Today's matches

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Today's matches

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

jastons wrote:https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just been sick

Oh my life that is mega cringe. Looks like the kind of thing you'd expect from Arsenal or Spurs :thdn:
Cockneyboy311

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:For me the difference now is that Manchester City have a 'bottomless' pit of money.

That's the difference for me too. That is no defence of Man Utd, Chelsea or anyone else who has brought the title by the way. It's just that City have taken the art to the n'th degree.

I'd still prefer them to win things than their red neighbours, Chelsea, Arsenal. Spurs, etc but their trophies are imho only achievements in the kind of way that Glasgow Rangers winning the Scottish third division and second division titles were 'achievements'.
DaveWHU1964

Postby jastons on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Chelsea won the league last year and are struggling to finish in the top six this year, that is some turn around!
jastons

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

goa127 wrote:When Abramovic came to Chelsea he came to a club which had built an improving top 6 team but were financially in trouble. He then lavished mi££ions on them.

Chelsea somehow lured half a team of top internationals to a mediocre, bottom-half club. And despite all the big name players they brought in, they still didn't do especially well in the league, generally finishing 5th or 6th, but in the next half-a-decade they won two FA Cups (including the season Man Utd didn't defend it) and the weakened Cup-Winners Cup.
In 1999, they became the first club to field a starting eleven without an English player.
Yet they couldn't break the stranglehold of Arsenal and Man Utd. No-one would until Abramovic had put in a 100 million for transfers.
When Abrahamovic came along and he paid off all their debts and splashed obscene levels of money around that hadn't been seen in the Premier League before.
Then he wrote off the debts over and over again. But where Chelsea became truly despicable was in buying up talent to sit on the bench and thus prevent those players from playing for rivals. Even now they have a practice of buying surplus amounts of players and loaning them out (didn't they loan out more than a squad's worth of players last season?).

You are quite right with all you say about Man City though - they are just like Chelsea - sudden, enormous injection of cash into a mediocre club, and the recruiting of players and staff that otherwise wouldn't have gone anywhere near Mosside. The global aspect puts them on a par with the Red Bull teams too. Spending as much as most of the rest of the league combined.
In 2009 they spent an unprecendented 100m Quid in a single window - not bad for a mid-table team.

I never really cared much for Blackburn Rovers - Jack Walker bankrolled their win (though to a much lesser expense - and he would not have been able repeat that in the current era) and he spent big for the time.
Just two seasons after they had narrowly avoided relegation to the third division they broke the Bristish transfer record (3.5m Quid!)!

Personally, I blame them for the kick-starting Premier League spending. After Blackburn won the title, Newcastle, Chelsea and Leeds were all mid-table clubs that suddenly started spending big on international stars and top domestic players.

Addendum:
Perhaps the reason there seems to be less bandwagoning about Man City is that they haven't won anything in Europe yet (since they became nouveau riche). And until yesterday they didn't really have a great deal to show for their ten seasons since takeover - two League titles and an FA Cup = pretty poor compared to their city rivals' utter dominance of the 90s and 00s especially considering the investment.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Row X on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:

Then he wrote off the debts over and over again. But where Chelsea became truly despicable was in buying up talent to sit on the bench and thus prevent those players from playing for rivals. Even now they have a practice of buying surplus amounts of players and loaning them out (didn't they loan out more than a squad's worth of players last season?).

They have 37.... yes, 37, players out on loan this season!
Row X

Postby Boleyn Bill on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Row X wrote:They have 37.... yes, 37, players out on loan this season!

Are you talking about Chelsea here? If so then City are even worse.... Officially they also have 37 players out on loan this season. However due to their owners either having complete control or large stakes in 9 clubs around the World in reality they own the registrations of well over 200 professional footballers.

There is a very good article on Man City's owners here:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

To those that say titles have always been bought. I largely agree. The difference with Chelsea in recent times and City even more so in recent years is that the money used to buy the titles has been gifted by a benefactor as opposed to being earned by the club.

Man Utd spend pots of money because the club generates pots of money through having huge numbers of fans and huge commercial deals off the back of their supporter base which has been built up over many years via sustained success. Man City spend pots of money because they are owned by Gazillionaires who are able to outspend everybody else at a whim. If I were a Man City fan I honestly couldn’t take much pride in my team winning the title. As I have said before it is akin to a kid completing their Panini World Cup Sticker album because their Dad purchased Panini in order to guarantee every single sticker. Where is the pride in completing your sticker album when you haven't had to scrimp and save to do smart swapsies with your mates?

Rich benefactors have always existed in football. However in previous times these were typically local businessmen who gave back to their communities by helping the local football team. Of course that first changed with the Russian at Chelsea, but has been taken to a whole new extreme with Oil Money FC of Manchester.

I wonder where Man City would be had they not have been lucky enough to be taken over by an Oil state? Mid table at best I would say. I have less respect for Chelsea and Man City than I do for pretty much any other club in the Premier League. Instead of spending billions of £s buying a football club success, surely the Mansour's could invest in improving the appalling conditions for their State's foreign workers or trying to do something about their appalling human rights record?
Boleyn Bill

Postby fmgod on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm

I have nothing against Manchester City, they are spending money the same way all the other top teams did.

Chelsea's key was the first time they won the league in the modern era

Cech was signed by Raneri I think for 7 mil
Carvalho came with Mourinho
Terry was there
Gallas was there signed by Raneri for cheap
Ferreria came with Mourinho

I mean that is an ultra solid defence, they conceded 15 goals in the league :lol:

Lampard was there via Raneri
Makélélé signed for 11 mil(seems a bargain now)
Joe Cole and Damien Duff were very solid players
Robben
Gudjohnsen still had plenty in the tank at this point
Drogba brought in by Mourinho
fmgod

Postby Jumby on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm

fmgod wrote:I have nothing against Manchester City, they are spending money the same way all the other top teams did.

Man City took things to stupid levels and continue to do so.
Jumby

Postby fmgod on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

It's all relative though to what other teams did years ago, obviously just higher numbers with how football has grown into a money sport
fmgod

Postby mrbluesky on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I hope those lovely Chelsea fans enjoy looking up the table at all those players Jose sold that would never ‘make it’ in the Premier League.

DeBryne at City
Lukaku at United
Salah at Liverpool

Jose knows his football.
mrbluesky

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Have I Got News For You Verified account

@haveigotnews 3h3 hours ago

Football fans everywhere congratulate Manchester City on winning the Premier League title, as it’s about time billionaire sheikhs caught a break.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby only1post on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Time to own up, who wants Spurs to win by four goals tonight so we can move up to 13th?
only1post

Postby simon hammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 pm

only1post wrote:Time to own up, who wants Spurs to win by four goals tonight so we can move up to 13th?

:thup:
simon hammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

only1post wrote:Time to own up, who wants Spurs to win by four goals tonight so we can move up to 13th?

Me.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Robbie on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Me too. It made me feel sick but I told two THFC fans at work that I want them to smash them.
On another point, I would hate to be like Chelsea and Man C. It's not real. Look at that video. If we ever did a Leicester there would be much more 'celebrating'. I'd sooner win an FA cup.
Up there last night and feeling every emotion going as always. That's proper football. Just think, no single Arsenal fan can tell you about the pain of relegation....They aren't fit to comment!
Robbie

Postby Hammer1972 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Have to say, I struggle to see Brighton picking up any more points after this game...
Hammer1972

Postby vmixture on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Couple of quick goals. 1-1.
vmixture

Postby djbubbles on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 pm

vmixture wrote:Couple of quick goals. 1-1.

Both by Kane
djbubbles

Postby vietnammer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Used to make the jibe at Man U fans 'Just buy Liverpool', but while it certainly doesn't hinder things if you can afford the most talented players, you still need to get them playing as an effective team. Recall back in the day Derby County spent a ton of money (10m!) getting into the top division and failed miserably. Chelsea are a current example. Giving credit to Man City, and especially Man Utd for all their success and saying it's a bit more than money.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby goof on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Unexpected point for Brighton, no given games here, plenty of twists yet, we are know where near safe.
goof

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion