Is the waiting list a scam?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Is the waiting list a scam?

Postby Rowly on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Monday 18th - from 1.30 pm here. Never actually joined the waiting list been a club member for more years than i can remember.

EDIT - it's the second (possibly 3rd) email I've had from them regarding being near the top of the list since the end of the season but can't remember what the others said as I deleted them.
Rowly

Postby rhyzb_whufc on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Me and my brother both got emails today giving us appointment times to call at 1.30pm on Friday 15th to get our tickets.

We've both been members for seven/eight years at a rough guess and joined the waiting list as soon as it became a thing (was it at the end of the BG final season)?
rhyzb_whufc

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes it is a scam.
Ive had an email from the club saying that a ST could soon be mine.
Not been a member for years and let my STs go in 2008.
I don't bloody want one.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby Nesticles on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 pm

The title of this thread needs changing, not really a question anymore

It is a scam
Nesticles

Postby derek zoolander on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Out of interest, has anyone received communication from West Ham United about the new GDPR / data privacy laws?

As a data holder I’m fairly sure they are at the very least obliged to inform us all of our right to be forgotten / deleted should we wish to be.

Just wondered if anyone has actually heard anything from them? Or has anyone asked to be taken off and have they had any official communication confirming this? Under the new law they have 30 days to act and confirm your details have been permanently deleted. Otherwise they can be fined something like up to 4% of the companies revenue (not profit, just top line revenue).

If this list is anything to go by their data controls seem to be pretty appalling. It’s just a massive ****ing compiled list of anyone that’s ever been a club member at any point since they owned the club, along with anyone who officially signed up to the waiting list as far as I can tell. They aren’t handling the data in a way that is consistent with what people actually signed up for.
derek zoolander

Postby Briggsy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 pm

derek zoolander wrote:Out of interest, has anyone received communication from West Ham United about the new GDPR / data privacy laws?

As a data holder I’m fairly sure they are at the very least obliged to inform us all of our right to be forgotten / deleted should we wish to be.

Just wondered if anyone has actually heard anything from them? Or has anyone asked to be taken off and have they had any official communication confirming this? Under the new law they have 30 days to act and confirm your details have been permanently deleted. Otherwise they can be fined something like up to 4% of the companies revenue (not profit, just top line revenue).

If this list is anything to go by their data controls seem to be pretty appalling. It’s just a massive ****ing compiled list of anyone that’s ever been a club member at any point since they owned the club, along with anyone who officially signed up to the waiting list as far as I can tell. They aren’t handling the data in a way that is consistent with what people actually signed up for.

I've sent West Ham the WHUISA GDPR related template requesting my place on the waiting list. They replied informing me that they will reply within 30 days in compliance with GDPR. That was 6 days ago. It'll be interesting to see what they say.

Additionally, I did receive an email from the club just before the GDPR law came into place. I only briefly read the mail, however I'm pretty sure it was GDPR related. The subject was something like "We're updating our polices", or something like that.

One thing I did notice from the email was there didn't appear to be any clear, simple or easy manner to "opt out", which I think was a requirement for GDPR (although any experts on here, please correct me if any of this is wrong.)

Edit: I'm fairly certain this is what they sent me via email https://www.whufc.com/privacy-policy

An option to opt out is at the bottom.
Briggsy

Postby danski78 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:46 am

I’ve also emailed the club using the WHUISA template. They’ve sent me confirmation that they have received my mail and agreed to respond again within 30 days. Obviously the same template as the chap above received.. we shall see
danski78

Postby Stulaw on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 am

Briggsy wrote:One thing I did notice from the email was there didn't appear to be any clear, simple or easy manner to "opt out", which I think was a requirement for GDPR (although any experts on here, please correct me if any of this is wrong.)

Edit: I'm fairly certain this is what they sent me via email https://www.whufc.com/privacy-policy

An option to opt out is at the bottom.

GDPR requires the company to offer an opt in (a positive action) rather than opt out, so there's no confusion with the "Please untick if you don't agree" things.
Stulaw

Postby Harry Hound on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am

The waiting list is nothing more than a lottery and appears to me to be not a whole lot different to the one being run by Newham council giving free tickets for residents.
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Bramwell on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Similar experience to rhyzb_whufc

Had the "you're in a priority position" email in May. Saw people on the WL already getting emails with appointment windows, so rang the ticket office on Tuesday. They checked, muttered something about "now where are we, in the 15,000s now", then said "oh yes, you're fine...you should get an email in the next day or two".

Got the email on Wednesday lunchtime..."ring at 10:30am on Friday".
Rang at 10:31am today (I'm a rebel!) and was number 39 in the queues. Got through in just over 15 minutes, all ticketed up 5 minutes later.

To summarise: got what I wanted, staff were very helpful and courteous. Job's a good un.
Bramwell

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Bramwell wrote:...............................................

in the 15,000s now

8-)
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Bramwell on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 pm

JBB: I marvelled at that TOO. Unless the lady was a very good actress, I don't think I was meant to hear it...it was more an aside, without putting me on mute.

I couldn't work out the maths - if, roughly speaking, we've had two renewal windows with about 10,000 STs relinquished in that time...??
Bramwell

Postby Derby Hammer on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I don’t really get the idea that the waiting list is a scam. It’s just not worth the hassle. 50,000 on the list @ £10 is only £500k. Even with it being £2 more doesn’t really add an awful lot more to the pot. Interest rates on savings has been awful for a good few years, so the club would have earnt peanuts off it. If you end up buying a season ticket the £10 gets taken off the value of the season ticket anyway.

What people are paying for is to enter a marketing list*. Usually you enter one of these for free, however, charging £10 makes the waiting list seem valuable. It also dissuades 100,000s of tyre kickers joining a list just in case. I paid a tenner and sat it out for a couple of years before taking up my option on Monday for reasons states on the previous page. I had an intention of taking up a ST at some point so was happy to risk my £10 even if i never ended up taking it up.

*It’s a bit like paying £5 to get a Go Outdoors discount card!

Clearly there might be a problem with who is and isn’t on the list and the order that people are being served. I joined the list close to day 1 (maybe a day or so after) and my window was 1.30pm on Monday. I called up at about 2.15pm and got straight through.
Derby Hammer

Postby arlhe on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm

My neighbour just got a ST after two years on the waiting list. I hadn't realised that the price freeze only applied to existing STHs.

Having paid £640, he's told me he'll be away for a number of games and expected to get a fare chunk of his money back by reselling to the club. He now knows he won't!
arlhe

Postby szola on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 am

Received a mail from the club. I'm told I can soon purchase a season ticket.

I've never, consciously, added my name to a waiting list for a ST. I was a Claret Member or whatever it is called, for a brief spell, a few years. I've not renewed that in a while.

I can't remember giving the club a permission to retain information about me. Could the WHUISA raise this issue with the club perhaps?
szola

Postby Kludgehammer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 am

Got an email today "We are delighted to confirm that as you are towards the top of the Season Ticket Waiting List, you will soon have the opportunity to purchase a 2018/19 Season Ticket for Manuel Pellegrini's first season in charge of the Hammers"

I've never, ever been on the waiting list, other than being a claret member at the Boleyn.
Kludgehammer

Postby mike1961 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:13 am

A 92% renewal rate with 52,000 STs means that there were just 4160 tickets available to be sold. If they are currently "in the 15,000s" then less than 30% of people on their list are actually buying.
mike1961

Postby Hammer.CA on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:29 am

mike1961 wrote:A 92% renewal rate with 52,000 STs means that there were just 4160 tickets available to be sold. If they are currently "in the 15,000s" then less than 30% of people on their list are actually buying.

You are Rachel Riley and I claim my £5.
Hammer.CA

Postby SoCal Hammer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:57 am

I've just got an email saying I can phone up from 9.30am on Tuesday for a season ticket.

Has anyone phoned before their allocated time slot and had any success buying a ticket?

I might try today and try my luck :P
SoCal Hammer

Postby Snowman on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm

I got a phone call yesterday saying that, after missing my slot (quite deliberately) on Tuesday that my three STs have been reserved for me and I can purchase them online now. If there are only about 4000 avaiable for those on the waiting list then clearly there isn't a very good take up rate so far.
Snowman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion