Summer Transfer Window 2018- CLOSED/ BUT OPEN IN EUROPE

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Gold revealed it on the radio interview. We currently have a budget of 20 million (maintaining our curious debt of 100 million)

We need at least 8 players imo. The ones to shift are either loans or past it.

i only have a cse in Maths....but I think we are screwed. And Gold is a crook.Pardon?
User avatar
Hugh Jargon II
 
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Gold must do it deliberately. They must properly hoot with laughter, just imagining how much it winds us all up.
User avatar
prophet:marginal
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Location: Panicking now, to avoid the rush.

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Gsbgsb on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Presuming we stay up what we need is in part irrelevant, it is what we get that matters. Say we even have a budget of £80m (yeah right) most identify “needing” 8 to 10 players, meaning a lot of players around the £10m pound mark and that buys nothing now days.

I have nothing against a couple of out of contract players or low cost “gambles” but then spend the bulk on 3/4 quality players. It means we have not shifted all we might want but as long as the squad is balanced and has 1 or 2 quality players in each department then that to my mind is the way to build year on year.

The numbers can be catered for from what we have and the younger players but it is getting in the right quality players that will determine next year. This summer we got one right (post Bilic) in Arnie, one Ok throughout in Zab and two pretty much fails in Hart and Hernandez. Also it left the squad unbalanced - the famous reluctance to actually spend on a defensively minded midfielder.That to my mind is the real criticism a conversion rate that is not good enough combined with poor balance.
Gsbgsb
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:43 am

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:Presuming we stay up what we need is in part irrelevant, it is what we get that matters. Say we even have a budget of £80m (yeah right) most identify “needing” 8 to 10 players, meaning a lot of players around the £10m pound mark and that buys nothing now days.

I have nothing against a couple of out of contract players or low cost “gambles” but then spend the bulk on 3/4 quality players. It means we have not shifted all we might want but as long as the squad is balanced and has 1 or 2 quality players in each department then that to my mind is the way to build year on year.

The numbers can be catered for from what we have and the younger players but it is getting in the right quality players that will determine next year. This summer we got one right (post Bilic) in Arnie, one Ok throughout in Zab and two pretty much fails in Hart and Hernandez. Also it left the squad unbalanced - the famous reluctance to actually spend on a defensively minded midfielder.That to my mind is the real criticism a conversion rate that is not good enough combined with poor balance.



If what you say is true, we will have a summer transfer trove of £80m, then that will be truly amazing. Since we will structure payments over the duration of the players contracts and not purchase any of them outright, we should be able to buy some true quality with a kitty such as that
User avatar
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
 
Posts: 21488
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: Westham Way

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Jumby on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Shaqiri
Allen
Butland
Dawson
Evans
Chadli
Tadic
Ward-Prowse

If the bottom three all go down that's who I'd pick from them, assuming Butland would never come to us, unless Stoke accept 5m over 5 years and a signed pair of Darren Randolph gloves that were given back by a raffle winner. With all that in mind we'll probably let Adrian go and replace him with either Fraser 'Hills Have Eyes Jaw' Forster or Ben 'Bacon Butty/Fish And Chips Friday' Foster. A one year deal for Crouch too. Classic GSB.
User avatar
Jumby
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Location: Sparring with Michail Antonio

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby HammerAl on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Wonder if Liverpool would let Clyne go? I know he’s been injured but looks like Klopp rates TAA and Gomez highly.
HammerAl
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby MB on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

The isn't a lot of value shopping from the relegated sides as the wages are so high and the clubs will still want top dollar.

Why pay £20m and £100k a week on a 6 or 7 out of ten like Joe Allen when you can pick up the same player in France for a fraction of that?

I wouldn't do business with any (current) premier league teams unless it is to poach a youngster. Why waste your buying power by shopping where it counts for nothing?

I also wouldn't sign any outfield players over the age of 25.
User avatar
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
 
Posts: 15019
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Believer on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm

MB wrote:
I also wouldn't sign any outfield players over the age of 25.


Make you right there. Also agree that we should be doing what we should have done last summer and the summer before....3 top class signings and a couple of loans / freebies. None of this 10 players in that will be sold next summer at a tidy profit for the owners nonsense.

I'm actually dreading it as it'll be the usual garbage spouted by Sullivan
User avatar
Believer
 
Posts: 5159
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby the celestial insect on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Assuming we stay up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hart signed permanently, probably taking a wage cut in the process [for PR sake].
User avatar
the celestial insect
 
Posts: 4912
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:06 am
Location: working on a sex farm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby bubbles1966 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:09 pm

the celestial insect wrote:Assuming we stay up, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hart signed permanently, probably taking a wage cut in the process [for PR sake].


Nor would I, and probably on a free.
User avatar
bubbles1966
 
Posts: 45417
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: Net spend since 1/1/18 = £45m

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Can't see us buying a DM if we keep Obiang and Noble is still first team material as we have Rice who could fill in if needed - if we do go looking for one maybe put in a bid for Southampton's Romeu , at 26 he'll help bring down our average age .

Shame Burke didn't come on as well as Rice has done otherwise we'd be well set for centre halves , as it stands we're going to need at least one , Jonny Evans at £3m please .

Right sided midfielder/winger - personally I'd be looking at West Bromwich pair Nacer Chadli and Matt Phillips , would give us energy and accuracy of cross .
User avatar
The Old Man of Storr
 
Posts: 15704
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Lost In the Recesses Of My Mind .

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Diogenes on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:20 pm

If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

Anything less is admitting failure or admittance to stand still.
User avatar
Diogenes
 
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby e-20 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 am

Diogenes wrote:If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

Anything less is admitting failure or admittance to stand still.

Diogenes wrote:If we are to progress, the minimum budget required is 60m.

Anything less is admitting failure or admittance to stand still.


I make you right. Simon Jordan last week reckoned to try to ensure you remain in the Prem you need to spend £50 mill per season though he did clarify not necessarily all net. That shocked me as that is well over what we will regularly or even occasionally these days spend. And that is not taking into consideration just how weak and unbalanced our squad is so on his basis 50mill looks light in our situation.

As such what with the realisation of that and reading others comments here I get progressively more depressed by the day.
1) if we go down I can't see any easy way up
2) if we stay up I can't see a division as weak as this year in which sadly we still looked decidedly, indeed woefully uncompetitive.
3) the turn around of players, want outs, forced or required just through age or injury alone is scary and difficult to see it will be navigated successfully even if decent funds were available.
4) even if we had the budget to accomplish 3 (highly unlikely) we no longer have the pull of recent seasons or the competence in doing so to attract the players required and we know Sullivan will not change, he still thinks he is a winner suffering bad luck or from the incompetence of others. Plus the necessary turnover even if completed well will disrupt the team at a crucial stage with confidence already drained.
5) the stench of negativity and general incompetence, delusion and failure around the club at every level will only be deeper.
6) the fans depression without positive changes to the above (which we know will at best be superficial) won't improve leading go more negativity, potentially much more toxic than currently.
7) the owners are out of their depth even on Even in a kindergarten kick around and will never accept the realities and change their approach even if faced by a TVG closing in on them as they discuss which direction to travel on their pump trolley. Thus it's only the timing of the disaster that's in question it seems to me.
8) and like Wenger Sullivans prime goal is to prove he can still succeed no matter what the evidence to the contrary. After all he will be defined by this so the club, fans whatever is secondary to his ego and place in history.

So for me it's likely the glorious choice of are we to be Villa or Sunderland in the foreseeable future.
User avatar
e-20
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm
Location: London ish

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby thejackhammer on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 am

Out:
GK: Hart
Def: Evra, Byram (£5 million)
Mid: Snodgrass (£12 million), Kouyate (£15 million)
Att: Chicharito (£15 million)

£47 million

In:

GK: Johnstone (£5 million)
Def: Fredericks (Free), Moore (£8 million)
Mid: McGinn (£5 million), Leko (£8 million), Dendonker (£20 million), Mario (£20 million)
Att: Balotelli (free)

£66 million

Johnstone
Rice Ogbonna Moore
Fredericks Noble Dendonker Masuaku
Lanzini Arnautovic
Balotelli

Adrian, Reid, McGinn, Antonio, Mario, Hugill, Leko

Top 8.
User avatar
thejackhammer
 
Posts: 6801
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 am

Does anybody else think we should add Cullen to the list of outs ? I know we haven't seen that much of him, but when he has, to me, he looks like he hides in midfield
User avatar
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
 
Posts: 21488
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: Westham Way

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 am

He had two teeth kicked down his throat. You call that hiding?
User avatar
prophet:marginal
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Location: Panicking now, to avoid the rush.

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby White Goodman on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Gold revealed it on the radio interview. We currently have a budget of 20 million (maintaining our curious debt of 100 million)

We need at least 8 players imo. The ones to shift are either loans or past it.

i only have a cse in Maths....but I think we are screwed. And Gold is a crook.Pardon?


20 million?? They really are a couple of piss takers aren't they.

What's the ****ing point if that is the limit of their ambition?
User avatar
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
 
Posts: 15971
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby artlin on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am

MB wrote:The isn't a lot of value shopping from the relegated sides as the wages are so high and the clubs will still want top dollar.

Why pay £20m and £100k a week on a 6 or 7 out of ten like Joe Allen when you can pick up the same player in France for a fraction of that?

I wouldn't do business with any (current) premier league teams unless it is to poach a youngster. Why waste your buying power by shopping where it counts for nothing?

I also wouldn't sign any outfield players over the age of 25.


I mostly agree with this.

However, I would take Ward-Prowse if possible. Such a talent!,
User avatar
artlin
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Too far up my own arse

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Bill on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am

Why do we put ourselves through this bull**** every transfer window? You know Sullivan won't spend proper money. We've been complaining that he's bleeding the club dry, and then all of a sudden people on here convince themselves that we have decent targets. We will spend feck all and use the scattergun as usual. You know this!!
User avatar
Bill
Stranded in the smog
 
Posts: 9867
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Postby Geoff Peters-Moore on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 am

Heaton, Johnstone
Adam Smith
Evans
Wilshere
Dendonker
Phillips/Ward Prowse
Balotelli/Smalov

Out
Hart Adrian (unfortunately - I still think he would be a good no 1 if those I'm front of him inspired more confidence)
Evra
Byram (quality and injuries)
Reid (Injury prone)
Obiang (won't be an automatic choice and we might need the money)
Antonio (think he will now get frequent hamstrings)
Snodgrass
Hernandez
Geoff Peters-Moore
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronhammer, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], HighWycombeHammer, Miyagi, tall paul, tolbinc and 34 guests