Football Agents scourge or needed?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Football Agents scourge or needed?

Postby only1post on Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm

SHOW ME THE MONEY

Undisclosed deals just piss me off.

There should be one big transparent system that shows when contracts end, release clauses, bids made etc.

Agents taking their cuts just make the game less affordable for us punters.
only1post

Postby GaryP on Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

GaryP wrote:Agents should only be employed by players if they want one. They should NEVER be paid by clubs under any circumstances and those that to do should automatic points dedection.

BrownFatwa wrote:why?
my firm uses headhunters for 'star players' and agencies for 'squad staff'. we pay them a percentage for their 'client' we would never charge the 'player' only his agent. Its the commercial world, why is football different?

i would rather see football money go the the fans before the players, the players before the agents, the agents before the owners, the owners before Sky/TV. But hey we don't live in a Utopian world.

Because clubs employ scouts. That's the scouts job. If the club don't employ scouts, they don't get the players. A club has absolutely no need to pay an agent. They want to sell a player, put him on the transfer list. No need to line anyone's pockets.

You can't compare football to headhunters in other fields. A scout can go and watch a player at any match. Clubs should NEVER be able to deal with agents. Only players should have agents and it is up to them to employ a reputable one.
GaryP

Postby GaryP on Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

only1post wrote:SHOW ME THE MONEY

Undisclosed deals just piss me off.

There should be one big transparent system that shows when contracts end, release clauses, bids made etc.

Agents taking their cuts just make the game less affordable for us punters.

US sport has it nailed.
GaryP

Postby BrownFatwa on Thu May 17, 2018 5:27 pm

BrownFatwa wrote:why?
my firm uses headhunters for 'star players' and agencies for 'squad staff'. we pay them a percentage for their 'client' we would never charge the 'player' only his agent. Its the commercial world, why is football different?

i would rather see football money go the the fans before the players, the players before the agents, the agents before the owners, the owners before Sky/TV. But hey we don't live in a Utopian world.

Because clubs employ scouts. That's the scouts job. If the club don't employ scouts, they don't get the players. A club has absolutely no need to pay an agent. They want to sell a player, put him on the transfer list. No need to line anyone's pockets.

You can't compare football to headhunters in other fields. A scout can go and watch a player at any match. Clubs should NEVER be able to deal with agents. Only players should have agents and it is up to them to employ a reputable one.[/quote]

Buy scouts only IDENTIFY targets they do not negotiate to buy them.....
and besides its against the rules to approach a player who is under contract unless you've forgotten that. hence you go via his agent to sound out.
If a player is not listed (over 50% of transfers) then please advise me how else an interested buyer gets his man once scouted?
BrownFatwa

Postby WHJ on Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Burn them all on bonfire night.
WHJ

Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't think we can tar them all with the same brush, I am sure there are those out there who have their clients best interest at heart, because if they wasn't there then I am sure clubs with boards like ours would rinse the player completely. Most footballers don't seem the brightest bunch.

There needs to be clearer regulations that stop the crooked ones giving agents bad names.
Johnny_C WHU

Previous

Return to General Discussion