Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by thejackhammer »

I think Phillips could make a good rightsided alternative to Masuaku if we stick with the same formation.

I still think our problems remain in midfield, every other position is forced to compensate for that weakness.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1832 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Hamburger wrote:.
Here we go :lol:

http://www.claretandhugh.info/report-we ... drid-star/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imagine one day when we start bidding the asking price for players we have got a mini milks chance in hell of signing :lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Phillips is having a sprightly game. Far too good for Moreno.

Gibbs wouldn't be a great surprise if Evra goes and Moyes sticks with Cresswell at left CB, or if Cresswell goes.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

So the last few pages I’ve seen people want Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Phillips and Rondon. Excellent.

WBA are terrible. Let’s aim higher.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:So the last few pages I’ve seen people want Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Phillips and Rondon. Excellent.

We went down with Scott Parker, Demba Ba, Winston, Tomkins and Noble.

Fabulous goal by Rondon.

The idea that because a team is being relegated, all their players are crap is nonsense.

Robertson and Maguire went down last year and are starting every week for teams in the top 8.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Yes to Matt Phillips
No thanks to Gibbs
Undecided on Foster

Still think the best buy from West Brom would be Chadli
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

There's precious little difference in quality between the teams from 7th to 20th - run of luck, kindness with injuries, behind the scenes disruption with blocked transfers, early season momentum or drag and the like.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: early season momentum
This is huge. The hanging around for last minute bargains to save cash and switching of fixtures has had a big impact this season.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yes, early season form can dicate the whole mood of the season - it certainly seems to here.

Is West Brom's team appreciably worse than Burnley's? I can't see it at all.

Barnes is having the season of his life (like Josh King for Bournemouth last year) and the 'keeper is having a blinder.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

HammerMan2004 wrote:So the last few pages I’ve seen people want Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Phillips and Rondon. Excellent.

Tbf most people are suggesting the players who did well for them last season. The players haven’t suddenly got crap, something has gone seriously wrong behind the scenes. Games like the last couple show what they are capable of.

On a budget though I still wouldn’t shop from the relegated clubs as you don’t get much of a discount.
MB

Post by MB »

I also don’t get the Shaqiri obsession. Seems to only turn up half a dozen times a year and has also eaten a doughnut for each completed pass this season by the look of him. The Payet diet.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

MB wrote:I also don’t get the Shaqiri obsession. Seems to only turn up half a dozen times a year and has also eaten a doughnut for each completed pass this season by the look of him. The Payet diet.
Shaquiri and Rondon are about the same standard to me . 5 games a season when they are brilliant, the rest forgetable. Championship stars, premier league also-rans
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's an element of realism.

Any player we want who is similarly wanted by the top 6 or an elite European team won't be coming to us. We're generally working with their hand-me-downs and not-quite-good-enough for top 6.

The teams that go down will be under more pressure to sell their better players than those who survive hence the names being bandied around.

The case for Shaqiri is that he is 26, likely to want out and he has 13 goals or assists this season. That's 5 more than Lanzini, while Mario has never got anywhere near that. Is he top drawer? No. Has he got something going for him? Yes. Would he fit our system? Possibly not but Carroll and Antonio would probably benefit from his Payet impression.

Rondon, 28, will rumble around making a nuisance of himself and generally leading the line competently. He again has 10 goals in all comps this season (he's done that every year bar one since 2010). Compare that to Hugill. Is he top drawer? No. Is he decent? Yes. Would he fit our system? Probably. He'd probably be very handy for Hernandez.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Can't disagree that we won't be able to get Europe's finest, but people keep moaning they want 'upgrades'
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

bubbles1966 wrote:It's an element of realism.

Any player we want who is similarly wanted by the top 6 or an elite European team won't be coming to us. We're generally working with their hand-me-downs and not-quite-good-enough for top 6.

The teams that go down will be under more pressure to sell their better players than those who survive hence the names being bandied around.

The case for Shaqiri is that he is 26, likely to want out and he has 13 goals or assists this season. That's 5 more than Lanzini, while Mario has never got anywhere near that. Is he top drawer? No. Has he got something going for him? Yes. Would he fit our system? Possibly not but Carroll and Antonio would probably benefit from his Payet impression.

Rondon, 28, will rumble around making a nuisance of himself and generally leading the line competently. He again has 10 goals in all comps this season (he's done that every year bar one since 2010). Compare that to Hugill. Is he top drawer? No. Is he decent? Yes. Would he fit our system? Probably. He'd probably be very handy for Hernandez.

Not many Premier League teams play with a central Immobile striker any more, that has largely gone completely out of fashion. It is more winger/strikers nowadays and that is the way forward
MB

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote:It's an element of realism.

That is a few more contributions than I thought he had this season and I also thought he was older than 26.

It would be him or Lanzini though unless (somehow) we get a back four to work or completely overhaul central midfield
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Shaqiri is a quality player that would improve us. I wanted him three years ago, was mocked on here for suggesting we could get him, six months later he joined Stoke.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Shaqiri is one I wouldn't advocate for or against. Not sure he's necessary or that the club will spend in that position; I'd be surprised to see him in the team along with Lanzini.

I'd see us looking more at Lemina, Romeu and Krychowiak for our particular midfield issue and the owners guiding the manager to the one with the preferable finances.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

If there were any players I would take from West Brom, they would be Evans and Livermore. I think a Livermore has been their best player thus year and would solve our defensive midfield problem. Evans is a solid experienced defender who has a 3m release clause and would be a good mentor for Rice and Burke.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Peaches wrote:If there were any players I would take from West Brom, they would be Evans and Livermore. I think a Livermore has been their best player thus year and would solve our defensive midfield problem.
Livermore?! Lol. He won’t come anywhere near us after what happened in January! Agree that he would be a good fit in the team though.