Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 21 days remaining

Post by mumbles87 »

Patito wrote:Arnautovic got more than double the amount of goals Richarlison did last season. The impact each player had in their respective club last season isn’t even remotely comparable. 5 goals last season for Richarlison, 5 goals. He’s certainly got talent but he is miles away from being the finished article and nowhere near a £50 million player imo.
21 year old will have sell on value
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Alan Nixon stating that he still expects Byram to go to Forest.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Mumbles - yes they do, I alluded to that in my post, but is he a 50 million player?? Contributing 5 goals? Fair enough if you think he is I really don’t.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Patito wrote:Mumbles - yes they do, I alluded to that in my post, but is he a 50 million player?? Contributing 5 goals? Fair enough if you think he is I really don’t.
I don’t think he is but if Watford value him at that then that’s what Everton must pay for him

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Since Almiron got linked to us again recently, I want to point bring up another MLS player-- keeper Zack Steffen. Columbus just rejected a £3m bid from Bristol City for him. If Adrian goes back to Spain this window I think he could be brought in to backup/compete with Fabianski for maybe £4-5m. That boy is brimming with potential.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Patito wrote:Arnautovic got more than double the amount of goals Richarlison did last season. The impact each player had in their respective club last season isn’t even remotely comparable. 5 goals last season for Richarlison, 5 goals. He’s certainly got talent but he is miles away from being the finished article and nowhere near a £50 million player imo.
The counter to this is that Richarlison is 21, at 21 Arnie scored 3 goals.
In fact Arnautovic has exceeded 6 league goals only twice in his entire career. It's not at all outrageous to say Richarlison has more transfer value than Arnautovic. He's much younger, and better than Arnie was at the same age. If you buy Arnie you hope to get 2-3 years of performance (likely somewhere between last year's level and the rest of his career average) before he declines. With Richarlison you're hoping for continued growth, and you have the chance to sell him for more than you bought if you want as he'll still only be 24-26 when his contract ends.
Patito

Post by Patito »

mumbles87 wrote:
I don’t think he is but if Watford value him at that then that’s what Everton must pay for him

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it

Very true, and if they pay around that mark I think they’re massively overpaying. They need a goal scorer imo.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

£50m is the price for proven, not a prospect.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cellar-door wrote:
The counter to this is that Richarlison is 21, at 21 Arnie scored 3 goals.
In fact Arnautovic has exceeded 6 league goals only twice in his entire career. It's not at all outrageous to say Richarlison has more transfer value than Arnautovic. He's much younger, and better than Arnie was at the same age. If you buy Arnie you hope to get 2-3 years of performance (likely somewhere between last year's level and the rest of his career average) before he declines. With Richarlison you're hoping for continued growth, and you have the chance to sell him for more than you bought if you want as he'll still only be 24-26 when his contract ends.
We are talking about Arnie at his peak though, someone who was amongst the best in the league the second half of last season. 17 goals and assists in 20 games.

Again you’re right he has only scored 7+ twice but how many of those seasons has he played as the central
Striker? None as far as I am aware.

I get the potential point, but 5 league goals? How many more are they expecting him to get? £30 million id understand but 50 million sounds crazy. Mahrez only went for slightly more than that this summer.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Everton probably wanted Zaha.but baulked at Palace's £60/£70m valuation so went for the slightly cheaper option
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

e-20 wrote:What was it ?
The TV show was "I didn't know you cared". The words are from the character Stavely.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

bubbles1966 wrote:£50m is the price for proven, not a prospect.
Pickford was £30 million. One season in a poor Sunderland team. People questioned the fee and at times his ability last season now he is firmly England’s number one
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

mumbles87 wrote:
Pickford was £30 million. One season in a poor Sunderland team. People questioned the fee and at times his ability last season now he is firmly England’s number one
He's crap.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

In the 22 or so minutes he's played he never really left an impression - other than he's not quite up to the Premier league standard.

In a way Hugill reminds me of a ex-Liverpool player we had - Neil Mellor. Just not good enough.[/quote]

Unfair to judge him on the playing time he had so far - especially how poor we were last season. I think he deserves a chance.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Will be interesting to see what happens with Richarlison. Dropping £50m on a Watford player is the kind of thing that gets managers fired.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Blimey, I wonder how much Jamie Mackie must be worth.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

vaz te's bonnet wrote:Whats astonishing is Richarlison to everton for 50mil. Absolute joke of a price
If this happens then Everton have done us a big favour: massively inflating the market after we’ve done our buying but before we do our selling.
Last edited by OohAahButler on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Have Spurs ever spent £50m on a player? Arsenal - maybe one? Chelsea - one/two? Liverpool have never spent that on a forward, have they?
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Patito wrote: We are talking about Arnie at his peak though, someone who was amongst the best in the league the second half of last season. 17 goals and assists in 20 games.

Again you’re right he has only scored 7+ twice but how many of those seasons has he played as the central
Striker? None as far as I am aware.

I get the potential point, but 5 league goals? How many more are they expecting him to get? £30 million id understand but 50 million sounds crazy. Mahrez only went for slightly more than that this summer.
At 29, the likelihood is we just saw the best year Marko willl have, also buying into a single season or crediting it all to a move central is a poor way to project forward. He played striker plenty in the past, he never had the success there he did last season or his clubs would have kept him there.

A 21 year old putting up 5 and 4 is a very good year, and while 40M-50M isn't a deal I'd personally make, he's young with success everywhere he's been, and he'll have resale value. Everton can't get the true top tier of player like Mahrez, his value was deflated by his running his contract down and he'd never accept a deal to an Everton, so they're getting someone that they think has a chance to be that eventually. They look at a quick skilled young Brazilian and say "could this be our Coutinho?" and his production is better than Coutinho's was at the same age, so they could be right. If they're wrong they still got a solid player that can help them and be sold on in a few years to minimize the cost. Resale value is huge, especially with the structured payments. 30M for a 29 year old is really more than 50 for 21, because when you get to the last payments of the 29 year old he isn't worth anything, when you get to the last payments on the 21 year old he's probably worth not much less than he was, maybe more.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Puff Daddy wrote:Based on Richarlison's proposed fee, Antonio's gotta be £20m/£25m
Pardon?