Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 26 days remaining

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I think we are forgetting that Pellegrini hasn’t only been brought in to strengthen us with new signings. He has brought in a world class back room team that will work with our existing players, and hopefully improve them.

Who knows? We might see Obiang becoming that top DM we are looking for? Kouyate might suddenly remember how to play football, and Noble might step up a gear with all these quality players around him.

With the signings we’ve made, I would not be all that bothered if we are done with incomings...
Northammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Northammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Who do you want to believe? Sean whatever or the manager. More to come he said.
When and where was this quoted? Not doubting it, only curious.
EllisWHU22
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by EllisWHU22 »

Just seen that on this day a year ago Joe Hart was having a medical with us.

Thought I'd remind people how different this window is so far :phew:
Mr P
Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Post by Mr P »

MP said that in the video interview after the friendly on Saturday. However, I took it that he was talking about Anderson who hadn't yet been announced
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

hammerman11 wrote:hughill and Martinez are not good enough I am afraid. we need decent back up players. Abrahams would be ideal for us.

ogbonna might be off to Italy so we will need another CB
How have you come to that conclusion about Hugill?
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 27 days remaining

Post by Hammer83 »

bubbles1966 wrote: A team that is too small, too slow, too short on work ethic. It was frequently too open on balance as well, and lacked resolve away from home when things got a bit rough meaning 2 goal defeats turned into 3s and 4s.

It's critical that we have two 'stoppers' in midfield if we are treating the full backs as wingers or we will be too open and will get rinsed.

The prototypes for successful 4231s / 433a are there in the PL for all to see and they are pretty much full of athletic players with technical ability, not one or the other.
I agree with this I kind of cringe when I see people putting their line ups with Noble and Wilshere as the two ‘stoppers’ those two midgets would get out paced and out muscled with ease and we will be back to conceding bucket loads of goals.Neither of them can tackle properly either they both have the tennacy to lunge in desperately.

We must sign a big 6ft plus style athletic DM with good passing and tackling skills.I like Obiang but would prefer an upgrade on him or he might be better playing alongside the player I described.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

EllisWHU22 wrote:Just seen that on this day a year ago Joe Hart was having a medical with us.

Thought I'd remind people how different this window is so far :phew:

It's Head & Shoulders above last summers window..
EllisWHU22

Post by EllisWHU22 »

somerset-hammer wrote:

I see what you did there
EllisWHU22

Post by EllisWHU22 »

somerset-hammer wrote:

I hope you arn't just rinse & repeating comments from last year
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 27 days remaining

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Hammer83 wrote:
We must sign a big 6ft plus style athletic DM with good passing and tackling skills.

Yes, if it was the 1970s.

Positioning and discipline are far more important than being a big lump. The best DMs (like Kante and Fernandinho for instance) generally aren't destroyers, instead they limit the oppos options when they have the ball. Interceptions rather than tackles.

Noble and Obiang have always been good at that, but have also been charged with providing creativity further forward. Not many have the legs to do both roles. Pelligrini's tactics should give them more of a chance to do a job properly.
Last edited by Monkeybubbles on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

EllisWHU22 wrote:
I hope you arn't just rinse & repeating comments from last year

It's possible, my memory is a bit flakey..
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

I'm actually shocked of the talk ogbonna's leaving.. Still think he's our best centre halve. Why would we want to sell our best centre half because we've bought 2 players, a 21 year old, bags of potential. and a 26 year old from brazilian league that if everyone on here is honest, know absolutely zero about. He may step up and be amazing but could also be awful. oggy is still first name on the team sheet at centre half in my opinion its for the others to take it from him.
nickstanley66

Post by nickstanley66 »

Who are we signing today?
S-H

Post by S-H »

I always thought that David Luiz, might make a decent, holding midfielder.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

hammerman11 wrote:hughill and Martinez are not good enough I am afraid. we need decent back up players. Abrahams would be ideal for us.

For me I think with all our players not just these 2 that we could see very different players developing under MP and his coaching staff....

Whether new signings or last seasons players including those out of the squad then.... that we could see some very different performances than we have seen in the past....

And I’m sure those that don’t step up will soon be on their way .... I’m sure MP will hold on to everyone for the time being (unless he’s already made decisions on some and making some other decisions before the window closes)
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I’ve heard by all accounts Sean Whetstone is a nice guy and have found that in my interactions, but in no way is he ITK about things - as his reporting has shown.

Not saying we are going to sign more players (I think we might) but if he’s saying that then it’s a case of 2 + 2 = 4.... or rather 7 + 0 = 7
MKD

Post by MKD »

Tammy Abrahams the player we need... If only because no one appears to know his name didn't have an s on the end. Next season's James Tompkins perhaps
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Billydinho wrote:How have you come to that conclusion about Hugill?
Or Martinez, for that matter - 21 and not a minute of Premier League football played, still very prolific at U23 level.

Am I right in thinking we went 4-3-3 against Wycombe, but 4-2-3-1 against Winterthur? Seems like Pellegrini is working out how to play at the moment - personally I think we've always looked better 4-3-3 in recent seasons, with two wide guys high up the pitch pushing the opposition full backs.
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

I think we're only going to be looking at loans and freebies now. Not complaining, i think this has been a fantastic window. Could we still improve in areas by spending more, yes of course, but we don't have an unlimited budget.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Abraham didn't look great at Swansea last year. Ended up being dropped for a few months too.