Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by bowltorious »

£40 million on Butland and Allen? Their price should be going down not up when relegated.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Vienna wrote:I'd like to resign Tomkins, he is quality.
So would I.

And Stanislas. Bloke scores every 5 games in the PL. Goal or assist every 3 games.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Tomkins was always on the "to replace" list. Kouyate is a far better centre back and the day he's made to go back there and play there will be a relief to all.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tomkins is much better in the air than any of our centre backs. He's as comfortable on the ball as all of them. The one thing he always lacked was pace.

Out of 282 PL players on whoscored, he's currently rated #16.

He is the perfect centre half in the middle of a back 3. A dominant header of the ball who passes it well.

Let the likes of Reid, Ogbonna, Kouyate, Rice etc sweep up around him.

Stanislas would be ideal now as well. He doesn't need to be the secondary full back that Allardyce wanted him to be but a flair player with freedom to play. Much more suited to us than Fernandes or Mario. Scored 12 times in the last 2 PL seasons. One year left on his contract.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

It still grates that we sold Tomkins, bought a 34 year old to replace him and now don't have either.

Appalling business. We have to thank the thick as pig **** owner for that one still living off a Christoph Dugarry purple patch.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

smuts wrote:It still grates that we sold Tomkins, bought a 34 year old to replace him and now don't have either.

Appalling business. We have to thank the thick as pig **** owner for that one still living off a Christoph Dugarry purple patch.
Don’t forget he actually owns an awful purple blazer too!
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

bubbles1966 wrote:
And Stanislas. Bloke scores every 5 games in the PL. Goal or assist every 3 games.
He tore us a new one last time we played them. As soon as he came on, they were back in the game.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ideally you don’t want to be playing a back three - at the moment we are as the team needs the extra security. A back four is the way to go.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

goa127 wrote:Our Belgian correspondent recently posted that Dendonker was playing really poorly. Is that still the case? I've never even seen the fella, but he seems to be many people's dream date
That's what happens as soon as it's rumoured that we're interested in a player. I believe that Lacazette had a **** spell at the beginning of last term after we put in a bid.

Mind you, that's nothing compared to what happens if they actually sign for us.

Our best hope for a result next week is to put in early bids for Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero and Jesus. They might rupture something laughing!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

smuts wrote:It still grates that we sold Tomkins, bought a 34 year old to replace him and now don't have either.

100%

Brainless economics.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ironing Board wrote:Ideally you don’t want to be playing a back three - at the moment we are as the team needs the extra security. A back four is the way to go.

Only if we get the players to accommodate it. That's the issue.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Colours never run wrote:
Only if we get the players to accommodate it. That's the issue.
I'd guess that his point was... why go out and buy players for a 3 man back line, when we could play 4 at the back with the right signings which "should" help the players we already have up-field.
Colours never run

Cellar-door wrote: I'd guess that his point was... why go out and buy players for a 3 man back line, when we could play 4 at the back with the right signings which "should" help the players we already have up-field.

Aye, which comes back to what I said. We can't afford to do it just now because we lack the players to support it. I have no problem reverting back to a flat back 4 as long as the quality is there in the backline and in the midfield to make it work properly.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Unless we are bought in the summer and new, mega bucks owners appoint a new top name manager and he is given a thick wedge to buy top players, we will be everybody's favourites for relegation next year.Therefore, won't ths seriously effect who we can buy this summer ?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

bowltorious wrote:£40 million on Butland and Allen? Their price should be going down not up when relegated.
£40m is about right. Both players are upgrades on Hart and Noble.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Going slightly off topic, going back to our underwhelming January window, would any of our 'outs' have played against Arsenal? I don't think they would but maybe some disagree?
ads78
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

One of the key things that we lack is leadership on the pitch. It has been clear on numerous occassions that we simply capitulate once we go behind.

A few years back we tried a transfer policy of bringing in leaders all over the pitch (Neill, Parker, Upson, Ljundberg, Bellamy) and while not all of those listed worked out as we had hoped, you could see what we were trying to achieve. As well as addressing the lack of pace and the positional issues in the squad, I think that we need to bring in one or two real leaders who are prepared to roll their sleeves up and lead from the front when things aren't going well.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

goa127 wrote:Going slightly off topic, going back to our underwhelming January window, would any of our 'outs' have played against Arsenal? I don't think they would but maybe some disagree?
Fonte in the back three.

Cresswell LWB.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Sakho or Ayew both scored more and ran channels better than Mario and Fernandes, and contributed more in open play than Chicharito.

The biggest challenge is not investing in the January window but let’s not lose sight of the fact that we were actually weakened. Especially for options in last 20 to inject energy and score a winner.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

prophet:marginal wrote:I am assuming that everyone suggesting Shaqiri is an upgrade on our present squad didn't watch our recent match against Stoke.
Think it was a real coup for Stoke to sign him a few seasons back, and certainly showed what he was capable then, but he seems to have grown ever more complacent and lazy, plus his fitness looks like it’s suffered.

Won’t struggle to make it into the national team still, but then where is his competition?

Whatever you could have levelled at Arnie, before we signed him, his fitness wasn’t in question, just his application.

Every transfer needs to count this next window, as a result - Shaqiri, avoid.