David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by the bubble hammer »

e-20 wrote:Who was the last Manager to give us the football that we as a fanbase desire?
Apart from Slav's first season who had the bonus of having Payet and the euphoria of the final season at the ole girl to gee the team up, the last time I really enjoyed the football played was under Pards
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The last manager to get us consistently playing enjoyable football was Redknapp. Twenty years ago.

The last manager to get us consistently playing fairly successful football was Lyall. Thirty odd years ago.

The stadium has revealed the underlying mediocrity that people frequently tolerated at the Boleyn.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

So let me get this right. Less than 500 people have voted which, generously, is less than 1% of match day attendees. I would suspect that only 60% are, of those that voted, match day attendees. Taking all of that into account only 40% would not want Moyes to continue. Hardly a 'Get Moyes Out' movement.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Remind me again why we moved from the old girl ?
Up the Junction wrote:At least 'back then' we still had our hopes, desires and ambitions. Our fans don't even dream big any more!
This is/will be GSB's real legacy. The crushing of our hopes, desires and ambitions.
Half the fanbase on here have been cheering on the possibility of relegation. That's what they have done to us.

Perhaps another poll could be:
Do you think the West Ham United owners are going to buy enough quality players, during this coming summer transfer window?
Got a feeling the NO's would be in the 90%'s..
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Beavis Danzig wrote:
did wonder which way you'd vote.
I didn’t.

Evening Karren!
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Reading this thread and the rationale given if we as a matchday going fanbase are happy to keep Moyes then GSB have well and truly won. No rambles will change that.

Also 15/16 before they undermined Bilic to put us all back in our box seems to have well and truly been erased from memory amongst Noble and STBs messages of everyone to behave and stay in our box so WHUFC stay on the gravy train. The gravy train that really only benefits GSB unless you want a good stream or watch Man Citys superstars.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hadleighhammer wrote:
Also 15/16 before they undermined Bilic to put us all back in our box seems to have well and truly been erased from memory

It's got to the point where it didn't actually happen and that I completely dreamed it all up. I'm shocked at how quickly that season has been brushed under the carpet and skirted over. Could have sworn it was 1 of the very best in recent memory. :eh:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Samba wrote: This is/will be GSB's real legacy. The crushing of our hopes, desires and ambitions.
Half the fanbase on here have been cheering on the possibility of relegation. That's what they have done to us.
Agreed, it seems a big reason most have for saying yes to Moyes is because no one else would work for GSB. But there are 100's of useless managers like Moyes out there so why not take the risk, we are flirting with relegation anyway, what is the big deal? Moyes staying, and more importantly fans happy with Moyes is unthinkable to me, he is a worse BFS. Abysmal if he stays.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Agreed, it seems a big reason most have for saying yes to Moyes is because no one else would work for GSB.

It's just about the worst reasoning for sticking with him and if that really was the case, you'd think why would fans be in such a hurry to f*** off Bilic under the same consideration when in actual he was just about the perfect mediator between those incompetent c**** in charge and us fans. :?
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Done well given the **** hand he’s been dealt. Yes from me.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

A better poll would be should the owners stay or go.

I personally can’t be bothered to vote on this as any manager working with for our trio of clowns will always have an underinvested squad and will always struggle to a degree.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

It's inevitable really,but this thread is steadily descending into a question of why you follow WHU.i.e.What's your list of priorities? League position? Matchday experience? etc. It appears that for many,it's the former.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:David Moyes is our level ...
Up the Junction wrote:Breaks my heart to read our fans say things like this.
It breaks mine too, but its true.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote:It's inevitable really,but this thread is steadily descending into a question of why you follow WHU.i.e.What's your list of priorities? League position? Matchday experience? etc. It appears that for many,it's the former.
Quite a few of the latter are giving the impression that they'd be happy so long as they had Slaven here. In other words, the owners are fine and dandy.

Others see the owners as the problem. Let's see a poll on them.

If Moyes came into the job with 95% against his appointment and he's got that down to 40% in five months, he must be fairly competent.

We know with all managers that a percentage on here will start off negative about them and grumble incessantly to the bitter end.

With the exception of one Payet year, this club consistently under performs under these owners. The Icelandic had more top 10 finishes as did Terry Brown.

League position tends to link to the standard of football being dished up.

The owners are the issue.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Can't disagree with that...Who could?
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

I voted stay.
We need continuity, something in short supply in recent years. Besides, who are we realistically going to attract who is any better? Would you want to work for our current owners?
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I don’t think many would disagree with you bubbs. I do find that strange that people use the owners incompetence as a reason to keep Moyes. The quality of football has been poor in the main with him - and whilst he doesn’t have the best of hands to deal with, games like Stoke are inexcusable.

It’s not like we’re flying clear too, we could very conceivably be only 3 points ahead of Southampton (with a potentially inferior GD), 1 point ahead of Stoke (with a better GD) and 2 points ahead of Swansea (with a similar GD) after the next 2 games. Therefore if we do stay up, as we would hope (and expect), it’s likely to be mainly down to there being 3 worse teams (like Zola’s last season).

Yes the board are the main issue, but that doesn’t mean we should have to put up with Moyes - who the majority didn’t want in the first place - for any longer than this season.

People cry for stability, 3 managers in 7 seasons is actually very stable in modern football, get it right and it will be 4 in 8/9/10 years.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

I'm certainly in the borderline camp but if pushed would say keep!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:If Moyes came into the job with 95% against his appointment and he's got that down to 40% in five months, he must be fairly competent.

We know with all managers that a percentage on here will start off negative about them and grumble incessantly to the bitter end.

With the exception of one Payet year, this club consistently under performs under these owners. The Icelandic had more top 10 finishes as did Terry Brown.

League position tends to link to the standard of football being dished up.

The owners are the issue.
100% agree. getting rid of Moyes and appointing a manager who 'might' play more attractive football with what is available is putting a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

We are doomed to mediocrity with these owners. The best we can hope for short term is they take a complete step backwards on football matters, but I don't think their egos will allow it.

They believe their own hype.

I have preferred every manager we have had under them to the board themselves, that is how bad they are.

Every bad decision ultimately comes back to them.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Interesting that stability is being cited as a reason to keep Moyes. We had four years of stability with Allardyce but many didn’t want him to stay on after year 1 (or, let’s be honest, come here at all).

Bilic had an incredible first year for us, I’ve never felt so positive in almost 20 years of supporting, but his second year was pretty poor, the league position does lie for all of us that care to remember that season, but many KUMBers were willing to give him a third season to try and recapture the magic.

Given Moyes results, and entertainment level of style of play, I’m struggling to understand the argument for keeping him if it’s about results, or keeping him if it’s about entertainment, and the argument for keeping him for stability didn’t wash with Allardyce.

What will be different next year if we keep Moyes? He’ll play the same football he’s played this year, yes the squad might be more ‘his team’ with a summer transfer window under his belt but how much can you change in this market with £30m?

Then again how much would a new manager be able to change with £30m?

I’d like to twist, get a younger manager, give them some money and three years to make it a reality, the worst we can be is league 1 at the end of it with the same owners.

If we’re lucky the worst we could be at the end of it is league 1 with different owners.

I’ll be a Hammer whichever league we’re in, yes I’d like to see us win the league but it’s just never going to happen without throwing money at it, Leicester is the exception that proves the rule.

Poch has done an incredible job at Spurs (pains me to say), Howes done well at Bournemouth and has Wagner at Huddersfield.

Let’s go again...