Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

EllisWHU22
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by EllisWHU22 »

Imagine it was his first competitive game with West Ham away at anfield against the champions league finalists who spent more than we did on 10 signings in 3. Were people not expecting some bedding in issues. think back to Klopps first season with Liverpool where we beat them. How much of a miracle were some of you lot expecting.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

If this is how Pelligrini wants us to play moving forward then it is best to start with it ASAP. Not say, "well, i want us to adopt this long-term approach, but let's not try it this weekend because it might be difficult"

If it means we get a couple of batterings early doors then so be it. Hopefully the end will justify the means. Only time will tell
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

EllisWHU22 wrote:Imagine it was his first competitive game with West Ham away at anfield against the champions league finalists who spent more than we did on 10 signings in 3. Were people not expecting some bedding in issues. think back to Klopps first season with Liverpool where we beat them. How much of a miracle were some of you lot expecting.
I'm not having a go at him or writing him off. Just a bit concerning that he either couldn't spot that his tactics weren't working, or just ignored that fact! Hopefully it'll sort itself out for Saturday!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Let's revisit this discussion in a few weeks and see if a) we stick to it and it works most of the time or b) it is catastrophic and we all clamour for a change !!!!!!

:lol:

I honestly think as a manager unless you are like Pep or Klopp with possibly the 11 best players per position in the league, you HAVE to be able to adapt.....

My personal opinion and not FACT !!

:P

Remember: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a sign of madness.....

A much more cleverer man than me said that....

:wink:
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Surprised to see some many backing suicidal tactics. He played similar tactics with Man City and struggled badly with them in his final season when playing some of the top sides.

Those tactics were never going to work and the attitude of let’s just play them anyway is rather strange. The obvious floors in those tactics were highlighted yesterday in great detail by the pundits.

I’d be rather worried if Pelligrini just writes yesterday’s game off as many on here have, there we’re lessons to be learned, to simply ignore them would be foley and will cost us throughout the season.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I'm glad we have a manager with a philosophy that he sticks to.

I liked Bilic but was often scratching my head about how exactly he wanted us to play, he often seemed to be caught between two stools
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ stu

Again. Spot on...

I can't see the clamour for "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" approach...

I don't want to see us park the bus, but Shirley there's a happy medium ???
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Park the bus but leave the handbrake off... win 3-0 at Anfield...
Super, Super Slav....
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

For those using Klopp and Pep as a bench mark, please remember what they tried to implement at there current clubs and how their first year went in charge of said clubs. These things don't happen straight away and take time. Both stated slow and it took them time before there philosophy came into fruition. Don't expect ours to be any different.
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

If you are trying to build a consistent system around a selective, organized press it's probably not best to practice the entire off-season and then abandon it in Match 1 because the opponent would likely run rings around it.

Learned a lot about his players I'd imagine and he'll learn just as much from trying to play the same way against Bornemouth. I'd start to worry after 5 matches if we're sitting on 2 points, and nothing changes.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

I’m not sure the way we defending the 18 yard box will work particularly well against any team who have decent movement, especially after its floors were highlighted to every team in the division at the weekend.

The instruction not to drop deeper than the 18 yard line was implemented far too literally yesterday. Strangely you could argue we actually looked quite well coached as we held the line very well, much to our downfall as the tactic just simply didn’t work but unfortunately we stuck at it.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

EllisWHU22 wrote: Were people not expecting some bedding in issues. think back to Klopps first season with Liverpool where we beat them. How much of a miracle were some of you lot expecting.
I don't think anyone was expecting a miracle, but would have settled for a 1-0 or 2-0 loss rather than an absolute tonking.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

StackerJJ wrote:For those using Klopp and Pep as a bench mark, please remember what they tried to implement at there current clubs and how their first year went in charge of said clubs. These things don't happen straight away and take time. Both stated slow and it took them time before there philosophy came into fruition. Don't expect ours to be any different.
Great post mate :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He certainly needs to mull over what happened.

We gifted Liverpool space to receive the ball - there was acres between midfield and the defence almost all game; and we gifted them time to pass it - the press was non existent, as was any sort of urgency in the challenge; we never got close to them.

I feel a tad for the defenders who had to overuse the offside trap because of it, and who acquitted themselves reasonably well in spite of Liverpool being able to saunter towards them from the first minute to the last.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:

The Happy Medium was Doris - Shirley was the Unhappy Medium , she never saw anything coming .
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

World class manager great reputation. But we are West Ham. Sacked by Xmas. Pardon?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
The Old Man of Storr wrote:

The Happy Medium was Doris - Shirley was the Unhappy Medium , she never saw anything coming .
I went to the fortune teller's one time..a sign on the door said:

Closed due to unforeseen circumstances...

:shock:

Boom ! Tish !
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:World class manager great reputation. But we are West Ham. Sacked by Xmas. Pardon?

Call for BFS? :lol:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

His set ups will be different home and away

I would think that his preferred option would have been to play Yarmolenko from the start, maybe behind Arnie in a kind of 4-1-4-1. he obviously wanted to play tight lines with a pressing midfield.

The issue he had was Noble who I like but who is done at this level, and Rice who doesn't have the experience or discipline to hold his position.

I think if everyone is fit, away from home, he plays Wilshere and Lanzini in the middle with Wilshere playing the deeper role. I think he will play Sanchez in front of the back four. He will then have Anderson and Perez playing as wingers and Arnie as the main threat up front.

At Home I think it will be a more attacking 4-3-3 moving to a 4-4-2 defending. Hernandez, Arnie and Yarmolenko playing a fluid role up front, Anderson, Wilshere and Sanchez slotting in behind. When we are being attacked, Yarmolenko and Anderson playing traditional winger roles.

It will take time. What we don't have is strength in depth to maintain it if we get injuries.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gonna have a long wait to play Wilshere and Lanzini together in the middle Bris...

:P :P