Your New Manager and Why?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Your New Manager and Why?

Postby bowltorious on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 am

With the season nearly at an end who would your new manager be and why? We'll assume Moyes isn't retained.

Realistic: Benitez - I think he has the experience and reputation to make his mark. Good tactically and more attacking than Moyes.

Wildcard: Rodgers or Wenger - Both play excellent football and have experience with big teams. Would they be up for a fresh challenge? As much as I don't really like him as a man I'd be interested to see how Wenger would do here.
bowltorious

Re: Your New Manager and Why?

Postby Cellar-door on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:34 am

I don't think any of those managers consider it. They'll have better offers.

I'd like to see us go get a young manager and stop thinking that "experience in the league" is somehow better than being a good tactician and smart manager. It's how we've gotten a revolving door of washed up managers because they "knew the league". I'd particularly like to see us take a chance on someone who is hungry for success and ready to make a jump.

Realistically, I'd like Marcelo Gallardo from River Plate. He's tactically flexible, but has a clear philosophy of pressing, attacking football.
Cellar-door

Postby Ironing Board on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 am

There is nothing realistic about Benitez - he is at a club that is large, where he is adored by the fans and where he has the support of his chairman. Why would he move?
Ironing Board

Postby Stevo44 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 am

Is there anybody with a "West Ham" knowledge up to speed? Even a young guy.

Apart from Pardew and Sam.
Stevo44

Postby Colours never run on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 am

Stevo44 wrote:Is there anybody with a "West Ham" knowledge up to speed? Even a young guy.

Apart from Pardew and Sam.

Bilic is still out of a job...

I've made no secret of my admiration for Howe in the past and I truly believe he's taken Bournemouth just about as far as they can go after about 10 years or so with nothing left to prove and should a new realistic challenge arise like a far bigger fanbase and resources to tap in too then I think both we and he should take it if we offered him the chance.

He's not only proved it in every division gaining promotion but he's also proved himself in the Premier League and has tried to play winning, attractive football whenever possible. He comes across as a modern forward thinking coach. He has a decent track record working within a budget, bringing on young players and has a good eye for talented footballers. I think he has the respect of players he works with and talks on their level and protects them as much as he can. He can also handle big name players too be it Wilshere, Defoe, Begovics. He's honest respectful and is someone who would represent the Club well conducting himself befitting of a WHU manager.

Yes, there's an element of risk as people will rightly question if he could do it anywhere but Bournemouth but we could say there's a risk with most managers if we want to look hard enough. I genuinely believe it would be one worth taking as at worst, we just bob around doing what we are currently doing anyway flirting with relegation but a big upside if he does manage to work well here like he has done so impressively at little old Bournemouth down the years. I honestly don't think we would regret it in the long run and think it's a match suited for one another.

And should we have the b*llocks to go for him, I could just imagine him trying to get Wilshere here (yes I hear the groans regarding injuries) as his first statement of intent having worked so well with him whilst convincing him to join Bournemouth on Loan last season. He's got some gravitas within the game than people give him credit for.

I'd also go 1 step further and suggest Harry Redknapp as our new DoF the Club seem so keen to introduce as it's someone Howe trusts in the game and respects his knowledge. Harry also loves the bloke and would love to see him continue doing well and still has a soft spot for us. It's not an imperative appointment mind, as long as we got Howe/Tindall anyway I'd be very happy.

https://youtu.be/tipZaYBpI5g

https://youtu.be/w7WWg76cJWg
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 am

Umai Emery, because I used to love his Dad, Dick Emery' s, camp comedy shows back in the 70's
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:52 am

Gourvennec.
Monkeybubbles

Postby wolf359 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 am

Cut out the middle man and let Sullivan do it, might as well.
wolf359

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 am

Ironing Board wrote: He is at a club that is large, where he is adored by the fans and where he has the support of his chairman. Why would he move?

You do know who owns Newcastle right? :shock:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby wobble on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 am

This is pointless, if you want a decent manager he will want a decent transfer kitty, 80m+ that won't happen.
We have to remove Sullivan first then we might see new owners at least getting the basics right.
wobble

Postby Bill on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am

It doesn't really matter, because the real manager will always be Sullivan, and as we know he's **** at it and a cheapskate to boot.
Bill
Stranded in the smog

Postby JustJoe85 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 am

I'd like to see someone like Jokanovic. OK he's relatively untested at this level but his Fulham side are the best footballing team in the championship. He has built a team with a clear vision in mind and brought through a number of excellent young players.

This is of course assuming that many of the top names won't be anywhere near us at the moment
JustJoe85

Postby Coops on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am

Negan.
Coops

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 am

Coops wrote:Negan.

Getting a decent assistant could be tricky.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 am

Eddie Howe was my first choice when we recruited Bilic and remains that now

The sign of a good manager for me is one that makes the most if what he has available. A manager that improves players. Too many managers now believe the job is simply about assembling as many new signings as possible and hoping they work. There is limited priority given to coaching or training these days. Working with players to improve them or make them adaptable.

Eddie Howe has proved he can do this by bringing players the the league, or integrating players like stanislas, Fraser, Josh king etc and making them better than they were before.

Yes there are a couple of 'big name' signings that have not worked out, but hardly disasters. I doubt they will lose money on Afobe for example.

I am almost certain he wouldn't leave the security of a Bournemouth for the shitstorm that is Sullivan and Gold, which us a real shame. I think he will be Everton''s manager next season
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Nesticles on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 am

Allardyce
Nesticles

Postby ryanrc on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am

It's amazing just how much ambition has been sapped out of us by this odious board. Look at who we wanted for managers when we were moving into the stadium and were sold their dream, and who we think we can get now. This is probably the most depressing time to be a West Ham fan in my life.
ryanrc

Postby Pob! on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 am

I have a feeling if Notts county get promoted enter Kevin Nolan...
Pob!

Postby only1post on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:31 am

Jose Bordalas.

Because he has not one but two of those little ticks above his name, he once managed Benidorm and I currently have a Getafe fetish.

They have only concede 31 goals this season.
only1post

Postby e17 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 am

Pob! wrote:I have a feeling if Notts county get promoted enter Kevin Nolan...

Reckon the Sully kids might disagree with that
e17

Next

Return to General Discussion