Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th new manager

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Well, that didn't take long.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ment:Sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"West Ham power struggle with Manuel Pellegrini"
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Well, that didn't take long.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ment:Sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:

You'd have thought we might have discussed this with him before we got Pellegrini to sign.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

So in other words Sullivan is throwing a strop, because that's his job!
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Don't ever believe anything you read in the Sun. I even check the date on the paper on the rare occasions that I do glimpse through it. :wink:
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

This has got to be a first for the board - undermining the manager before his team has kicked a ball!

Oh, and it's good to know they did due diligence on the manager's (likely) team in the headlong rush to sign him up.

IF MP gets his way, then we can look forward to
"My sons begged me not to appoint Mario Husillos as head of recruitment"
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Well, that didn't take long.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ment:Sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what Sully does to you. If we had been run even averagely well i'd think that it's perfectly reasonable to ask those questions but cos it's Sully all can see is him standing on his desk shouting "my precious" every time Goldie mentions handing over transfers to someone that knows what they're doing.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

It's written by Warren Haughton.

Think we can file this one under "ignore"

The guy is clueless.
woodford
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

somerset-hammer wrote:It's written by Warren Haughton.

Think we can file this one under "ignore"

The guy is clueless.

No !!! lets take it as 100% gospel and debate it for ten pages
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Actually - the headline is a bit more attention seeking than the article.

The bloke appears to have majorly ****ed up in his last job, and it would appear that Sullivan is rightly cautious about his potential appointment, and wants answers as to why it went so wrong at Malaga.

I think that's fair enough in all honesty.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

-DL- wrote:Actually - the headline is a bit more attention seeking than the article.

The bloke appears to have majorly ****ed up in his last job, and it would appear that Sullivan is rightly cautious about his potential appointment, and wants answers as to why it went so wrong at Malaga.

All true but where there's a Sully there's always a modicum of doubt :D
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

-DL- wrote:Actually - the headline is a bit more attention seeking than the article.

I don't.

1) In the process of hiring the new manager, you would have thought you would have asked him to tell you what/who his back room requirements were. That was the time to have this discussion.
2) David Sullivan currently has installed himself as head of recruitment. This has lead to us making poor signings with no overall strategy. He wouldn't know a good head of recruitment if it made him an offer to buy The Sunday Sport. He can question it all he likes, but Pellegrini will know more than him, and if you don't trust him to make the right hires then don't hire him. This just gives him an opportunity to say "told you so" if it all goes wrong like he's some sort of expert, when in fact he is just a stupid little **** in a silly hat.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

And meanwhile in a parallel universe, this bloke gets taken on and it all goes wrong with signings and people start coming out with why did Sullivan allow it to happen without asking questions.

My thoughts on our board are well known - but on this occasion, if the article is true, I think Sullivan is doing the right things by asking the questions.

For all we know, it may have been discussed at the interview stage, nobody knows - but for all we know, this chap may not have been Plan A.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

malaga had 11 points after 19 games. bit harsh to pin a relegation on the january window when things were largely ***** before then.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

I'd say the 75m transfer fund that is now sounding like sell before you buy to raise funds is bigger news than the transfer fixer
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

-DL- wrote: For all we know, it may have been discussed at the interview stage, nobody knows - but for all we know, this chap may not have been Plan A.
In that case, if he was Plan B or C or Z you still raise your concerns at that stage. You then make a decision
- OK or "No way,Jose (I mean Manuel)". You don't keep schtum and gamble on landing one of the preferred candidates.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Fair enough in the interview stage, not once you've interviewed him, told him he is the best candidate, then given the bloke a 3 year contract for £7m a season, then question his judgement on the staff he wants (which must have been discussed during contract negotiations). Funnily enough the position Sully questions is the transfer one as he's done such a fantastic job recently...

To the all of a sudden ask questions and want answers on previous failings (which suddenly becomes public) once he is in place just seems like undermining him.....sounds familiar. :x
Last edited by hadleighhammer on Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Ozza wrote:I'd say the 75m transfer fund that is now sounding like sell before you buy to raise funds is bigger news than the transfer fixer
why? we should get that easily for arnie and lanzini.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

To be fair to Husillos, he had quite a tough task there. Only 2 months to scout and discover 8 players to fit into and improve a team that was absolutely terrible, and no time at all to allow any of them to settle in.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Whereas here he's only going to have to find 6 players in 2 months so that's obviously much better
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

^^^^^^^

Much, a whole 25% better! He should be able to rustle up a feasible retractable seating solution with the time he'll have left over.