David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by Doc H Ball »

No from me.

I think he's done okay and steered us through some choppy waters, but I find him uninspiring and too quick to toe a party line. I'm not surprised he's never won anything because he looks more risk averse than Kevin Spacey in panto.

I would normally be the sort of fan happy with incremental improvement, low expectations and loyal consistency. However, I now feel so removed from the Club that I want dices thrown and adventure.

Eddie Howe or some foreigner I've never heard of please.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Pros
Knows the league
Can build a team on modest budgets
Got a lot more out of Arnie
Doesn't involve the owners playing old boys roulette - seriously who would they appoint if they dump him?
Bit of stability would help with the creating a team rather than just a handful of cheap options thrown into a squad with a rotating cat herder

Cons
Negative tactics often (3 strikers on the bench against Stoke, none on the pitch) - nothing like BFS but not what we want long term
Folded like a cheap deckchair at Sunderland
Recently slagged off the fans purely to curry favour with the owners

Ultimately if the owners aren't going to put hand in pocket then it doesn't matter who the manager is, and I do not trust then with that (or any) decision. I would say, reluctantly, no footballing change should be made until a DoF is in place.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

For me, you only sack a manager if there’s better options who are available and who would come to us. Which in itself could be two different things.

As things stand, I’m not so sure there is someone better who would definitely come to us. Unsure.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

A reluctant yes from me, based purely on the fact that no one worth their salt would want to be involved with this freak show, and even if they did the c**** in charge wouldn't have the foresight to go and get them.

If we are going to play **** football under an unimaginative, dour manager it may as well be one that is desperate enough to be here and that the players are used to playing under..

How ****ing depressing!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Hammersfaniow wrote:For me, you only sack a manager if there’s better options who are available and who would come to us. Which in itself could be two different things.

As things stand, I’m not so sure there is someone better who would definitely come to us. Unsure.
We aren't sacking him, his contract is up.

I'd rather give Stuart Pearce another crack at management than keep Moyes.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

bilic was a cheap option and he gave us the best season i can remember.

rather roll the dice and risk going down than plod along watching pragmatic football in a clinical ****hole while the c**** upstairs laugh all the way to the bank.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

He should go because he's crap. And ginger.
romfordneil
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by romfordneil »

No from me whether we stay up or not. He may succeed in keeping up our injury ravaged, unbalanced squad, though that isn't certain yet but I don't want to watch his negative, safety first style of football for the next 3 years.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Yes, because of the old 'who else are we going to get?' chestnut, which always seems to be first in our minds when this question comes up.
Monkey Magic
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Monkey Magic »

Pretty much a done deal according to the back page of tomorrow’s Times

https://t.co/VPA26oBz4d
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Seems like a lot of the “yes” answers are based on a lack of faith in Sullivan bringing in a better manager...

As true as that might be, I’d take the risk as I’d rather relegation than this brand of football.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Undecided. Left on Monday and thought get rid of him as he is negative and we should have beaten Stoke comfortably then I’m thinking is he trying to prove a point, does he have an agenda ?

I genuinely can’t work him out.

Part of me thinks that he tries to get a goal in the first 10-15 mins and then we are relatively comfortable which is fine but then when it doesn’t work does he have a plan B ? Our best football on Monday was the last 15 mins - why not the same attitude from kick off ?

The other side is that he has had his hands tied. He has a poor squad, not awful but poor. He has a good(ish) first 11 but no depth.

I genuinely don’t know what to do. One things for certain, we won’t have a big transfer budget. So far I’ve been unimpressed with his transfers - were they his choices ? Doubtful but don’t bother signing anyone if you’re going to sign dross.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Mega Ron wrote:He should go because he's crap. And ginger.
I hope you're ginger, Ron.
Only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger..
(with thanks to Tim Minchin..)
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

For me its just a complete lack of ambition, i don't even think he's done that good of a job. I don't really see what we have moaned and protested about if at the end of the season we are to accept David Moyes and move on from there...

I accepted it as a stop gap but i have not seen anything to suggest he can take us forward. I get the squad isn't great etc etc.... but he has hardly been a success. Is this really what we want? I think its complete madness, we can do better. It all comes down to the board sticking their hands in their pocket but if they are serious about taking this club forward then it should be about putting those funds behind a good manager. He is just another old stop gap Brit thats clogging up all the jobs with the other Premier League Firefighters.

It will be the same old story, giving him the job, fans get bored after 6 months, next manager...
Last edited by The Gibbins on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Yes. I can’t say I was over the moon when he came in but I believe in stability and not chopping and changing every few years. He’s done an ok job so far and should be given the time to mould the squad how he sees fit along with implement the wider structural changes he’s mentioned.
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

NO
Last edited by Tackler on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

e17 wrote:Genuinely surprised by those percents so far
And probably an even higher yes if a poll were taken away from an Internet Forum.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Tackler wrote:Stay. See what he does after a summer transfer window and a pre season
Ditto, in the circumstances. (GSB).
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Yes for me.

Club needs stability, we can't be one of those clubs who changes their manager every year or so.

And he deserves a pre season and a full summer transfer window. Wish if it was this easy to get rid of the Dildo brothers rather then the manager.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Monkey Magic wrote:Pretty much a done deal according to the back page of tomorrow’s Times

https://t.co/VPA26oBz4d
christ.

"west ham united have abandon plans to appoint a director of football"

didn't last long did it.

moyes is their stooge. already put the boot into the fans once already at the owner's behest, now he's going to be their carpet as they carry on playing football manager 11/12 (too cheap to buy the new one).