Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Clucking Bell »

e17 wrote:I’d rather we did have a go, it’s not like parking the bus against this lot would have resulted in a shock 1-0 win.

Pelboy is doing a great job of making us entertaining, even as the premier league becomes less with every passing season. :thup:
He understands the West Ham Way. Attacking football while contriving to lose four-nil. Almost like watching a game from the eighties ...... although, of course, in those days we always had at least one striker who knew where the back of the net was.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

We so need to keep this fella, god forbid we force him out as fans. The improvement is remarkable, every season we will become better. I really feel he is a genius and I'm loving his ambition.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Lucas Perez substitution. Why?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

OohAahButler wrote:Lucas Perez substitution. Why?
your guess is as good as mine mate......

Anderson didn't have a great day except for once his corners were brilliant but we didn't win one except the Balbuena effort.....

strange day all around.......

when their first goal went in, I wasn't even depressed............merely "oh well that was inevitable - it was just a question of how long..."
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Expectations with results are going to crank up substantially now.

We alone have played the entire top 6 (I believe) and now we have an extended run of games against teams who have struggled for form.
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

Not quite sure I'm getting the love-in for Pellers right now. Sure, today was good to have a bit of a go, ,but Antonio and Dianga playing ahead of someone like Noble. Really? Not that I am a big Noble fan but I think his experience would have been invaluable today if perhaps it wouldn't have made much difference to the result.

We've spent £100m+ and have 12 points from 13games.Hardly earth shattering,, although I accept injuries are playing a big part. I think however I will reserve judgement for a few more weeks yet.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Do people honestly think we are going well? We’re absolute toilet irrespective of opposition
He played Arthur....again at left back against a top side.
The only players worth watching at the moment are Zabaleta, rice and Diop. The rest are an embarrassment. They simply don’t work hard enough.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

Are you including Fabianski and Diangana (sp) in the list of embarrassing players?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

simon1982 wrote:Do people honestly think we are going well? We’re absolute toilet irrespective of opposition
He played Arthur....again at left back against a top side.
The only players worth watching at the moment are Zabaleta, rice and Diop. The rest are an embarrassment. They simply don’t work hard enough.
That is my big gripe too. Let's not cover it up and pretend we do, just because we support them. The important thing about moving forward is to recognise your shortcomings so you can recitfy them. You are absolutely right, we don't work hard enough
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We're still playing out of defense to feet rather than into space.OK if you can regularly turn and beat the marker, but we dont have those kind of players.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Expectations with results are going to crank up substantially now.

We alone have played the entire top 6 (I believe) and now we have an extended run of games against teams who have struggled for form.
That top 6 are ridiculously out of sight from the other 14

3 or 4 games time, we get into “realistic” territory, & Pelboy will be getting his just credit. Fingers crossed.

Aside from Arsenal second half, Spurs in the LC (still a bit gutted after THAT result in the previous round) & the Mickeys, we’ve at least been entertaining and tried to play a bit against everyone.

As others have said, today was just when, not if.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

irving boleyn wrote:We're still playing out of defense to feet rather than into space.OK if you can regularly turn and beat the marker, but we dont have those kind of players.
We are playing continental football with a team mostly made up of foreign imports. There is no way Pellers will suddenly start playing “kick and rush” football. To me it seems we haven’t really made much progress, rather we have just changed our approach. Whether this will be a way to push on and improve further in the long term remains to be seen
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

Lots of ball watching rather than anticipating runs behind our defence but hey, the pace and finishers they have is a class above virtually every PL team. We still created 3 or 4 good chances and generally unlucky to get a few goals. I'm happy with the way we play rather than the drab rubbish we could expect from BFS/Bilic bar 1st season/Moyes. Arthur is a really poor defender but then so is Cresswell because they are both pansies with regards putting in a tackle. Anderson is also a bit of a coward and looks like he prefers no-contact football. What surprised me was the speed that Antonio showed and wondering why he's suddenly like greased lightning after 2 sh*te seasons.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Carroll comes on after half time. He gets us back in the game no question.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

MP is changing things and our style but we are a long way off being the finished article within our limits. we will never be a city etc without funding but we can get better.

There are a few issues he will need to address and I suspect he will in January or the summer.
he has been unlucky with injuries to yarmolenko and wilshere and is without our best midfielder in lanzini.

he needs to get a decent LB in January. one who has pace and can tackle and track runs. cresswell and masuaka don't !

he also needs to get an energetic young DM in as noble is declining , obiang is too inconsistent, sanchez too old and a waste of money.

he also needs to get another CF in. one who can run the channels and provide a goal threat. perez is useless, Hernandez hot and cold and carroll always injured. IF arnie gets injured and is out for a few months who will score for us ?

he needs to get Anderson working harder when not in possession. the number of times he jogs around and tackles so softly are a joke.

he also needs to decide on the sicknotes reid and carroll. also where does ogbonna fit in?

so a few things for MP to sort.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

e17 wrote: That top 6 are ridiculously out of sight from the other 14

3 or 4 games time, we get into “realistic” territory, & Pelboy will be getting his just credit. Fingers crossed.

Aside from Arsenal second half, Spurs in the LC (still a bit gutted after THAT result in the previous round) & the Mickeys, we’ve at least been entertaining and tried to play a bit against everyone.

As others have said, today was just when, not if.
He has a full array is strikers now and plenty of midfielders. There's cover at the back and I think our defensive woes are being overstated.

We should be looking at 14 points minimum from the next 8. If he plays his cards right and we avoid any major injuries we could pick up 16+
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

next few games will decide where we are as a team

Newcastle away win
Cardiff home win
palace home draw
Fulham away draw
Watford home win
Southampton away win
burnley away draw
brighton home win

18 points should be achievable if we have no more injuries, if arnie stays fit and if we are committed.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

I like what he's done so far, while the results might not show the true story, the difference in our approach to games is polar compared to Allardyce and Moyes, we create more chances, us as fans are on the edge of our seats more, we play some nice one touch passes to get the ball forward. We lost 4-0 yesterday as we have many times defending however yesterday we had as many if not more chances than Man City. We will become more ruthless I'm sure but I for one was happier leaving yesterday after the 4-0 loss than last year's 4-1. Keep doing what you're doing Pellers. Few more recruits to oust some dead wood and we'll see a bigger difference in results. I trust his spending.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammerman11 wrote:Newcastle away win
Cardiff home win
palace home draw
Fulham away draw
Watford home win
Southampton away win
burnley away draw
brighton home win

18 points should be achievable if we have no more injuries, if arnie stays fit and if we are committed.
Newcastle away is the hardest game of the lot.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Newcastle away is the hardest game of the lot.
And I do believe we'll win there quite easily , 1-3 .