David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by jastons »

Moyes out.

Is he the best manager we could get? No.

So why offer him another contract?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Steven Pienaar cost 2M.

And how did he luck out getting 22M for Lescott - he bought him for a fraction of the price and developed him into one of the best defenders in the league, much like he did with Jagielka. Also, you do not mention Stones, who he bought for a few million and Everton ended up selling him for 50M or something
Last edited by Ironing Board on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

From the Guardian:

“They are one of just six clubs, along with Swansea, Wigan, Newcastle, Reading and Arsenal, to record a profit in that time, in Everton's case £12.3m, and if you tot up the figures going all the way back to Moyes's appointment in March 2002 his importance becomes even more stark. Everton's average net spend per season in the Moyes years comes in at a mere £803,000. Compare that with Aston Villa's average of £10.8m over the past decade, Stoke's £7.8m and Sunderland £7.6m and their corresponding league positions: Everton pushing for a Champions League place until recently; Villa, Stoke and Sunderland fighting relegation.”

There is a reason he was LMA Manager of the Year three times, and part of it was his acumen in the transfer market
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by brothernero »

give it a flipping rest ffs!! :asleep:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Net Spend ?????

Shirley if you get something like 50M for 2 players you have a lot of wonga to play with......

And you think Lescott was a 22M pound player ?

Citeh chucked money away......he got lucky that someone would waste that kind of money...

Citey paid 32M for Robinho
19M for Jo..

Let's say he got lucky that someone was mug enough to pay up that kind of money for a pretty much "average" player...

You're correct, I read Wiki wrong about Pienaar.

Wasn't wrong about Billyadinhov

And I think that Henry was in charge of transfers wasn't he ???????

Last time he was LMA manager of the year ???? (2002-2003, 2004-2005) 2008-2009....almost TEN years ago....

At least Van Gaal GOT to the CL. Moyes team finished 7th.

when Moyes was sacked after a poor season in which the club failed to defend their Premier League title and failed to qualify for the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 1995–96.[64] They also failed to qualify for the Europa League, meaning that it was the first time Manchester United hadn't qualified for a European competition since 1990.

but keep looking for reasons to back your argument......

I just would like to think we could get someone better.......I doubt we will, but why would I want to settle for someone who just plonked 10M on Jordan Hugill.... ??????
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm still in the unsure camp and, if the vote got re-run, that's where the p:m 'x' would still fall.

I sadly have to also note that, if it was re-run, and 'indifferent' was an option, I cannot rule out that I'd choose that instead.
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

I voted to keep him but that was before the Arsenal game and also on the basis that on a one year contract he'd be a safe pair of hands.

Do I think the owners could appoint someone even worse? Probably, knowing their stupidity.

He's coming across like a more dour Alan Curbishley but without the West Ham playing link. He's also equally as bad in the transfer market.

However Curbs turned around a relegation threatened season at the last minute and I still think that with 4 games left to play, he could still secure us a survival spot.

Whether that is enough to keep him on is perhaps a different story though.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

His net spend at everton averaged 800k a year?
Well there it is then, why he is here and why he will stay
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

Ironing Board wrote:From the Guardian:

“They are one of just six clubs, along with Swansea, Wigan, Newcastle, Reading and Arsenal, to record a profit in that time, in Everton's case £12.3m, and if you tot up the figures going all the way back to Moyes's appointment in March 2002 his importance becomes even more stark. Everton's average net spend per season in the Moyes years comes in at a mere £803,000. Compare that with Aston Villa's average of £10.8m over the past decade, Stoke's £7.8m and Sunderland £7.6m and their corresponding league positions: Everton pushing for a Champions League place until recently; Villa, Stoke and Sunderland fighting relegation.”

There is a reason he was LMA Manager of the Year three times, and part of it was his acumen in the transfer market
So why did he get sacked from his next three jobs then? We don’t want a has been we want a wannabe!

Particularly a has been who makes Allardyce look like a gunslinger!
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

There was me thinking it was a good thing a manager could spot a player that goes on to sell for many times the purchase price. And if you read up that article on the Everton scouting system you would know Moyes would watch a player several times personally before signing them - hence the “dithering Dave” nickname. Players would be watched several time by scouts, reported on, then Moyes himself would look at the cream of the crop. Like any other system, it was not perfect, but it gave Moyes a much higher hit ratio than other managers.

And securing good players is more important than tactics. Being able to find gems will have a much bigger bearing on a team’s success. Of course they are still important, but you can be as great a tactician as you want, but if you are working with rubbish then the difference will be marginal at best.

Also, he did not get sacked at Sunderland. He quit as they would not fund player purchases. He was willing to stay and try and get promotion, but Ellis Short has completely cut funding, hence their relegation to League One
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

Ironing Board wrote:There was me thinking it was a good thing a manager could spot a player that goes on to sell for many times the purchase price. And if you read up that article on the Everton scouting system you would know Moyes would watch a player several times personally before signing them - hence the “dithering Dave” nickname. Players would be watched several time by scouts, reported on, then Moyes himself would look at the cream of the crop. Like any other system, it was not perfect, but it gave Moyes a much higher hit ratio than other managers.

And securing good players is more important than tactics. Being able to find gems will have a much bigger bearing on a team’s success. Of course they are still important, but you can be as great a tactician as you want, but if you are working with rubbish then the difference will be marginal at best.

Also, he did not get sacked at Sunderland. He quit as they would not fund player purchases. He was willing to stay and try and get promotion, but Ellis Short has completely cut funding, hence their relegation to League One
and Man U where he had a championship winning team at his disposal? how did Sociadad go?

If your mate Moysey is so good why is no other Premier league team interested in signing him?

Only reason we are interested is
A he is desperate
B our board has no ambition
C there is no competition to sign him
D the suppoters dont want him so the board will do the exact opposite

Belive you me we have been spun more than a Hotpoint tumple dryer so whatever you want to try we aint having it!

Goodnight Dave.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Loads of managers buy players and sell them at a loss or profit...The balance is finding more at the buy at a decent and keep. Or buy and sell them for a profit and re-invest that money. It makes you a better club.

Like I said, Moyes made 50 M from both Rooney and Lescott so it made it much easier to have a low net spend. Who on earth in our squad could he sell for that large wedge and be able to re-invest ? Lanzini and/or Arnautovich. Which would make us so much weaker. We need to ADD players, not subtract from the current squad.

In January, he either agreed to or it was his idea, to get shot of Ayew and Fonte. And add Hugill and Evra. If he didn't sanction either and let Sullivan operate over his head, then why would you want him here ? If it was his idea, why do you want him here ?

He said that it would be our fault (the fans) if we couldn't attract world class payers here. If I also recollect he did say that if we didn't get behind the team against Burnley and we lost it would be our fault. Up until we went behind (and I think in the main down to him not reacting to the Burnley sub, to which there was already a track record of Dyche doing) I think the crowd was pretty much behind the team.

After the march being called off there was an under current going on. I know he hasn't been here long, but if was and is unaware of what is going on and has been going on for the past couple of years between the club and the owners, then I still don't want him here.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Rooney and Lescott were sold years apart. The year they made the Champions League they were supposed to be relegation candidates. You are just too biased to acknowledge his achievements. That is why he got the Man Utd job in the first place
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Why should I be biased because I would like someone a little more ambitious ?

Isn't that what DSB moved the club from the Boleyn for ??????

It is fairly easy to have a low net spend when you can stick 50M in the bank from only 2 player sales. That bank rolled a lot of players back then.

I am pointed out, his last LMA manager of the year was 10 years ago.

Since he has been here, we've given up:

4 to Everton
3 to Newcastle
3 to Bournemouth
2 to Wigan
3 to Brighton
4 to Liverpool
4 to Swansea
3 to Burnley
4 to Arsenal

we've beaten Chelsea, Stoke, West Brom, Huddersfield, Shrewsbury, Watford, Southampton.

It doesn't make good reading......
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Ironing Board wrote:Rooney and Lescott were sold years apart. The year they made the Champions League they were supposed to be relegation candidates. You are just too biased to acknowledge his achievements. That is why he got the Man Utd job in the first place
You’re supporting the appointment of a manager based on evidence over 5 years old and four clubs ago. His three appointments since that have been with both big and small budgets and haven’t been succeesful for a variety of reasons.

To cap that off his record to date with us is poor, I can’t understand what you’re seeing, unless you’re a desperately misplaced board stooge.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It doesn’t matter if he’s better than or doing better than Bilic was. It’s if he’s doing a good job and is a manager we should keep. Bilic is gone so I’m not that interested in him for our next manager.

Let’s hope Fulham fail and we take Jokanovic
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

I just think it would be refreshing to have a manager with vision at the club,l. Someone who will give the team an identity. Getting someone in who will just use West Ham as a stepping stone does not appeal to me.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Wilko1304 wrote:It doesn’t matter if he’s better than or doing better than Bilic was. It’s if he’s doing a good job and is a manager we should keep. Bilic is gone so I’m not that interested in him for our next manager.

Let’s hope Fulham fail and we take Jokanovic
A failed Championship manager does not sound very appealing. At least Moyes and Rafa failed at two of the biggest clubs in the world!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

With what he’s done there, you’d be a fool to think him actually failed.

Whereas Moyes has definitely failed with one poor club and is running it close with another
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 458 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Wilko1304 wrote:With what he’s done there, you’d be a fool to think him actually failed.
Agreed :thup: