Is the waiting list a scam?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Is the waiting list a scam?

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm

@WestHamUtd claim to have ITRO 50,000 fans on a waiting list for season tickets.

So even if the club continue to lose 5,000 season ticket holders every year, as per last season, it'll take ten years to clear the current waiting list - assuming the club's figures are accurate.

Hence if 50,000 people have paid £10 to join the list, that's another half-a-million the club have taken from supporters (am enjoying these easy numbers).

But here's the thing; @WestHamUtd are still taking £10 from fans to join the list, even though they have little to no prospect of getting to the front of the queue any time soon - if (and I stress 'if') the club's figures are accurate.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair and reasonable. Your thoughts welcomed.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Is the waiting list a scam?

Postby Nick Sneddon on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm

yes
Nick Sneddon

Postby sanchoz on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 pm

I asked the question at the SAB on 28th February when the waiting list came up of do people have designated places in the queue so you know you are number 1, 2, 3 etc untill numbers 49,999 and 50,000. Nicola Keyes (if I remember correctly) said yes and that people were going to be called in batches to see if they still wanted to register interest in getting a season ticket, for you to then apply at a later date.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Bill on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Without a doubt!
Bill
Stranded in the smog

Postby AlfieG on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Do bears crap in the woods?

Does the Baroness ever stretch the truth or tell un-truths? :asleep:
AlfieG

Postby HalfTimePie on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

It's GSB, of course it's a scam
HalfTimePie

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Do I believe there are a substantial number of people that have paid to be on this list? Yes. I know quite a few that registered for and never got appointments for season tickets for the first season.

Do I believe there are 45-50,000? Not a cat in hells chance.

Is it a scam? As long as it's being administered properly (e.g. #1 on the list is the first person called when a ticket becomes available) then no. All clubs that have hit their limit for ST holders do something similar. A friend of mine has been on the list at Anfield as long as I've known him.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

I've been on the waiting list for nearly 3 years.

I have heard nothing in those 3 years, I probably never will.

However, If a ticket did ever become available, I would have no interest in taking it.

An easy money making scheme, and yet another way to rinse the fans of their cash.

Are any of us really shocked thought?
somerset-hammer

Postby szola on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 pm

It's :crest: donate button

You give money to the club, without any returns or information about what you have paid for.

It's not a Ponzi scheme, though. Not quite.
szola

Postby The Boleyn Hound on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Many Arsenal fans are acting like landlords with their season tickets, renewing every year with no intention of going, and renting out the ticket to the same person for the whole season.

The invention of a waiting list at West Ham (did we ever have one in our smaller-capacity stadium when the football was just as crap?) artificially creates this kind of behaviour (although I'm not saying our fans are doing it), as well as providing the club with an additional revenue stream for doing nothing more than adding your details to a database.

There are those on the ladder and those not on the ladder..
The Boleyn Hound

Postby Kialos on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:26 pm

I think there was a waiting list up until around 2000. Nothing of note since then until the LS then all of a sudden in addition to another 25000 odd STH added to existing numbers we've got 48000 more wanting a ST.

I think it a great shame that there are obviously quite a few non WH fans with ST for the LS yet genuine WH fans have paid their £10 to try to get one and failed.
Kialos

Postby DDHammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 pm

I joined it in June 2016 and didn't get a call last summer, had to grab one in Club London to get one this season but it shows I'm still on the waiting list on my ST holder account.

I don't believe the waiting list is anywhere close to 50,000. How long ago was it they used to advertise half season tickets on the radio? Essentially they're saying with another 20,000 season ticket holders at the OS, and 50,000 now waiting, we've picked up 70,000 fans who want to attend games over the last 5 or so years?

I think it's about 3000 tickets that go on sale to Claret Members which pretty much always reaches general sale, so how can there be a demand from 50,000 people to attend 19 games a season?
DDHammer

Postby brooking_1980 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 pm

I do think they have got around 50k on the waiting list, trouble is they're matching oranges with lemons.

West Ham's waiting list comprises of:

1. A big number, maybe 40k Claret Members. These people pay £ 40 per year to be able to buy occasional Tickets earlier than General Sale. The majority have no interest in a Season Ticket.
2. A large number, maybe 10k people on the Season Ticket waiting list who have paid £ 10, but the majority have no interest whatsoever in buying a Season Ticket.

So yes West Ham determines that's 50k on the Waiting List, but with no inclination to buy.
brooking_1980

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 pm

If there is a waiting list, and this may be too simplistic, why are there so many empty seats ?

Shirley those on the waiting list would be busting a gut to get at least to a game or that, games that they cannot possibly attend under normal circumstances.

Or do ALL of those people who can't go, not put up their seats for sale, rather preventing would be regular punters from the joy of going to at least ONE game ?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Coops on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:If there is a waiting list, and this may be too simplistic, why are there so many empty seats ?

Shirley those on the waiting list would be busting a gut to get at least to a game or that, games that they cannot possibly attend under normal circumstances.

Or do ALL of those people who can't go, not put up their seats for sale, rather preventing would be regular punters from the joy of going to at least ONE game ?

My nephew put his set up and he was given a pittance by the club. If they made it worth peoples while then more would be interested in using the service when they can't attend.
Coops

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't know about the true nature of the waiting list, but I jacked in my ST at the end of The Goblins' first full year in charge and I still to this day get muggy text messages announcing the availability of tickets for certain games.
prophet:marginal

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 pm

I was on the waiting list and I managed to get a ticket this season for me and my son.

There was probably a massive amount of interest in getting a season ticket pre move as talk of the next level and world class players in a world class stadium, cheap tickets etc. peaked a lot of interest. Was it 50k worth of interest, who knows all I know now is there will not be 50k people wanting one right now.

I remember the pop up store in Westfield being busy though.
Johnny_C WHU

Postby DDHammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:57 pm

22nd October 2014, half season tickets for sale, we've gained 70,000 supporters wanting a ST in 4 years, impressive.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... lling-fast

21st April 2015, Academy Members join the priority list for free, how many of those added even want a ST?

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ority-list
DDHammer

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Coops

cheers

I wonder though, is there an alternative site available that fans can sell their tickets through ? Do you have to show identity when you go through the turnstile ?

I googled to see if there was a Stubbhub equivalent in the UK and there is a Stubbhub UK. Wouldn't they pay more than the club ?

Also surely any money gotten back (rather than give it to G & S) would be something and also allow a fellow 'ammer who cannot get beyond 49K people in front of them ( :D ) be able to see a game ?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Next

Return to General Discussion