West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (16/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by S-H »

duncanio wrote:iirc, Butland also fumbled similarly to Hart but we were too slow and uninterested to make the follow up.
He also took one in the face, which I suspect Hart would have ducked from.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

We played well, dominated the game and had three goals disallowed. I'm not going to knock the players or the manager.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

First half was a non event. Much better second half and should have buried them with the chances we had. I couldn't believe Hart was given another game after the howler v Burnley surely no way back after this one.

Fernandes continues to disappoint. Why we didn't start with Chico in his place I cannot fathom.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Clacton-ammer wrote:
How Cameron was not booked for consistent fouling I do not know!
This is the first of several posers, on reflection from last night's game. I've looked at the report. The bloke was on the pitch for just over 30 minutes. It was obvious after ten of them that he was sent on to break up play however he could. The lack of any card for him was a joke; I counted at least 4 fouls - two of which were hacks.

Anyway, whatever; as well as Zabaleta played further up the pitch, his inability to follow the line maintained by the others, leaving Crouch onside, is the central reason why we conceded. In certain respects, a defence is like a chain and, you know the rest, Zab is its weakest link I am afraid - weaker even than Cresswell.

Next, the reality is that, in Cresswell and Masuaku, we have two players broadly doing the same thing. They are both adept crossers, who can work a useful overlap, but the gaps left behind them both, down our left, defensively will always be exploited, even by rookie coaches.

This is why, in reality, whilst we could have won last evening, we didn't really deserve to. By halftime, Stoke, replete with old and journeymen alike had had more shots on target than us.

We left Arnautovic exposed alone 20-25 yards from any support far too often and, from early on, he was all arms forward, gesturing that the passes needed to be to feet, or don't bother. I don't think that was his best game, but what really can we expect?

With these structural defects in our team, it doesn't really matter how well an individual (Noble, Rice, Ogbonna) might perform - we will always gift chances to teams down our flanks and playing to the point of an isolated lone striker relies on opposition slips, as much as it does the skill of the front man.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I was disappointed but not really surprised to see the line. No Hernandez, setting up for a point at home to Stoke, yep that is the reality of next level football with David Moyes as manager.

Arnautović ran his socks off but he was far too isolated. The game was there for the taking but we sat back. When the inevitable happened we ended up with Arnie, Lanzini, Carroll and Hernandez on the pitch, but imagine if those subs had been made on 50 minutes instead of 80. We would have stuffed them.

That ****ing dandruff **** should never put on a West Ham shirt again let alone an England one. But he will start against Arsenal next week. In fact I expect to see he same starting line up next week, the only change Moyes will make is possibly Lanzini.

MOTM for me was Rice, he goes about his work with quiet efficiency, the lad has real class and I really hope we can hang on to him.

Stoke were dirty ****ers. Niggley fouls all over the place but the ref didn't seem to want to punish them. Even when four of their players jumped into the crowd after the goal only one was shown a yellow.
They are a horrible club and I hope they go down.
claretchris
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by claretchris »

A total lack of urgency until their goal went in. It's unforgivable to me how we never seem to be able to take the bull by the horns and win these games that will get us into a safe position.

Can't help but think Moyes is too conservative when a cutthroat approach is needed.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

I was entertained by the game, Stoke were well disciplined in defence and the the art of the break up foul and our team was not good enough to consistently deal with that. Oliver was his usual random self, not strong enough, missing blatant fouls then blowing for fair challenges as fouls. As a couple of people said last night, there was no way he was going to award a penalty after the Champions League arguments. But how the hell it wasn't a penalty when AC was rugby tackled right in front of the ref I have no idea.

Saying that, the game was crying out for Moyes to change it and take the initiative early in the second half but he only changed when we needed to chase an equaliser. How much of his caution is down to the limited squad and how much is his character I'm not sure. Another game that showed how much investment the squad needs, Arnie was trying to create things and worrying Stoke by running at them (with and without the ball) but there wasn't enough support.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Moyes has got one of the weakest defences and midfields in the league in my opinion.

We were dead certs for relegation when we failed to get carvalho.

If we survive he has proved himself as a top manager I think. Too good for the dildo's I suspect.
This is very true :thup:
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

A relegation quality game from 2 relegation quality teams.

There will be more of the same next year.

That so many are happy to sign up for more of the same miserable rubbish in the same soul destroying stadium is completely beyond me.
S-H

Post by S-H »

claretchris wrote: a cutthroat approach is needed.
Especially in the boardroom..
faubert93
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by faubert93 »

Although Joe Hart cost us that goal, there was also another individual that could have helped avoid.

Note the position of Zabaleta, in relation to the rest of the back 4/5.

He's playing 2 stoke players on and doesn't even follow the run of crouch.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/football ... easy-goal/
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Don't think you can really blame Moyes and I don't think it was negative at all. It was a scrappy game at times and when we stepped up it looked like we was going to score, why would you make changes then? They did score due to Hart (who I have defended but now lost patience with) and Moyes did make changes.

We started with one up top because that was the same team that battered Southampton in the first half and grinded a result against Chelsea. I would love Chica to start with Arnie but I could understand why there were no changes.

The thought of losing the game was awful and when big Carroll hit the net I have never shouted to loudly! Massive point, should have been 3. Stoke reps and the press saying about Stoke not getting the rub of the green, well they did last night and they should try supporting us lot!

Rice was brilliant again, really reads the game well and I think has a good partnership with Oggy. :scarfer:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

We attacked well and can consider ourselves unlucky to have had 3 goals disallowed.

Stoke were dirty and just looked to break up play with niggly fouls - why did the ref not card them more?

As much as people love Zabaletta he is the weak link at the back and has been at fault for numerous goals conceded. It's interesting the venom people spout at Hart but not at Zabaletta.
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

Personally I was bored with the game but I think us supporters go to be entertained whilst the Manager and board have a survive in the Premier at all costs attitude. If we get relegated it wont cost us anything whilst they will see their investment and jobs go south.
Its not a problem just for us its a problem for everyone in the league outside the top six. Whilst the sky money is so big get used to a lot more bore fests next season and thereafter.
Only chance we have of something different is a huge upgrade in Manager with a significant transfer budget and we know that will never happen with this board.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Not the result we wanted but at the end of the day it was always a must not lose game, thankfully despite the scare we didn't lose.

Hart is finished at WHU now (and probably England), get Adrian back in and decide if we want him next year and either renew his contract or let him go and bring in another keeper in the summer.

Thought all of the back 3 looked very good and assured, Cresswell in particular was much improved yesterday.

The midfield 4 let us down yesterday, Kouyate was non-existent again (I have no idea what he does most of the time), Masuaku was creatively poor and Zabaleta got caught out defensively again with his ageing legs.

The front 3 were ok for the most part but clearly Lanzini and Hernandez were needed to win this game.
S-H

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote:
As much as people love Zabaletta he is the weak link at the back and has been at fault for numerous goals conceded. It's interesting the venom people spout at Hart but not at Zabaletta.
I think Zaba is afforded more leniency, due to the fact that despite his age, he always puts a shift in.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Smonnie wrote:We played well, dominated the game and had three goals disallowed. I'm not going to knock the players or the manager.
Agreed. It was a nervy game for both teams.

35 points is better than 34.

Stoke were a physical side that were hard to break down.

Edit. Stoke were a bunch of dirty, cheating thugs who should have been shown 2 red cards. Martins Indi and Cameron. The referee was a weak little weasel.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

There is no way at all that Hart will be dropped for Arsenal. None at all

Adrian will come back in vs Man City, but that will be his only game
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It feels like Joe hart is being played purely because he needs to get his name thrown in for the world cup, when in reality his form has been awful and much worse than Adrian who has been very harshly treated. I have been a fan of Joe Hart previously and still feel if he rediscovers his form one day he will be a good goalkeeper for many teams...but the fact is he has been dreadful and at a time when we are struggling you need to trust someone between the sticks. These have not just been mistakes, how many times has he spilt bog standard shots this season? Mentally, he is nowhere near the level he should be and should be dropped as its costing us.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Dwight1970 wrote:
I don't understand why you would not repeat the tactics and line up we had against Southampton that worked so well especially against a side with a woeful defence and needed 3 points
We did... it was the exact same team, line up and formation that we put out against Southampton (from 7mins on of course after the Antonio sub).

You can't fault Moyes for sticking with the same team, what is totally unacceptable is his lack of vision within a game. Last night (same as Burnley) the game was crying out for Carroll and/or Hernandez to come on. Had he put them both on after 60min and just gone for it, I have little doubt in my mind that we would have gone on to win by a couple of goals.

I like Moyes, and maybe it is due to the precarious position we are in, but his in game management has been very poor, especially at home.

The only difference with the Southampton game was that we stuck two of our chances away in the first half and didn't need to get out of 2nd gear in the second half. Stoke were better equipped to shut us out last night and we didn't take our chances. The exact same as the Burnley game.