Farewell, David Moyes

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Farewell, David Moyes

Postby smuts on Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm

I agree....i really warmed to him at the end. If Sullivan hadn't made his usual pigs ear of a transfer window and we had bought in a CB and a DM we probably would have finished top half.
smuts

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm

e17 wrote:I didn’t and don’t want him as our next manager, but genuinely wish him well in his next job and would thank him for the thoroughly professional and decent job he did as WHU manager.

Never came across as anything but a decent bloke.

My sentiments exactly.

Really enjoyed the honesty of his interviews and his acceptance of responsibility

A cut above the fat helmet, IMHO
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Like many have said far more eloquently than I could say, thanks and all the best.

Wasn't happy at the appointment and did vote no on the stick and twist thread (although I did change my mind) but can't deny he did the best he could.

Hopefully he will get a decent job as he has redeemed himself.

All the best, Bon chance!
Joyeux Marteau

Postby danski78 on Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Just reading the back page of the standard.. according to the standard Sullivan met with and interviewed Fonseca. The same day ( doesn’t stipulate a time ) Sullivan call Moyes to explain they were contemplating change due to fan unrest.

It’s utterly pathetic.

Whether you wanted Moyes to stay you have to show the guys some respect. He acted professionally throughout and intimately turned the clubs fortunes around and kept us up with an inherited squad.

At the very least speak to Moyes in person first and if you are to let him go then tell him there and then.. don’t call him and blame the fans not offering him and new contracts. Don’t tell the guy he has to reinterview for a job he already had and don’t expect someone to hang around just in case you don’t manage to hire a higher profile name

For what it’s worth I don’t imagine we have a chance with any of the rumoured managers we are said to be tracking and I suspected that Moyes would be our manager for next season.

I’m not a massive fan of Moyes but really who else are we going to find to work with the David

Thanks to Moyes for keeping us up and sorry you’ve been treated with such disrespect.. the David’s are classless
danski78

Postby Rays Rock on Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 pm

On the off chance that he may read this, I would like to congratulate David Moyes for his efforts whilst with the club. My honest opinion is that he showed positive glimpses of where he wanted to take the team and in difficult circumstances stood up well to the tough test against him.
In feel he deserved to be given the chance to carry on next season and have a couple of decent transfer windows to balance the squad up with good talent.
I hope we don’t go on to regret discarding one the of the Premier Leagues most successful managers of the past 15 years for some untested foreigner new comer.
Good Luck

p.s this thread is what i class as the west ham way.
Last edited by Rays Rock on Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rays Rock

Postby Up the Junction on Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Smonnie wrote:I'm glad someone else has said it - I'm gutted too.

I'm not gutted, but I feel he earned the opportunity to have a full season (at least) to mould a team in his vision.

As a result, Sullivan has placed enormous pressure on himself to make his first ever notable managerial appointment. For all the talk of your Fonsecas and Emerys, I think we're more likely to be in Ranieri or Ancelotti territory. Unless Benitez has a sudden change of heart.

A semi-'big' name with old ideas, basically - a foreign David Moyes, minus eight months' experience of assessing the squad.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Marky on Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Your bang on UTJ and Sullivan has delusions of grandeur and seems oblivious to what people’s perception of him is
Marky

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
A semi-'big' name with old ideas, basically. A foreign Moyes minus eight months' experience of assessing the squad.

Did we just call Ancelotti a foreign Moyes? Ranieri maybe but Ancelotti is on a different level, manager wise.
TheHandOfDog

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Moyes did what he was asked of and for that he has regained some of his lost pride and standing in football. He did good and if we continue down the line with GSB penny pinching which is likely then perhaps we might have been better off next season with him at the helm, even if I don't agree with it.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Avoiding relegation was a massive achievement in my opinion. He would have signed a 1 year rolling contract. He deserves that.

We've ****ed up. Again.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Rays Rock wrote:On the off chance that he may read this.....

Nicely put RR.
Doc H Ball

Postby Up the Junction on Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm

TheHandOfDog wrote:Did we just call Ancelotti a foreign Moyes? Ranieri maybe but Ancelotti is on a different level, manager wise.

Ok, not the best example admittedly! But yeah, you get my drift.

Though on CA... I'm tempted to ask... when was the last time he managed a club of West Ham's stature? 20-odd years ago? Would be interesting...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Hatcham Iron on Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Avoiding relegation was a massive achievement in my opinion. He would have signed a 1 year rolling contract. He deserves that.

We've ****ed up. Again.

Exactly this good luck to him has my respect at least he is spared more time working under the three stooges :crest:
Hatcham Iron

Postby jacko on Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Good luck Dave. Did the job you were asked to do.

But he is nowhere as good as some people on this forum are making out.
jacko

Postby wormley on Wed May 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Ancelotti

Juventus
Milan
Chelsea
Paris Saint-Germain
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
West Ham

Unlikely.
wormley

Postby ayriron on Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 pm

jacko wrote:Good luck Dave. Did the job you were asked to do.

But he is nowhere as good as some people on this forum are making out.

and better than some are making out
ayriron

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 pm

He maybe better or worse, but he still deserves our thanks.

I remember Watford away. He must've thought 'WTF?' It was all pretty hostile and disfunctional from the off but he held his nerve.
Doc H Ball

Postby TheHandOfDog on Wed May 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Though on CA... I'm tempted to ask... when was the last time he managed a club of West Ham's stature? 20-odd years ago? Would be interesting...

Regianna and Parma in 95-98 so yeah you are right, 20 years or so of top level management at big clubs. It would be interesting, if by some miracle we did get him, which I am 99% sure we won't purely because of his price, then I would imagine our squad would be improving as a manager of his stature won't come to a club like ours if we are signing Hugils or Hogans. The same with Rafa, Pellegrini etc.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Rays Rock on Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

I think our 2 performances against Everton neatly bookend his time at the club. They highlight how low spirit / fitness / team awareness were when he took over. compared to the final game.
Last edited by Rays Rock on Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rays Rock

Postby Samba on Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

A very good thread & brilliant posts, all round.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion