Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Sloop John B »

WestHamIFC wrote:I was impressed with Kurt Zouma last night, playing Right-Side of their back 3. Arthur got no change out of him at all.

Only has 1 year left @ Chelsea when he returns from his Stoke loan, so shouldn't cost the earth. Still only 23 years old.
Zouma signed a six year deal last summer.

I thought their number 2, Bauer, looked decent last night. Austrian Team mate of Arnautovic, only signed recently (Jan 18)
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Definitely think we should try for Ward-Prowse, would massively increase our threat from set-pieces.

Only Stoke player I would consider is Butland
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

swash wrote:Definitely think we should try for Ward-Prowse, would massively increase our threat from set-pieces.

Ward-Prowse is utter quality. I’d be amazed if a bigger side wasn’t sniffing. Make you right on Butland too, he’s also a very good goalkeeper. I look around and there’s not too many vacancies for a no.1 spot right now. Possibly Arsenal in the summer? He may well have to settle for a club like West Ham
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

swash wrote:Definitely think we should try for Ward-Prowse, would massively increase our threat from set-pieces.
Why... can he beat the first man?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Ryan Sessegnon is a player I would really like to get a hold of. If we could cobble together a £30 Million deal, or a £20 Million + Player (Hugill/Byram/Snodgrass) deal. It would show some serious intent.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Het-Field wrote:Ryan Sessegnon is a player I would really like to get a hold of. If we could cobble together a £30 Million deal, or a £20 Million + Player (Hugill/Byram/Snodgrass) deal. It would show some serious intent.
No chance.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

DasNutNock wrote:
No chance.
Totally agree. But its nice to dream.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I'm not sure dreaming does anything more than lead to disappointment.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Het-Field wrote:Ryan Sessegnon is a player I would really like to get a hold of. If we could cobble together a £30 Million deal, or a £20 Million + Player (Hugill/Byram/Snodgrass) deal. It would show some serious intent.
I actually had a dream the other day we signed him (sad I know).

Him and Maddison would be fantastic, forward thinking business. Not even unrealistic if we had slightly ambitious owners.

If they just had the foresight to realise these types of signings pay dividends in the long run. This is exactly how Spurs went from a team like ours to a regular top 4 team.

I imagine we'll overspend on another short sighted 28 year old, who we'll get 18 months out of and then sell for a loss instead. Or a freebie defender who'll be predictably useless.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Listening to this week's 'Totally Football Show' Podcast they revealed that since the start of the 2016 season and despite only playing 18 games for WHU since that date Dimitri Payet remains 2nd for chances created (only Lanzini ahead of him).

If our lack of creativity, game plan and attacking threat wasn't already abundantly clear, especially after last night's insipid attacking performances from Fernandes and Mario, then i think that stat goes a long way to showing an area of the squad and coaching sorely lacking.

In all honesty we look devoid of any idea in the attacking third whatsoever beyond give the ball to Arnie and Lanzini and hope for the best.

Given Arnie has probably done enough this season to be considered our starting Centre Forward next season, i would like to see us bring in someone capable of playing alongside Lanzini in one of the positions behind the striker. Ideally with more of an attacking instinct than Lanzini and someone who looks to get in the box and score goals.

If we are going to persist with Wing Backs next season, we also desperately need an Attacking RWB capable of driving us up the pitch and balancing our attacking play out. We're currently far too predictable with what feels like everything coming down our left-hand side as given we don't seem to have the ability to pass through the lines and build play that way, our tactic seems to be give the ball to Arthur, hope he can advance us and win a corner if we're lucky.

Side note - as bad as our free-kicks and corners were/are, i've never known a team as consistently awful at throw-ins as we are. The inability of our players to make a move for the throw-in taker or for the throw-in taker to provide a half decent ball to his feet is hugely frustrating.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

ryanrc wrote:
I actually had a dream the other day we signed him (sad I know).

Him and Maddison would be fantastic, forward thinking business. Not even unrealistic if we had slightly ambitious owners.

If they just had the foresight to realise these types of signings pay dividends in the long run. This is exactly how Spurs went from a team like ours to a regular top 4 team.

I imagine we'll overspend on another short sighted 28 year old, who we'll get 18 months out of and then sell for a loss instead. Or a freebie defender who'll be predictably useless.
I would love to get players like Sessegnon, Loftus Cheek, Maddison, Foden, and McTominay for that reason. It’s investing in youth and ambition. At that point you could also bring a cheaper elder statesman to guide them, along with Arnautovic, Noble, Zabaleta, Lanzini, Reid, Ogbonna and Ginge. Declan Rice could also be added to this contingent as a young up and comer with major promise.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

madhammer wrote:Side note - as bad as our free-kicks and corners were/are, i've never known a team as consistently awful at throw-ins as we are. The inability of our players to make a move for the throw-in taker or for the throw-in taker to provide a half decent ball to his feet is hugely frustrating.
Our set piece play, in the main, has been woeful for decades.
mental hamster666
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by mental hamster666 »

Our set piece play, in the main, has been woeful for decades.[/quote]

What's Diamanti up to these days!!? :scarfer:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

DasNutNock wrote:Our set piece play, in the main, has been woeful for decades.
We had a French chap that was quite useful a couple of years ago. We got rid and got Robert Snodgrass in though.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Ward-Prowse doesn’t always start for a poor Southampton team. No thanks.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

EvilC wrote:We had a French chap that was quite useful a couple of years ago. We got rid and got Robert Snodgrass in though.
Amalfitano? He was okay, I guess.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

mental hamster666 wrote:Our set piece play, in the main, has been woeful for decades.
What's Diamanti up to these days!!? :scarfer:[/quote]

Since he left us, he has had about 6 clubs, including Gaunghzu Evergrande in the Chinese League.. Currently with Perugia in Serie 'B', where he has made 6 appearances this season, but he has scored 1 goal though
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Dendoncker on his way to Atletico Madrid. €20m apparently.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Dendoncker on his way to Atletico Madrid. €20m apparently.
I wonder if their owner offered €4m for him ??
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

good keeper, but may be a bit expensive and for a keeper he seems to have a fairly poor injury record.

on second though nevermind... he'll fit right in here.