Director of Football - Mario Husillos appointed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Director of Football (Welcome Mario Husillos)

Postby funky chicken on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am

Do we think he would've recommended signing Fredericks and the next potential signing Fabianski? Somehow I don't :thdn:

I have no doubt Sully will still interfere. And even when Husillos finds some players Sully will blame the lack of money as an excuse and will recommend one of his own signings anyway.

Hence why I knew we were never going to get Nick Pope that was rumoured in the Transfer Window thread. You can just see how that conversation went:

Pellegrini: ''Mr Chairman, I think we should go for Nick Pope as our new Goalkeeper. He had an outstanding season and is young. So will only grow and get better''.

Sully: ''I am happy to make this signing happen. But it means we won't have as much money to spend on the other key areas you'd like to improve the squad. Such as Lanzini's replacement. He will cost at least £15m. I am however happy to spend up to £7m for a new Keeper.''

Pellegrini: *sighs* ''Fine we'll go for Fabianski instead.''
funky chicken

Postby spod on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am

Hammer1972 wrote:Oh come on - the article literally begins 'West Ham United are delighted to announce the appointment of Mario Husillos as the Club’s Director of Football.'

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Emoji needed here.

Either way, the point is that he's got the job title of DoF, but the remit of Head of Recruitment. It's almost a technical point, though. Some DoFs only do recruitment anyway, and you can see that Pellegrini probably won't need the technical, strategic input that other coaches get from a DoF.

Also, most crucially, recruitment is the area that we've all wanted Sullivan to step back from. If Husillos and Pellegrini can wrestle control from the miniature cossack, we can finally start making progress.
spod

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am

Good luck Mario, please please please end the cycle of 80% of our signings being absolutely toilet, please end the cycle of us being difficult to deal with, please end the cycle of signing 30+ year olds on free transfers and loans, I would like to see players signed to suit the managers system who are hungry to succeed for West Ham.

Good luck once again. No pressure. :crest:
StackerJJ

Postby BillUp on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am

Sullivan knows there is no where to hide now after last seasons debacle. If he wants more pitch invasions then he'll carry on as before. I don't think even he is that stupid as to low ball and meddle with signings as he will know what will happen. I have a feeling his family have told him its time to take a back seat.

Now you can say he has already been low balling, but as far as we know that is all paper talk, and there really isn't any hard evidence to the contrary.

As you can see I really am clutching at straws here, yet I do have faith. :D

If I am proved wrong, then he deserves everything he gets. In the mean time I am will to give him the benefit of the doubt.
BillUp

Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am

Not at all. I just don't think it can be any clearer what his job is.

I'm not saying it won't cover aspects of other roles but people wanted a DOF and we now have a DOF.

I know we have all got used to reading between the lines looking for the half truths but I'm choosing to be positive with this one.
Hammer1972

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:42 am

From this article on football.london by Sam Inkersole, the role of the Director of Football is typically:

Support the first team and head coach
Maintain and manage a positive working relationship with the owner
Employ the best people within budget as department heads
Oversee the implementation of the club’s DNA and identity a suitable playing philosophy across all teams, from first team to Academy.
Implement and maintain a scouting network
Manage the movement of players in and out of the club
Oversee the academy and development teams (extending to community foundations for talent identification)
Oversee the performance departments including medical and sport science
Oversee the training ground

A lot of tasks there... I wonder how much of that he's going to be given responsibility for?
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby steps on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am

Sorry to be negative here but Malaga fans are blaming him and his poor recruitment for getting relegated from La Liga last season.

Pelly wanted him on board though so I guess we have to trust his judgment as they’ve worked together at Malaga before when they were reasonably successful. (Made the CL group stages and possibly further IIRC.)
steps

Re: Director of Football - Mario Husillos appointed

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

The statement

"He is also highly experienced at helping young players fulfil their potential and we believe we have an exciting crop of emerging players here."

suggests that he's here to do more than simply buy players.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Faubert's Boot on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:47 am

I've lost count of the amount of comments from malaga/La Liga fans on the announcement tweet saying he's ****, he ruined malaga and laughing at us.

That killed it a bit.
Faubert's Boot

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am

Faubert's Boot wrote:I've lost count of the amount of comments from malaga/La Liga fans on the announcement tweet saying he's ****, he ruined malaga and laughing at us.

That killed it a bit.

He was only there half a season wasn't he? Brought in mid-season to try and rescue them as they were doing **** before then.

This statement from his profile is a little more positive:

"There, he recruited the likes of Saviola, Santa Cruz, Ochoa, Portugal full-back Vitorino Antunes, Morocco midfielder Nordin Amrabat and Ivory Coast left-back Arthur Boka and oversaw the promotion of a succession of outstanding youngsters from the club's Academy as Malaga challenged at the top end of La Liga throughout his three-and-a-half-year stay."
Burnley Hammer

Postby Miles Standish Proud on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am

I make no apologies for being cynical but anyone who has watched Sullivan in operation over the past few years should, frankly, be nothing else but cynical.

Before we welcome in a bright new beginning we need to uderstand what the following means: “Mario will take complete, strategic control of all player recruitment and, alongside Manuel, has the full support and confidence of myself and David Gold to lead that department."

The key phrase here is 'strategic control', The word 'strategic' will have been used for good, but as yet unclear, reason. Setting a strategy is completely different to implementing one and if Sullivan is anywhere near the implementation function then nothing will have changed.

Sorry but seen too many false dawns - as we all have - to welcome this before seeing how it works in practice.
Last edited by Miles Standish Proud on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles Standish Proud

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am

steps wrote:Sorry to be negative here but Malaga fans are blaming him and his poor recruitment for getting relegated from La Liga last season. Pelly wanted him on board though...

Hmm - do we go with the biased, angry fans - or the fella who's worked alongside him for a number of years?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:The statement

"He is also highly experienced at helping young players fulfil their potential and we believe we have an exciting crop of emerging players here."

You only have to look at the bloke from Southampton and what he was doing, as soon as a player was sold / injured there was a youngster ready to step up / a signing ready to fill the boots. Okay so they have declined slightly but the role of the DoF is from top to bottom getting all the teams to play the same way and have youngsters ready to step up when needed. I hope he's good at his job haha its exciting times. :thdn: or bust for the owners they had to get someone in and ensure the club is being run as a modern day premier league club.
StackerJJ

Postby sendô on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am

Good luck to the bloke, but I have no doubt that as soon as a "Mario signing" doesn't perform Sully will be making sure all and sundry know who signed him, as he did with Bilic in the past.

He'll also be itching to interfere again at the first sign of things not going well.
sendô

Postby EvilC on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

sendô wrote:Good luck to the bloke, but I have no doubt that as soon as a "Mario signing" doesn't perform Sully will be making sure all and sundry know who signed him, as he did with Bilic in the past.

He'll also be itching to interfere again at the first sign of things not going well.

Quite. He'll be hung out to dry at the first sign of trouble.
EvilC

Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Postby spod on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:The statement

I did miss that line on first reading, and it is actually quite reassuring.
spod

Postby Faithless on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Cautiously optimistic news...
Faithless

Location: On a bubble approaching the sky.....Born 7 days too late...38 years n counting

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 pm

So as it stands, Sullivan is still the one negotiating the fees once Husillos has identified the players?

Surely all that changes, is the quality of player we approach? Sullivan will still offer less and try to get a bargain.

By appointing a Director of football however, Sullivan now can distance himself from any blame, should things go pear shaped, when in fact it will still be his meddling and inability to spend the right money on the right players that will be the issue, like it always has been?
somerset-hammer

Postby steps on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Hmm - do we go with the biased, angry fans - or the fella who's worked alongside him for a number of years?

That age old conundrum. Probably a bit of both to be honest, fans opinions shouldn’t be ignored however biased they may be (pretty sure there was Blues fans on here that were scoffed at when they warned us about G&S.)

But on he other hand, I doubt if this fella is personally going to see us relegated.

I’ll go with Pellegrini. :thup:
steps

Postby Nesticles on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 pm

A Director of Football is irrelevant with the three morons running the club, especially Sullivan

Husillos is probably reporting to Sullivan Jr as his line manager
Nesticles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion