Your New Manager and Why?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Your New Manager and Why?

Postby NeverSayDie on Thu May 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Can't believe the negativity around Pellegrini considering the man hasn't finished outside the top 7 with any club he has managed in over 15 years. Villarreal, Malaga, Real, Man City and Hebei. He worked with literally no money whatsoever at Villarreal and 1 year after spending quite a bit at Malaga he then had to sell on the most of those players the following year and still finished 4th and 6th in La Liga.
NeverSayDie

Postby mixture on Thu May 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Dont worry everyone, the statement says they are "extremely confident " of appointing a high calibre manager. I wonder if that will materialise into 'confident', 'hopeful', 'trying our hardest'...

Followed by "we targeted a number of high calibre managers but for various reasons out of our control we couldnt get a deal over the line. However, in Alan Pardew we have appointed an experienced premier league manager who is prepared to work with us in securing the services of some exciting new signings..."

When did I become so cynical?
mixture

Postby HammerMan2004 on Thu May 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote:When we announced Moyes had departed...

“The Club will be making no further comment until a new managerial appointment is confirmed.”

Unbelievable.
HammerMan2004

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu May 17, 2018 5:48 pm

I reckon Claudio Rantieri's a good shout :wink:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Ben on Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 pm

I feel like Rafa could be turned on quickly but the fans, not sure why I just do
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Georgee Paris on Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Ancelotti
Georgee Paris

Postby JonG86 on Thu May 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Bielsa.

Just for shits and giggles tbh.
JonG86

Postby thejackhammer on Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Ben wrote:I feel like Rafa could be turned on quickly but the fans, not sure why I just do

Chelsea turned on him, and we seem quick to turn on managers lately. Our managers have been fighting against the tide for years. Bilic briefly won the fight, albeit still with some Allardyce fans knocking him big time, but even he succumb to fan unrest eventually.
thejackhammer

Postby Simply Moore on Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Its obviously just a ploy from Rafa to get what he wants from Ashley.

A 40% lifetime discount at sports direct
Simply Moore

Postby il_martello_di_genovesi on Thu May 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Chelsea didn’t turn on him, they didn’t like him or the fact he was appointed. Even winning the Europa League didn’t change their mind.

I think Benitez would be seen as a good appointment by most, and that’s a start.

You know yourself with Moyes mate. Most people didn’t want him, and wouldn’t take to him no matter what he did. That was Benitez at Chelsea...
il_martello_di_genovesi

Postby woodford on Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 pm

thejackhammer wrote:
Chelsea turned on him, and we seem quick to turn on managers lately. Our managers have been fighting against the tide for years. Bilic briefly won the fight, albeit still with some Allardyce fans knocking him big time, but even he succumb to fan unrest eventually.

a tad unfair there mate. Slav didnt get 'turned on' really did he. We endured a season of utter dross and a start to this season just short of disaster ( Brighton? Liverpool ?) Its not like people just suddenly got the hump

All things considered I think most people backed him its just that at some point the club has to come first

Had that occurred after getting done 1-5 by Arsenal or 2-4 by Watford in the previous season i would agree, but i think most backed him to be fair

I do get what you mean but i dont honestly think Slav got hung out to dry by the fans. The board yes, but not the fans
woodford

Postby thejackhammer on Thu May 17, 2018 6:01 pm

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Chelsea didn’t turn on him, they didn’t like him or the fact he was appointed. Even winning the Europa League didn’t change their mind.

I think Benitez would be seen as a good appointment by most, and that’s a start.

You know yourself with Moyes mate. Most people didn’t want him, and wouldn’t take to him no matter what he did. That was Benitez at Chelsea...

That’s what I meant, they turned on him before he even arrived. There was ‘Rafa Out’ signs at his first game. My worry is we’ll see something similar. Reputation for defensive football, people will say he flopped at Madrid then got Newcastle relegated. Uphill fight from the start.

I’d personally be delighted with him.
thejackhammer

Postby BondsoBob on Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm another who doesn't get all the negativity towards Pellegrini.
He won the Premier league only a few years ago. When was the last time West Ham could claim they had a manager who had previously won the League ?
Sit's back and waits to be told ' But gosh he had guzzillions to spend at City, here he'll only have shirtbuttons'. :o
Last edited by BondsoBob on Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondsoBob

Postby Georgee Paris on Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Avram
Georgee Paris

Postby thejackhammer on Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 pm

woodford wrote:

a tad unfair there mate. Slav didnt get 'turned on' really did he. We endured a season of utter dross and a start to this season just short of disaster ( Brighton? Liverpool ?) Its not like people just suddenly got the hump

All things considered I think most people backed him its just that at some point the club has to come first

Had that occurred after getting done 1-5 by Arsenal or 2-4 by Watford in the previous season i would agree, but i think most backed him to be fair

I do get what you mean but i dont honestly think Slav got hung out to dry by the fans. The board yes, but not the fans

I wouldn’t say he was hung out to dry, that is a tad strong, but there were calls for his head all over Twitter early on in the campaign. A lot of ‘BilicOut!’ Posts all over the internet no matter what he did this season. Similar to Moyes really.
thejackhammer

Postby S-H on Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Not turning my nose up at Pelligrini at all, just a feeling that it won't work, which I can't explain.

Would obviously love to be wrong.
S-H

Postby e-20 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
Burnley Hammer I'll be very disappointed if its pellegrini. I probably shouldn't be but I've just got a bad feeling about that one.

Agreed.

Would be an awful Manager for WHU imo. Would be gone within 18 months.

Wow so quite long term for West Ham these days then... Wouldn't that deserve a gold watch.
e-20

Postby Burnley Hammer on Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

would Silva and Quiches Flores qualify for the shortlist?
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Soon we will join a number of other clubs who have had three managers inside a year
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby goa127 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 pm

I think it was the Liverpool connection Chelsea didn't like. He'd have no baggage if he came here. Moyes generally wasn't loved, even though many were happy for him to stay, so Benitez would start with a blank page. I've been convinced he's who Sullivan wanted all along and is hoping he'll walk away from Newcastle to join 'the dream team'. So called because they give everybody nightmares
goa127

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion