Farewell, David Moyes

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Farewell, David Moyes

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks Dave, did the job that was asked of him. Very difficult to judge him fully given that he wasn't given a pre season or a summer window to really put his stamp on the club.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Hammer.CA on Thu May 17, 2018 10:06 am

e17 wrote:I didn’t and don’t want him as our next manager, but genuinely wish him well in his next job and would thank him for the thoroughly professional and decent job he did as WHU manager.

Never came across as anything but a decent bloke.

My thoughts as well. :thup:
Hammer.CA

Postby upthehammers on Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am

voted to keep him on the poll and although I don't feel gutted that he has gone i do fear for the situation that we now find ourselves in.

it's clear that something has broken down and we're now scrambling to try and find another manager within the 10 day deadline the dwarf has set himself.

it's going to be 10 days of dick teasing us by trying to lure some of the best in the world with insulting wages ultimately leading to further embarrassment.

meanwhile the worlds best are getting ready to pack their bags and head to Russia leaving limited time for any new manager to take stock or try to buy players.

another transfer window / another cluster f*ck from our board. :crest:
upthehammers

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am

Puff Daddy wrote:I take it Stuart Pearce and his cronies have also gone with him

Yeah, who wants an Ex Hammer, over 70+ appearances for England, U21 Ex England Manager, Ex Great Britain team Manager, Ex Man City Manager, Ex Forest Manager...take that experience & f**k the right out of West Ham, you, you, you West London numpty.

Bring back the Croatian OAP fitness coach & the ballet dancer. :scarfer:

FFS.
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
Yeah, who wants an Ex Hammer, over 70+ appearances for England, U21 Ex England Manager, Ex Great Britain team Manager, Ex Man City Manager, Ex Forest Manager...take that experience & f**k the right out of West Ham, you, you, you West London numpty.

FFS.

Well. Clearly we don't and I don't think many other clubs will be queuing up for his services either and neither do I originate, nor have I ever had any association with West London
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
neither do I originate, nor have I ever had any association with West London

Read Again.

I'm talking from a WHU fans perspective with your, imo ridiculous viewpoint.

Stuart Pearce was born in West London. Hammersmith.
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby sendô on Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

Puff Daddy wrote:I take it Stuart Pearce and his cronies have also gone with him

It's always struck me as weird that West Ham don't seem to have "club coaches" that are loyal to the club and work with the players to improve them regardless of the manager, rather than the current system of the new manager bringing in his mates, and them all leaving when the manager does.

Not only do we need a new manager now but we also need an entirely new coaching staff too.

There can't be many other businesses where this happens.
sendô

Postby the celestial insect on Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 am

Sorry to see him and the backroom team go, and grateful for the job they've done under extremely difficult circumstances.

I think they would have been right for another couple of seasons. There are so many underlying issues at the club that I'm concerned any quick success we might get is going to be built on shaky foundations, rather than sustainable progress.
the celestial insect

Postby vind on Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 am

Did what was asked and identified some of the fundamental failings at the club. Clearly told a few home truths which didn't sit comfortably, always was good about the fans and developed Arnie, Rice and Ogbonna.

Could have been good for a few seasons with us
vind

Postby Heysel76 on Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am

Didn't have enough time to mould the team, but did well considering.
Not enough of a "Yes Man" for the Daves.
Personally, i think it's a missed opportunity to inject some stability into the club.
The circus is still in town.
Heysel76

Postby Upton Carp on Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for all the hard work you and your team put in. Much as I did not welcome your appointment, I am happy to eat humble pie and say, you guys did good...Big Thanks. :thup:
Upton Carp

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 am

Moyes instilled that mysteriously missing ingredient that West Ham teams strangely lose from time to time.
Discipline.
This should be the corner stone every great team should have as a matter of course.
Any manager we next gain must imo be a disciplinarian and not be afraid to upset a few egos.
Being matey with the players ala Slav is a no no.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

unless they get benitez , i can see them failing to sign one of their 1st choice other targets , we will then scramble around for a manger , end up with some shocking signings . , and be staring down a barrel again
chigwells finest

Postby Hayden on Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am

woodford wrote: :lol: Mate seriously?? This bloke was slagged off on here and every other form of media since his name was first mentioned. I dont mind a bit of revisionism every now and then but to say he would've had a great relationship with the fans were it not for Sullivan is really picking one right out of the air.

Look at the Poll on this forum. Not now theres loads of crocodile tears about him going, but prior to that. There's a good argument to say that he wasn't offered a new deal BECAUSE of the opinion of fans and Sullivans half arsed effort at fan appeasement

You completely misinterpreted what I said - the perils of skim reading. I said our ‘longer serving’ managers and players always had an affinity with the fans. My point was that back in the day most people left the club, regardless of the circumstances, with a decent view of the club itself and the fans. Even those that weren’t here for long seemed to appreciate things. NOW it seems that everyone who leaves, does so with a bad taste in their mouth. Moyes was never going to be loved by the fans, he wasn’t in his short time here, but my point is that it’s sad he will be leaving with such a negative view of the club when anyone who has been here SHOULD (and used to) leave knowing they were part of something good. Sullivan has completely destroyed all our good will and our good feelings around the club.

Admittedly in a few years a 6 month tenure might qualify our latest manager as ‘long serving’ but not in this instance.
Hayden

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Humbug wrote:Have any of the players actually commented about keeping Moyes on? Unless I've missed any snippets of gossip, the silence has been deafening.

Ironmike of ' Rumours ' fame wrote just the other day that Mark Noble was suppose to be meeting up with David Sullivan telling him that David Moyes had the backing of the players .

'' 13 May 2018 17:47:25
Hi fellas, Noble is speaking to Sullivan tonight to explain the team have bought into Moyes and want him to stay on don't know where that will go Meanwhile Sullivan speaks to Emery representative tonight looks like nothing is settled as yet IRONMIKE ''
The Old Man of Storr

Postby e17 on Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Yeah, who wants an Ex Hammer, over 70+ appearances for England, U21 Ex England Manager, Ex Great Britain team Manager, Ex Man City Manager, Ex Forest Manager...take that experience & f**k the right out of West Ham, you, you, you West London numpty.

FFS.

It amazes me how social media and the web have led to every bloke and his dog being experts on everything from the standard of the backroom staff, to professional athletes fitness levels... all while sat on their ‘arris staring at a screen.

As a kid I only knew John Lyall, that Blower bloke, whose face was in the program every week, and that was it. I wouldn’t have know the Cearns or Terry B if they’d punched me.

The results and the points and the football and the quality of footballers - nothing has really changed, just people like to kid themselves they’re more clued up.
e17

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 pm

cheers David - you did the best you could in what must have been very difficult circumstances with those 3 above you.

you were too defensive for my liking though and we still leaked goals
psychoscoredthelot

Postby woodford on Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm

My apologies then Hayden, it was the bit about him leaving with bitter feelings, and it being because of Sullivan

Dont get me wrong, the odious little **** is doing more to smash our reputation and standing than anyone in the history of the club, but in truth Moyes didn't have a great relationship with the fans, IMHO, through no fault of his own

Many on here slagged him into the floor when he started. Fans ill feeling was all over the media, and they loved it. We cant change that now. Yes he's leaving because of Sullivan no doubt, but it wont be a heart break for him, look at what he's endured since he's been here.
woodford

Postby Faithless on Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Cheers David, done all that was asked of him, a period of stability and squad rebuilding would've been nice but the ushanka has spoken!

Strikes me this is a bit like when my old firm hired a management consultant to find out why the business was failing. After spending a few weeks interviewing all the staff and reviewing our business processes, he came to the conclusion it was the senior management/owners causing all the problems.....he wasn't invited back, nothing changed until the administrators took control.
Faithless

Location: On a bubble approaching the sky.....Born 7 days too late...38 years n counting

Postby SpongeBob's Pants on Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 pm

In some part, it would have been nice to have had him for another season for stability. You could say he deserved more time (as does any manager - 6 months isnt enough to implement what he wants).

However, i can't really imagine he would have improved us too much in all honesty. If we can hire someone a bit more younger, fresher, with newer ideas and an identity, then i'm all for it.

I think DM did what was asked of him; no more, no less.
SpongeBob's Pants

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion