Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

mrbluesky

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 58 days remaining

Post by mrbluesky »

Having watched 60 minutes of Smolov playing against an abysmal Saudi team, I think I can say we dodged a bullet there.

(Cue a Sully special signing at the end of the tournament!)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

But Sully has retired from transfer duties..

:wink:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If that is correct BM@TB, what would be the point of budgeting in January to get us over the 500m mark... and then spending a shed load of money in this window?
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

somerset-hammer wrote:Explosive stuff BM@TB
Whether or not it's all true, I'm not sure... but I don't see reason for my mate to be jerking me around on it just to get a rise out of me. He knew a lot of specifics.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Read between the lines, they're putting it out there in the media they are gonna try and spend close to £75m and so they should be. Far far less then they will rightly get dogs abuse again after all the recent disappointment and bull**** since the move. And yes, they do need to spend close to that to properly transform this squad, even taking into account some Bosmans.

They can't be seen or heard screaming the actual figure from the rooftops (even for them) during the window otherwise Clubs will take the piss with demands but they can intimate it through parts of the media/mouthpieces without actually saying it themself to get the message across to the fan base.
Last edited by Colours never run on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Queue the Sky Sports woosh of news that is a breakin!

I kinda hope it's true, at least it'd make sense of this fiasco
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

somerset-hammer wrote:But Sully has retired from transfer duties..

:wink:
And Putin ‘retired’ as President of Russia!
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
what is the most we've ever spent before?
I guess it was the summer we signed Payet. Don't remember the figure though, hopefully this window will resemble or be better than that one like he "probably" quoted....

That transfer window was pretty good.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Burnley Hammer wrote:If that is correct BM@TB, what would be the point of budgeting in January to get us over the 500m mark... and then spending a shed load of money in this window?
I actually asked him about that and he said Pellegrini's added value to the club at the moment and Sullivan knows that giving him some investment will likely payoff in the long run. He also said it'd be a PR nightmare if Pellegrini didn't get investment from Sullivan and ended up walking before managing a match. He said that Pells and Sullivan butted heads pretty much from the go, but Sullivan backed down out of fear Pellegrini would walk if he didn't get what he wanted. That would set all the other plans back considerably.
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

The Gold quote

"You can’t put a figure on [what Pellegrini has to spend this summer] because you don’t know the players who are going to leave, therefore that will add to the kitty, or wont, as it might be,”

“What I can assure everybody is that we’ll probably spend more money in this window than we’ve spent in any window in the past.

“That bodes well for our intent and we must wait and see where it takes us.”

“He’s working on it right now, that’s his job, that’s why he’s been brought in

“He’s identified the positions he feels he needs to strengthen and it’s up to him now to tell us the players and we’ll do everything we can to bring them in.

http://www.claretandhugh.info/well-prob ... than-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is pretty promising from the chairman and I am optimistic about this transfer window.
Last edited by Tackler on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Tackler wrote:
Yeah but here is a direct quote from Gold.

"West Ham Chairman David Gold told Talksport listeners that West Ham were ready to spend more this summer than ever before."

http://www.claretandhugh.info/well-prob ... than-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Depends what 'spend' means. Before the transfer window the owners may have thought "we probably aren't going to sell anyone for big money, so £75m is a level of 'spend' that sounds doable"

Just because Arnoutpvic then gets sold for £60m doesn't mean they are then going to 'spend' £135m, esp if he goes right at the end of the window

Man City Net spend dwarfs everyone else because they have unlimited cash and haven't sold anyone for big money recently

If Real Madrid decided to buy DeBruyne for £200m, Man City's Net Spend would fall
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Years ago my parents were on a jolly having a tour of the nearly completed Olympic statdium. The tour guide said very confidently that the stadium will eventually be given to West Ham. All rather anecdotal but Khan can’t continue to ignore a loss making venue. The political pressure is enormous.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

It makes sense, Hugh.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

So in terms of actual facts...

We're probably going to spend more than any other window, and whatever that amount is - it may or may not include money from player sales. Nobody actually knows anything more than that, right?
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

somerset-hammer wrote:It makes sense, Hugh.
The reason I decided to share was because it almost made too much sense. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here and I don't think my mate is trying to do that to me, either. I have known him for a very, very long time.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Gsbgsb wrote: So explain Burnley or why Palace have had several struggling years? Explain why Everton struggled start of last year?

We will have to disagree.

In fantasy land we could have paid £175m or whatever it was for Neymar - yes we would have been better but still a poor team overall with a huge net spend. It is the right player(s) irrespective of if they cost £5m or £25m that matters. I agree you increase the chance of a player succeeding the more you spend but plenty of expensive players have failed, plenty of cheap ones succeeded. Getting the scouting right and players playing the right system is as important if not more so for me.
Burnley were a great story last year and plenty will point to them as an example but that’s unsustainable they won’t be there again next season because they won’t spend the money to stay there

Everton spent the money and poor start or not they still finished in a position we would have more than taken at the start of the season

Scouting and management I completely agree are vital and no we aren’t gonna rival the top sides in the league for cash but we haven’t spent anywhere near what we should have done on the squad and it’s shown

Hopefully the midget twat feels more comfortable spending money with a better scouting system and manager in place ... I’m sceptical
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

BM@B wrote:Whether or not it's all true, I'm not sure... but I don't see reason for my mate to be jerking me around on it just to get a rise out of me. He knew a lot of specifics.
Not doubting the information. Variations of the theme have been floated before. In essence, we've always been a money making scheme for our owners.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Not sure this is explosive - surely we already knew:

1) the move was always about making money for G&S. Hence they killed off WHU as it was;

2) the intention has clearly been to keep us in the premier league because without that the club will not sell;

3) the bigger spend this year is because without it we will go down.

They have done everything in accordance with what BMATB says. They got very nervy when the ICF pitched up threatening to spoil the party so they even bought them off.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by fester »

Years ago my parents were on a jolly having a tour of the nearly completed Olympic statdium. The tour guide said very confidently that the stadium will eventually be given to West Ham. All rather anecdotal but Khan can’t continue to ignore a loss making venue. The political pressure is enormous
I actually remember you (or someone else sharing this information. What BM@TB has said doesn't surprise me in the slightest and I have always believed this to be the case. It's why Kia wanted the club and the Icelandics and Fernandez.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

One Peter Butler wrote:They got very nervy when the ICF pitched up threatening to spoil the party so they even bought them off.
He actually mentioned the turning point as being the Burnley match fiasco. He said Sullivan realized that if he wasn't careful he'd lose support of the base and the value of the club could plummet.