero's on the transfer fees and their neighbours have a bit more cash.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm

40m made from TV deals, consistent winning of trophies, I didn't like or agree with it but it's still better than the summer and January that Man City have just had.

The picking at other clubs that the big boys have done is annoying but sadly part of the football food chain. What I don't like is Swansea have a good player that's helping them climb the table (Scott Sinclair), Man City buy him and don't play him. Fulham have a good youngster (Patrick Roberts), Man City buy him and just loan him out for years. That's wrong, that's not helping the British game at all.
Jumby

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Jumby wrote:Man United won the first ever Premier League, then won it again, didn't win it but won it for the following two seasons, the whole time while blooding youngsters to take over from the likes of Parker, Bruce, Robson, McClair etc.

Football didn't start with the Premier League and those players cost a fortune by the standards in those days.

Man U's midfield in the 80s was made up of Robson (WBA), Wilkins ( Chelsea), Muhren (Ipswich), Strachan (Aberdeen), Cunningham (WBA), etc etc.

They went around buying the domestic competition's best players - just as Man City do.

The foreign/global element is just a reflection of a changing world. It's the same stuff at its core.
bubbles1966

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Man Citys spending can't be far off a billion, in less than ten years. That's staggering.
Jumby

Postby prophet:marginal on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

e17 wrote:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/ ... re-8656993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A billion

That article needs an update, too. Must be closer, with Lukaku factored in, to £1.25bn.

Its actually distasteful.
prophet:marginal

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Football didn't start with the Premier League and those players cost a fortune by the standards in those days.

I know it didn't, but that's the first season of the money coming in so it's a significant period in the history of English football.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

It's not just the Manchester clubs though, everyone is spending crazy money, Everton sold Lukaku and then spent well over a hundred million, to probably finish 9th.
Jumby

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm

What struck me most about todays matches was just how awful Manchester United were to watch.

I can't imagine too many supporters fed a diet of flair and panache for much of the past history of that club would be too happy to watch what we saw today week in week out.

The two best teams to watch this season have been Man City and a very very distant second Spurs.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Jumby on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 pm

The Carvahal Swansea have been the best to watch for me, they don't give in and have proven everyone wrong so far, playing attractive football to get themselves out of a mess.
Jumby

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 pm

the pink palermo wrote:What struck me most about todays matches was just how awful Manchester United were to watch.

I can't imagine too many supporters fed a diet of flair and panache for much of the past history of that club would be too happy to watch what we saw today week in week out.

The two best teams to watch this season have been Man City and a very very distant second Spurs.

I find Spurs to be pretty functional, TBH - Liverpool are the only lot in the same category as Man City.
bubbles1966

Postby prophet:marginal on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 pm

the pink palermo wrote:What struck me most about todays matches was just how awful Manchester United were to watch.

I attempt a sneer, but, whilst Eriksen, Son and Sir Claimalot are excellent footballers, its LFC who play with attacking panache.
prophet:marginal

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Re Liverpool , this has been their most attractive to watch side for some time, but I can't help but feel much of it is based around a potentially one season wonder from Mo Salah - my player of the season.

As for Spurs "functionality" , a bit harsh perhaps, I reckon they have the best all around team, balancing attack and defence well. Eriksen is good to watch.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby jastons on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 pm

jastons

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion