Director of Football - Mario Husillos appointed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Director of Football - Mario Husillos appointed

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Still a step forward if Sullivan is no longer using his scattergun approach to transfer windows

I imagine that Husillos will know exactly what budget he has to work with. The important thing is how smart he can be with that budget. The problem we've had over the last few years is not what we've spent (or not spent), but the unsuitability of various signings that seem to be made with little thought. We would have had a much better team by now if we'd have spent the transfer budget much more wisely. If they're skint then fair enough... but what you do in that position is buy younger upcoming players that can always be sold for much more than they were bought for. What you don't do is spend the little budget you have on big loan fees, or on big wages for big names that are on the decline. You get little return on that.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I do hope you're right, Burnley.
somerset-hammer

Postby Faithless on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:So as it stands, Sullivan is still the one negotiating the fees once Husillos has identified the players?

Surely all that changes, is the quality of player we approach? Sullivan will still offer less and try to get a bargain.

This is also my concern. I'm not even sure it changes the quality, Carvalho and Dendoncker were good quality targets, twas the negotiations that stopped those arriving. I'm hoping that this guy has tabs on some younger players that are yet start becoming a name so we can pick them up cheap as Sully still thinks a Hugill (£10m*) is a lot of money.

* I Know, I doubt it was that much...
Faithless

Location: On a bubble approaching the sky.....Born 7 days too late...38 years n counting

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:Still a step forward if Sullivan is no longer using his scattergun approach to transfer windows

I imagine that Husillos will know exactly what budget he has to work with. The important thing is how smart he can be with that budget. The problem we've had over the last few years is not what we've spent (or not spent), but the unsuitability of various signings that seem to be made with little thought. We would have had a much better team by now if we'd have spent the transfer budget much more wisely. If they're skint then fair enough... but what you do in that position is buy younger upcoming players that can always be sold for much more than they were bought for. What you don't do is spend the little budget you have on big loan fees, or on big wages for big names that are on the decline. You get little return on that.

This is spot on. :thup:
StackerJJ

Postby Gsbgsb on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Agree 100% Burnley - yes how much you spend matters but like the league itself that falls into different groups. We do not have the budget the top six have for example. My disappointment is that teams in and around our group have used their budgets far more wisely than us. If the new appointment means we buy the right players to fit the system the manager wants to play and in turn develop the club it is a positive move for me.
Gsbgsb

Postby davids cross on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Sullivan can't win here really. He appoints a DOF and no-one believes it makes a jot of difference anyway......Image

I think it probably does myself. It's a significant step by him.......even the gesture to it, is a change by him.

Early days and we'll all be watching. But a move in the right direction. Pellers gets his trusted pal. Now it's up to David Sullivan to ensure the men are given the best chance to succeed by...

A). Keeping out of player recruitment altogether.
&
B). Giving them a budget that gives them a fair crack at it.

I think we'll spot any tensions quite quickly, but for the moment, happy to see how it goes. The structure is sensible at the very least.
davids cross

Postby hxhammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Nesticles wrote:A Director of Football is irrelevant with the three morons running the club, especially Sullivan

Husillos is probably reporting to Sullivan Jr as his line manager

Or Barry Silkman
hxhammer

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 pm

davids cross wrote:Sullivan can't win here really.

Crossy - Sullivan always wins..

:)
somerset-hammer

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:41 pm

davids cross wrote:Sullivan can't win here really. He appoints a DOF and no-one believes it makes a jot of difference anyway......Image

It's a bed of his own making.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby artlin on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:44 pm

So all those previous comments, on here as well as blogs and newspapers, about Pellegrini not getting he's man, that Husillos would ONLY be head scout, were a load of bollox then.

Really? What a surprise.
artlin

Postby the celestial insect on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm

davids cross wrote:Sullivan can't win here really. He appoints a DOF and no-one believes it makes a jot of difference anyway......Image

I think it probably does myself. It's a significant step by him.......even the gesture to it, is a change by him.

Early days and we'll all be watching. But a move in the right direction. Pellers gets his trusted pal. Now it's up to David Sullivan to ensure the men are given the best chance to succeed by...

A). Keeping out of player recruitment altogether.
&
B). Giving them a budget that gives them a fair crack at it.

I think we'll spot any tensions quite quickly, but for the moment, happy to see how it goes. The structure is sensible at the very least.

Yes, agree with this.

I'm under no illusions, but I think just the fact of having a DoF is going to change the dynamic. We've got a DoF who works closely with a well respected manager, and that makes a more formidable obstacle for the kind of boardroom 'meddling' we've seen in the past. It's going to be difficult to undermine them both and retain any credibility at all.
the celestial insect

Postby davids cross on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Up the Junction wrote:It's a bed of his own making.

Indeed it is.....

And you just know it will have black satin sheets with gold trim and customised diamond headboard. And also contain high-density 4K pocket springs

...:)
davids cross

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Not doubt he will be working tirelessly over the next few weeks to help recruit some players!
claretandblue82

Postby arlhe on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Welcome mate.

Delighted you're in place.
arlhe

Postby Albie Beck on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm

davids cross wrote:
Sullivan can't win here really. He appoints a DOF and no-one believes it makes a jot of difference anyway......

DC - the detail is not the name but the job description... IF it includes the remit of a true DoF then all well and good, but so far it's (being generous as I always am :) ) "unclear"...
Albie Beck

Postby davids cross on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Albie Beck wrote:DC - the detail is not the name but the job description... IF it includes the remit of a true DoF then all well and good, but so far it's (being generous as I always am :) ) "unclear"...

You old sceptic Alb.... :D

(I agree naturally Unc)
davids cross

Postby Faithless on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

claretandblue82 wrote:Not doubt he will be working tirelessly over the next few weeks to help recruit some players!

As soon as tirelessly is quoted be afraid, be very afraid...
Faithless

Location: On a bubble approaching the sky.....Born 7 days too late...38 years n counting

Postby Albie Beck on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

davids cross wrote:old sceptic Alb

How did you know my real names... :D
Albie Beck

Postby ashbanki on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Despite what Sullivan decides to call him - the fact is that he is a HOR.It's great that Sullivan has done this, but let's not kid ourselves, Husillos is a replacement for Henry. A proper DOF should be in charge of all aspects pertaining to a football club - recruitment(including managers)youth development,strategic planning, training,fitness ,et al. At the moment, he is just another "human shield" who will be gone the second Pellegrini goes.
****ing up transfer deals and signing pointless "marquee signings" is just a little bit of what Sullivan does,imo.
ashbanki

Postby Georgee Paris on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Sullivan and Gold involved with HORS...seems fitting.
Georgee Paris

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion