Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ryanrc

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 21 days remaining

Post by ryanrc »

I've criticised Everton for the past couple of years for spending money really poorly, from Bolasie to Keane to Pickford, but I think Richarlison will turn out to be good business for them and they'll either sell him for a lot more after a few years, or have him for a decade. Fair play to them, I've always seen them as a similar club to ours until twitter highlighted some of the bellend fans we both have.

Anyway, back to our club, we've seemingly done great business this summer and addressed the issues we needed to. I'm still apprehensive over our defense and cm, (Diop and Balbuena unproven, Wilshere injury prone and just one player) and I'm not expecting miracles over night with el pell, but hopefully the board now have somebody they can trust with that money and we're building in the right direction for a few years. I reckon we'll clear out Hugill, Byram etc and bring in one or two loans before the end.

I can't wait to watch us play today! COYI
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The article on Meyer strongly suggests that he lacks pace and that they have tried to convert him from a 10-15 goal/assist attacking midfielder in to someone who sits in front of the defence. Looking at transfermarkt, the majority of his appearances this year have been at DM.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCnDiF9QdgM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

He looks another in the Noble/Wilshere/Lanzini mould.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm expecting Antonio to leave. Did OK, but it's now to time for us to move on up and for him to go to pastures new
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

doomhunk wrote:
Lord Zoltan- Stop saying pardon, it's annoying

clawhammer - Good luck with that one
! :)

It really isn't funny or clever. It's try-hard and more than a little pathetic.

I suspect it's a form of keyboard Tourettes. :shock:
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Expect 3or4 to leave as need to bring some money in.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote:The article on Meyer strongly suggests that he lacks pace and that they have tried to convert him from a 10-15 goal/assist attacking midfielder in to someone who sits in front of the defence. Looking at transfermarkt, the majority of his appearances this year have been at DM.

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCnDiF9QdgM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

He looks another in the Noble/Wilshere/Lanzini mould.
Always thought he'd be the type of player Sullivan would have been rushing to sign but it's been reported by ' Teamtalk 'and other sites that both Arsenal and Liverpool rejected the idea of signing him due to his excessive wage demands - apparently £4m per annum .
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

You add this summer's spend to the last four seasons and divide to get an average and it will still be a very mediocre spend for a PL club with ambition,imo.We really should not be selling to "balance the books", but for players who want to leave for regular first team football.
Antonio should stay, at least, until Jan - Kouyate/Obiang/Ogbonna/Antonio would need replacing,if sold, to maintain a competitive squad - Sell Snodgrass,Byram and anyone youngster Pellegrini does not see a future for,imo.
We are asking rather a lot for all "new signings" to stay fit or be "successful" and they should have reasonable competition/back up - the "front three" are interchangable, which is great, but are they replaceable?
Patito

Post by Patito »

FAH_1973 wrote:Expect 3or4 to leave as need to bring some money in.

Do we need to bring some money in? If so, how much?
Sherbet Dab
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Sherbet Dab »

e17 wrote:Personally would be amazed if the next 21 days aren’t about clearing out a few with a couple of Sully specials at best to come in

No way we’re not going to bring in a random probably useless Latin striker on loan before the trip to Anfield

A part of me would feel cheated if we didn’t.
Hate to disappoint but with Husilos & Pellegrini in charge and judging by business so far, they're more likely to uncover a 'useful' random Latin striker on loan :scarfer:
artlin

Post by artlin »

FAH_1973 wrote:Expect 3or4 to leave as need to bring some money in.

No we don't
Calverley Hammer

Post by Calverley Hammer »

ashbanki wrote:You add this summer's spend to the last four seasons and divide to get an average and it will still be a very mediocre spend for a PL club with ambition,imo
I would imagine all this year has done is extend the overdraft on the basis the capital value of the club has increased.

Back to players leaving I think it will be down to Pellegrini deciding who doesn’t fit within the team / style he wants. He clearly wants technical ability and pace in the forward line - if he wants a defensive line that can look after the ball and play out from the back then there could be plenty on the way out and a few more in.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

That Sky article on Meyer is interesting, mainly because it's regularly been suggested his wage demands are in the £4m a year ballpark (£77k a week) and that's why clubs are turning him down.

Unless that's what he wants net, I suppose.

Had a great season for Shalke last year in that deeper midfield role, broke play up terrifically (2 tackles and 2.3 interceptions a game on average). Think he could be excellent for us.
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

It depends on his attitude. After the fact none of the big teams have shown an interest whether it causes him to knuckle down and work hard or sulk. If its the first option then get him in. Might also help if he gets rid of his agent
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Max Meyer is a bit of an odd one. Has great stats on tackling and interceptions, yet gets defensive contribution flagged as a weakness on whoscored. His YouTube videos tend to be mainly about passing but the tackles on there do suggest a guy who chases down players to win the ball back. Comparisons to a conversion to deeper midfield like a young Pirlo yet he was one of the highest for stats on distance covered in the games where he played defensive mid, shows a turn of pace when he wants to and played as the shield in front of a back three with attacking wingbacks. Feels like he’d be fantastic or terrible in a holding role for us :?
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Reckon it would take two good games for most people to do a 180 on Antonio and think he was decent again. Which is pretty much what I'd expect to happen.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Two good games in succession, which might be a little less likely ;)
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

YorksHammer wrote:That Sky article on Meyer is interesting, mainly because it's regularly been suggested his wage demands are in the £4m a year ballpark (£77k a week) and that's why clubs are turning him down.

Unless that's what he wants net, I suppose.

Had a great season for Shalke last year in that deeper midfield role, broke play up terrifically (2 tackles and 2.3 interceptions a game on average). Think he could be excellent for us.
A German fella I know said we should probably pay his large wages and play him in the deeper role and he would be a very good player for us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

In the video posted earlier, Meyer's tackles are largely the trademark lunge-in-desperation type that characterise a player who lacks a yard of pace. Looks good on the ball, mind. We are well stocked with this type so it would be one in-one out, surely?

As for Antonio - he has to play as a forward. His lack of stamina and defensive effort isn't up to scratch for playing elsewhere.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Actually, according to the Skysports article, Meyer wants €8m a year.

And his agent hopes that, towards the end of the window, some Premier League club will get desperate and stump up the cash.

He is quite good, but overrated, overpriced and so... over and out.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:
Makes me chuckle
Chip Korea wrote:The only thing that makes me chuckle is the reminder I get every so often that I have one of the biggest cocks on the internet on ignore.
You ignore your cock :?