Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by jacko »

Awful performance today but let's face it, we have been poor away to liverpool for many years.

The side is going to take some time to gel. You can't sign all those players and expect them to know each other. I thought Noble was poor but he has proved me wrong many times before so I'll never write him off again.

Was probably the worst fixture we could have got to start the season but let's wait a few weeks. The players need to train together and the manager needs to work out who his best 11 is because at the moment I doubt very much that he knows.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:no posts since Moyes' demise, 1 game into the new season and a loss and you pop back up again..

please do f**k off.........
Ironing Board wrote: Of course I post now the season has started - there is not much going on during the break.
Only a new manager and about 10 new players..

:lol:

what do YOU call "going on during the break."

:?

p.s. did your boy find a new job yet ?????
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Dear Manu,
Please play 3/5 at the back for the rest of the season if we repeat today’s performance next week.
Best
‘75
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Well it wouldn't be us if all the optimism wasn't obliterated within 45 minutes. :lol:

Still realistically Liverpool are going to smash many teams this season, sure it would have been nice to have put up a better show but let's be honest, the season was always going to start at home to Bournemouth.

If we lose that, then we can start pooping our pants.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Not really a lot to go on in that game. Got his tactics wrong against one of the best teams in Europe at the moment, but in fairness if he got them right it'd be a similar result.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Only a new manager and about 10 new players..

:lol:

what do YOU call "going on during the break."

:?

p.s. did your boy find a new job yet ?????
You cheeky monkey! I was referring to action on the pitch.

Anyway - I got banned for making fun of David Sullivan, of all people, over his attire when Pelligrini signed. :lol:

Isn’t Moyes now doing some work for the BBC before taking on his next mid-season rescue job?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

sendô wrote:Not really a lot to go on in that game. Got his tactics wrong against one of the best teams in Europe at the moment, but in fairness if he got them right it'd be a similar result.
Spot on tactics and luck could have been a narrow win or a draw, or at worst a battling loss
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

lovely. first cardiff re-emerges from stasis and now irritable bowel is back.

like trying to get rid of bedbugs.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Puff Daddy wrote:I was hugely disappointed to see him just sitting on his arse in the dug out all match. Did he ever leave it once to bark out a few instructions to the players? Is the norm for him ?
I read somewhere a while back that most of the time it's impossible to hear when a manager shouts from the sides, it's drowned out by those on the pitch and the crowd as well as the player's own concentration. It's almost purely a psychological trick for show.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

I’m pretty sure Fergie was not doing it for show. Usually a player is tasked with passing on messages to those out of earshot. The Wolves manager was making lots of adjustments from the sidelines yesterday and managed to get a crucial equalizer
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

If it ain't done on the training ground, bit late to try to relay info at the game..

A good indicator was today at the Gooner game...commentator said, "Emery is up and shouting instructions, while when the City boys make a "mistake" they are looking at the sidelines to say 'sorry Boss'..."

Besides what the hell can Anderson hear, stuck out wide right say, when MP is at the sidelines at Liverpool where the Kop is screaming at the top of their collective voices.....sometimes that's why wingers change positions other than the positional ones...
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

I'm curious to whether MP would ever consider 3 at the back to suit the players he has available. I realise the irony, that he's just bought half a team with the intention presumably of playing 4123 or 4231. So probably not. But stranger things have happened with a manager changing direction.

Given our full backs (wing backs), I could see 3 of Balbuena, Diop, Ogbonna, Rice at the back. 2 of Noble, Sanchez, Obiang in centre-mid. Wilshere behind Anderson and Arnie. Making a 352.

Or, same back 3, wing backs and 2 centre-mids with a front 3 of Arnie plus new recruits. 343.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I have been told it was because he is aged 64 he just sat back in the dug out and didn't move for the entire match. I was very disappointed he never used his technical area once, to issue instructions, change our shape,or whatever else he could have done once our initial game plan was obviously not working and hope this is not a sign of things to come
Loon

Post by Loon »

The thing to remember here is that Pelegrini knows more about football than all the armchair managers on here.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Puff Daddy wrote:I have been told it was because he is aged 64 he just sat back in the dug out and didn't move for the entire match. I was very disappointed he never used his technical area once, to issue instructions, change our shape,or whatever else he could have done once our initial game plan was obviously not working and hope this is not a sign of things to come
I'm more surprised that Pellegrini's representatives told you that. A new ITK.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Loon wrote:The thing to remember here is that Pelegrini knows more about football than all the armchair managers on here.
That is probably true, but there are quite a few very knowledgeable people on here.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

pellegrini's philosophy is to engineer a team with a set way of playing over weeks and months, he's not a reflexive manager who will chuck out a game plan within half an hour.

we got a crash course in what can go wrong up at anfield.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:like trying to get rid of bedbugs.
More like female thrush.

Anyway, as others have said this fella starts getting reviews after Bournemouth for me, but I’d imagine today might have been a bit of an eye opener for him.

I wouldn’t start with Antonio, Noble or Arthur against that lot. & I’d play 2 up front.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Beavis Danzig wrote:pellegrini's philosophy is to engineer a team with a set way of playing over weeks and months, he's not a reflexive manager who will chuck out a game plan within half an hour.

100%

Won't be too long before some of the non-supporters on here will be braying "I always said Pelli was the right man". I'm keeping notes.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Beavis Danzig wrote:pellegrini's philosophy is to engineer a team with a set way of playing over weeks and months, he's not a reflexive manager who will chuck out a game plan within half an hour.

You can only respect him for that.

We've needed a style and identity of play for years.

Patience.