Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Jeffcoate321

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Someone will likely do the same with Tarkowski this summer
Probably them again!
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

its fanciful i know , but we need to be spending upwards of 100m net to enable us to compete with the middle tier of clubs in the premiership . so poor has our recruitment been , without spending that i'd make us certs to go down next season
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I can't believe you've managed to write about us spending £100m this summer without any laughter.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:If there is any truth whatsoever in Everton wanting Cresswell for £25m we should be signing the deal off for the opening day of the window.

He's not half the player he was before his knee injury. We could replace him with any left footed centre-half. Has nobody noticed nearly every goalkeeper in games we play aim their balls towards him for them to complete in the air? He's a weak spot and won't ever play LWB for us.
If anyone is mad enough to pay £15m for him we should bite their hand off. £25m would be mental
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

War Pony wrote:If Real don't win the champions league perhaps we should put a cheeky bid on zidane
He would play more games than Carroll :)
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

It's not just what we spend, look at Everton's summer spending binge.They spent a huge amount of cash and ended up worse off. Their purchases of Rooney, Keane, Schneiderlin, and Siggurdson have done nothing to improve their team. 'Experts' were saying at the start of the season that Everton would be challenging for the top four. Hmmm
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hamburger wrote:.
Masuaku linked with Spuds & Chels for £20m,
Masuaku has just begun to form a very effective partnership with Arnautovic - if Marko had been braver against Chelsea they would have replicated his second goal against Southampton and we would have left the Bridge with all 3 of the points but he chose to bring down the ball instead of volleying it .

NO WAY should we be selling Arthur to anyone .
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I can't believe you've managed to write about us spending £100m this summer without any laughter.
Lanzini 50m
Masuaku 20m
Antonio 20m
Cresswell 10m

Spend 30m on the never never, add a couple of loans.... bank the rest, job done

100m :lol:
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Coaching and improving players seems to be a dying art. You can't always buy exactly the players you need. So you need to train always and coach them. We never seem to improve many players, certainly defensive ones. They all get worse

Of course it would be good if we could get a couple of decent full backs, but look around the other teams outside of the top 6. All sorts of randoms playing there. Some converted centre backs, some converted wingers. Some cheap buys who have been improved. Hard work on the training ground does that

A strong, reliable, quality CB, a disciplined athletic DM and decent coaching and there should be no excuses not to play a 4-2-3-1 for most games. Other teams do it.
Good Post Crouchie, coaching in Britain and the training of coaches in Britain is woeful with clubs including ours preferring to import ‘seasoned professionals’ rather than coach/train our own prospects. However I have to say Moyes is an improvement, as he has managed to get a tune out of some players (Arnie a prime example).

Also it never ceases to amaze me that U23 players will only get 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there in crap competitions to show what they can do whereas new signings (like Tore etc) will get 10 starts ‘to settle in’.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

War Pony wrote:If Real don't win the champions league perhaps we should put a cheeky bid on zidane
ageing hammer wrote:He would play more games than Carroll :)
Better with his head too...
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 458 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

goa127 wrote:It's not just what we spend, look at Everton's summer spending binge.They spent a huge amount of cash and ended up worse off. Their purchases of Rooney, Keane, Schneiderlin, and Siggurdson have done nothing to improve their team. 'Experts' were saying at the start of the season that Everton would be challenging for the top four. Hmmm
To be fair, they showed ambition and everyone of those signings would be a massive improvement for us. Keane is maybe the exception but Rooney, Schneiderlin, Siggurdson, that striker from Turkey and Pickford would all walk into our first team (maybe not the striker from Turkey if we play Arnie up top).
The problem Everton had was their lack of pace which BFS fixed in January by signing Walcott. Also they lost Lukaku and Barkley was on his way out and then left which really screwed them over. And if they bring in a half decent attack minded coach in the summer then Everton will be laughing whilst we will still be crying.
The bad thing is that Everton will be able to cast a good net to find a good manager and will be above us in the pecking order for good managers out there as it is a more appealing job(actually get to spend money and don't have GSB around). If we replace Moyes we will be signing whoever falls through Everton's net, most likely Martin O'neil or another Dinosaur like Moyes.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:There isn't a good full back at the club.

Zabaleta used to be a great one but he simply can't live with pace these days. Cresswell never could. These players are playing where they are because they cannot make a four work.

Four at the back with this squad would certainly take us down. There's about two years worth of results and performances as evidence.

The idea that one midfielder would be enough is fanciful.

MB is correct; if you want a high octane, high energy pressing team names like Hernandez and Carroll certainly don't make the team sheet either.
Bang.on.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If we look at the clubs who are really making waves (and there aren't any from 8th down) they are loaded up with pace, youth, energy, physicality.

Man City, Liverpool and Spurs conspicuously dump anyone who won't run or can't run quickly. Even Man U are doing it - having briefly made an exception for Ibrahimovic.

Burnley are this year's West Brom/Bolton/Stoke/Wimbledon - playing a pretty dour defensive game that relies on a big bloke or two to nab a goal.

We are probably one of the best 'football' teams in the group from 7-20 (we score some lovely goals at times and are one of the few in that group who score more than a goal a game), but we have had a dreadful defensive unit - that has been too slow in transition, too small against the high ball and too half hearted in defending as an 11.

More energy in CM would help with a bit of that but it will still leave us light in several areas.

One of the reasons for Moyes' risk aversion is that he knows we are severely lacking in some defensive areas and need to try and rely on quantity to compensate for a lack of quality and vitality.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Well, there you go, as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, one player whom I think would be a great fit for us in our midfield would be Danny Drinkwater and this looks like becoming a step nearer reality this morning according to today's ' Telegraph'. As usual, the stumbling block is likely to be the size of the fee Chelsea would demand, although no actual figure is mentioned in the article, but the player himself is reported to be interested in making the switch, especially as he will not have to move home again inside 12 months, but read all about it in that paper today
Crouchend_Hammer

Danny drinkwater is a typical lazy west ham signing. Not the answer by any means. We need the Kante style player, not Drinkwater
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Danny drinkwater is a typical lazy west ham signing. Not the answer by any means. We need the Kante style player, not Drinkwater
We need both. There is another report today saying we are also battling it out with Spuds to sign Andre Gomez from Barcelona
Crouchend_Hammer

An in-form Obiang, supported by a proper DM is better than drinkwater IMHO

Of course, I wouldn't say no to Drinkwater, but his price will be ridiculously inflated and we will need to use the limited funds we do have more wisely
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Drinkwater would be a signing lacking imagination and a plan on how we are going to play.....it continues to feel like someone who is simply scouting on fifa. He’ll probably need replacing in 2 years, false economy in my view.

Why are we being linked with him when we don’t have this DoF we’ve been promised anyway. Where is this DoF we’ve been promised?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammer1975 wrote:Drinkwater would be a signing lacking imagination and a plan on how we are going to play.....it continues to feel like someone who is simply scouting on fifa. He’ll probably need replacing in 2 years, false economy in my view.

Why are we being linked with him when we don’t have this DoF we’ve been promised anyway. Where is this DoF we’ve been promised?
I know. Why sign him and Gomez too, when we have Noble and Fernandes?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think we need to see who goes before deciding how much we will spend. gsb will contribute max 40m

so anything else will be generated by player sales.

Antonio 25m cresswell 25m carroll 10m Snodgrass 10m

hart and Mario end of loans frees up wages

Collins end of contract. 1 year player coach deal maybe ?

we need to keep lanzini, arnie,ogbonna and Arthur

we need a total overhaul but that wont happen.

ideally we would get rafa coming in but I reckon they will stick with moyes.

GK, RB, CB, LB, DM and CF needed as a minimum 6 players of first team quality !