Farewell, David Moyes

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Farewell, David Moyes

Postby Smonnie on Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

I've started this thread because I think we need a separate thread to reflect on David Moyes' time here, rather than using one that was originally 'stick or twist' but is increasingly melting into the New Manager thread.

I'd like to say farewell and thank you very much to David Moyes. He did exactly what was asked of him, and delivered some memorable results for us, including a win against Chelsea and five games in which we scored three or more goals, transformed Arnautovic and continued to blood in Declan Rice, who could be our best youth product in a generation. Not too bad for a 'boring' manager.

Of course, it wasn't all sunshine and flowers, and we were also defeated by three goals or more five times, and we crashed out of the cups too soon, but on the whole and given the resources available to him following yet another woeful January window, I think he exceeded expectations (my expectations were 17th to 20th).

I also feel he conducted himself with class and dignity (despite the minority of fans who seemed hell-bent on misinterpreting and reading too much into everything he said).

I'd have liked to have kept him, but perhaps it is for the best that he doesn't have to work under the horrendously unprofessional and unpleasant board we are currently stuck with.

I'm pleased that he has been able to repair his reputation to a decent extent, and wish him the best of luck in the future.
Last edited by Smonnie on Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smonnie

Re: Farewell, David Moyes

Postby Kev59 on Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

I was up for him staying and think if he'd got the backing he could have got us into a comfortable position next season. He inherited a train wreck, had a paper thin squad to work with and despite that, kept us up. Good luck to him; he deserves better than the toxic trio as employers.
Kev59

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Kev59 wrote:I was up for him staying and think if he'd got the backing he could have got us into a comfortable position next season. He inherited a train wreck, had a paper thin squad to work with and despite that, kept us up. Good luck to him; he deserves better than the toxic trio as employers.

As indeed do we. As indeed does the entire club
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby e17 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

I didn’t and don’t want him as our next manager, but genuinely wish him well in his next job and would thank him for the thoroughly professional and decent job he did as WHU manager.

Never came across as anything but a decent bloke.
e17

Postby Alan Pardew's Dad on Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Cheers Moysee. You did all that was asked of you.

Under appreciated by fans and boardroom alike.

We'll get what we wished for. Again.
Alan Pardew's Dad

Postby Bonzos4Lagers on Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Thank you, Mr. Moyes.

I appreciate what you did to keep us in the Premier League. I wish you well in your future endeavours.
Bonzos4Lagers

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, for a scotch git, did ok.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby continental skills on Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Thought he was a terrible appointment, but he did a lot to gain my respect during his time here.

The manner of his leaving further increases my respect for him.
continental skills

Postby Pentonville on Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Smonnie wrote:I've
perhaps it is for the best that he doesn't have to work under the horrendously unprofessional and unpleasant board we are currently stuck with.

I'm pleased that he has been able to repair his reputation to a decent extent, and wish him the best of luck in the future.

I endorse Smonnie's view. I thought his appointment (albeit for only 6 months) was a retrograde step, but he surpassed my (admittedly low) expectations. He never really sorted out the defence, but his options were limited given the ridiculous mid-season selling off of Fonte, and the injuries to Reid etc. He got Noble motivated after his terrible start to the season, and as everyone now endlessly comments, was the 'inspiration' for Arnie beginning to fulfil his lavish skills. He handled himself with dignity in his dealings with the dildo brothers and Brady, clearly learning the lessons of the correct reaction to his sexist comments to the reporter when he was at Sunderland. Good luck to him in the future - he could be a good fit for Swansea. Excuse me going slightly off thread, but I said at the time that it was a crying shame that Slavin was ever sacked, but in retrospect I can see that he was clearly disillusioned by the failure of the owners to reinvest all the cash they have made from the massive increase in ST holders since moving to the OS and the TV money hike in quality players (Arnie aside). I think this disillusionment then understandably spread to spread to the players. Slavin is still statistically the best manager we have had in the PL. Good luck to anyone taking the managerial job, they are going to need it.
Last edited by Pentonville on Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentonville

Postby Vienna on Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Quality manager, thanks for everything you and your staff did for this club and good luck in the future, proper decent manager.
Vienna

Postby mrbluesky on Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm

He was better than Sam.

Goodbye, god bless.
mrbluesky

Postby ereford ammer on Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm

I was ambivalent about Moysie staying but I am concerned about the reasons for him withdrawing. Apart from the board being backstabbing scumbags, was he told the net transfer budget for this summer? We are going to struggle to get a new manager with any talent.
ereford ammer

Postby -DL- on Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I quite warmed to him in the end. He had his faults - but I often wonder if his 'faults' were as a result of what he had to work with, and who he had to work with. His remit was keep us up, which he did.

It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with his mark on the team after a proper window - but we'll never find out.

However, just like the previous 2 before him - most of the focus for the failings and the heavy defeats were laid at his door - while the real reason, those that sold defenders and strikers and signed no-one in January have yet again become teflon and the fall guy manager has been in the spotlight.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby rigoberts song on Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Gutted he's gone think he would have kicked on next season to an upper mid table place had our dreadful owners backed him properly in the summer.
Thank you for doing what was asked of you with a quiet
Dignity.
Wish you well in your next roll you deserve so much better than working for GSB.

Yours
One of Karens Malcontents
rigoberts song

Postby Smonnie on Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

rigoberts song wrote:Gutted he's gone think he would have kicked on next season to an upper mid table place had our dreadful owners backed him properly in the summer.
Thank you for doing what was asked of you with a quiet
Dignity.
Wish you well in your next roll you deserve so much better than working for GSB.

Yours
One of Karens Malcontents

I'm glad someone else has said it - I'm gutted too.

I think he'd have done a good job. I'm sure he knew where our deficiencies were and was starting to plan - at least until it became clear he wasn't going to be kept.

Hopefully he'll get a decent job like Leicester.
Smonnie

Postby Loon on Wed May 16, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't blame him for the poor shape of the squad before he arrived. He did ok in the circumstances, but the lone striker thing killed it for me. Too negative, and we could only become a team of defensive grafters. Still I thank him for keeping us up and he seems a good bloke. He's a good Labour man too. :thup:
Loon

Postby Albie Beck on Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 pm

We desperately need stability and continuity. I believe he could have provided that had he been given a fair chance. But he wasn't so now it's groundhog year... back to square one.
Albie Beck

Postby Middx17 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 pm

What is the chance of him ending back at Everton!
Middx17

Postby Rover's returned on Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

I too was underwhelmed by his appointment initially but for the most part I think he did a very good job and conducted himself in the style of some former West Ham managers we old timers were fond of. A bit too defensive at times but made the best of the squad he inherited. I’m grateful for what he did for us and hope he gets a plum job for next season where he receives the support from above he deserves.
Rover's returned

Postby Smonnie on Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Loon wrote:I don't blame him for the poor shape of the squad before he arrived. He did ok in the circumstances, but the lone striker thing killed it for me. Too negative, and we could only become a team of defensive grafters. Still I thank him for keeping us up and he seems a good bloke. He's a good Labour man too. :thup:

The problem is that our defence and midfield aren't solid enough to lose a player from those areas to play up front, Loon. That's why Bilic wanted Carvalho and Moyes wanted Dendoncker.

Also, Hernandez was disappointing when started, and Carroll never fit. I think we'd have seen Antonio played in tandem with Arnautovic, had he been available. Alas not. I don't blame Moyes for that, though.

Totally disagree with the 'negative' label though.- we were comfortably top half for goals scored. It was the goals against that killed us.
Smonnie

Next

Return to General Discussion