Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by BostonHammer »

We will buy a player around 20m and a player around 10m to replaced Lanzini and Hernandez who will have netted us considerably more than 30m (try double, 60m). We will sell one of Kouyate and Obiang, only to replace them with someone of the Harry Arter mold, a championship punt. We will also sell Antonio who has become too big for his britches without replacing him because we've got Martinez/Samuelsen/Holland/Fernandes waiting in the wings supposedly. We will buy Fredericks from Fulham to compete with Byram, but not spend any other money defensively since Burke/Ox are supposed to be ready by now. Our third striker, as usual, will be Andy Carroll who no one will buy in the last year of his contract.

I am fairly certain this is essentially how the window will go. Anyone see any unreasonableness with my predictions? This is all under the assumption that Sullivan can't find a buyer for the club in the next three months.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

BostonHammer wrote:We will buy a player around 20m and a player around 10m to replaced Lanzini and Hernandez who will have netted us considerably more than 30m (try double, 60m). We will sell one of Kouyate and Obiang, only to replace them with someone of the Harry Arter mold, a championship punt. We will also sell Antonio who has become too big for his britches without replacing him because we've got Martinez/Samuelsen/Holland/Fernandes waiting in the wings supposedly. We will buy Fredericks from Fulham to compete with Byram, but not spend any other money defensively since Burke/Ox are supposed to be ready by now. Our third striker, as usual, will be Andy Carroll who no one will buy in the last year of his contract.

I am fairly certain this is essentially how the window will go. Anyone see any unreasonableness with my predictions? This is all under the assumption that Sullivan can't find a buyer for the club in the next three months.
Probably not a mile off.

I'd throw in Snodgrass being treated like a new signing and cut the fees for Manu/Cheech by about £20-30m.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

We will sign Sturridge, Sissoko, Hart, Loic Remy and Smalling. Sell Lanzini for £30m, Hernandez for £10m and Rice for £15m. Late sale of Ogbonna and Arnie on the final day of the window.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I think we’ll spend net more than people are suggesting - around the £40m net spend level, but won’t see the £70m net which we are capable of spending given the last few windows saving

The much bigger issues though will be:
Retaining the players we want to (Arnie, Lanzini)
The shorter window
Our boards penchant for only spending money on attacking players and in instalments

It really concerns me the lack of urgency getting a DoF in...it reads across as a sign that they don’t get how catastrophically **** our approach has been since the move
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

hammer1975 :thup:

They clearly see the DoF as someone to implement their plans rather than someone to be given a budget and work with the manager to develop the strategy from scratch.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Kagawa being mentioned on the KUMB homepage: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's 29 so not a spring chicken but would still improve us no end.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Patito wrote:Kagawa being mentioned on the KUMB homepage: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's 29 so not a spring chicken but would still improve us no end.
At RB?

:D
Patito

Post by Patito »

somerset-hammer wrote: At RB?

:D

I suppose so, I mean, we don't really have one do we?
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Well next season is going to be fun.

Irrespective of our position we need a clear out of deadwood (again) and considering our squad is already short, we are going to need some numbers coming in. Problem is when we are being quoted to pay £25-£30 mil on Championship midfielders they are going to have to really weigh out some funds.... do you see the problem already

Adrian will be off as he hasn't been established for the last two years so potentially two keepers needed. Our defence is a catalogue of extras from Dad's Army and the Walking Dead so pretty much an upgrade needed all round. We don't have a midfield of note and we are short up front before Chica is off and Andy C is put out of his misery.

So, fag packet maths -

2 x keepers
3/4 defenders
3/4 midfielders
3 x forwards

Mr Gold mentioned in that radio show a budget of £20 mill if we don't want to chip into the debt. So to that end we are royally ****ed.

So, what will be the answer? The likes of Lanzini, Antonio, Carroll being vilified and sold to generate funds? Wouldn't bet against it.

What do I think will happen, I think we will buy approx. two players around £20 mil and a couple of freebies and loans. Then more of the same next year. :crest:
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Johnny_C WHU wrote: Mr Gold mentioned in that radio show a budget of £20 mill if we don't want to chip into the debt. So to that end we are royally ****ed.
It’s amazing his maths are so abysmal when he is someone who claims to be a self made millionaire through his own skill rather than luck

Last accounts show turnover over £180m and wages at £95m

Spin, spin, spin

#GSBOUT
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

we made a profit of £48 million last year, must be on course for similar this year, depending on final league position. To my naïve imagination they could spend a net £80mil without increasing the debt. (Yes I know the £48mil isn't cash, but then neither would the transfer spend be).
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

20m? If that's all we intend to spend we're f**ked.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The club haven't spent a penny net since we first kicked a ball in a Premier League game at Stratford. What is there to suggest they will change that??

They will try to cut the cost of the payroll and then work on a 2+2+2+2 basis with ins counterbalanced by departures.

2 signings worth about a combined £30m-£35m + 2 signings for a combined £10m + 2 borrowed + 2 freebies. (they've pretty much done that in summer 2016 and 2017)

They are pulling money out of the club, not putting it in. The profit is there to pay their debt interest, pay agent's fees (our percentage is near a league high as a percentage of club spend) and fatten the place up for sale.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

upton o'good wrote:we made a profit of £48 million last year, must be on course for similar this year, depending on final league position. To my naïve imagination they could spend a net £80mil without increasing the debt. (Yes I know the £48mil isn't cash, but then neither would the transfer spend be).
The next set of accounts will show an even bigger profit.

Sold Ayew, Sakho, Nordveit, Fletcher, Feghouli, Randolph, Fonte & Valencia.

Only spent £50m in transfer fee's for 4 players, 2 of them being Hugill and Haksabanovic.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Did gold actually say £20m?
Did the interviewer say anything to that??
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Totally depends which Division we are in. Championship - only Noble and perhaps Rice remain so complete overhaul with best players from Championship or lower. Stay in Premiership I think £50m + with Sullivan loaning more money at interest +.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Mario Balotelli - the spirit of Di Canio lives within
Ryan Fredericks- the pace that we need.
Dendoncker - sit in front of the defence and don’t move.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

A Front 3 of Arnautovic-Balotelli-Shaqiri would be a lot of fun. With Shelvey or Wilshere in midfield, plus Antonio & Masuaku staying as the Wing-Backs we might even see a return to the fabled 'West Ham Way'..

Kurt Zouma only has a year left on his Chelsea contract when he returns form his Stoke loan, there's a player in there who could be brought back to his best again under the right coach and he's only 23.

A DM? Choose one from Dendoncker / Ki / Fellaini / Carvalho / AN Other

I'd go all out for Tom Heaton. Nick Pope now owns the No.1 jersey @ Burnley and will do for some time.. it beggars belief that some want Fraser Forster!

Won't be sad to wave goodbye to Hart, Evra, Mario, Kouyate, Fernandes, Carroll.

Of course all the above is a Pipe Dream and will never happen... :wink:
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Fellaini - Worked with Moyes, from Man U and FREE!

Ballotelli - Ex Man City Legend and FREE!

And whatever other freebies, ageing big names and unknown punts they can muster.

Thankfully, I now go into the transfer period with absolutely no expectation. We will be linked with a few exciting names that just fail to make it over the line as we always do.
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

They will appoint a DOF after the summer window closes and then sack him/her before the January one opens....simples.