Lanzini out of the World Cup (and beyond)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Lanzini out of the World Cup (and beyond)

Postby WCpete on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 am

The Argentina team look shaken after they found out about the magnitude of his injury.

https://twitter.com/whufc_news/status/1005220428376395777

Paraphrasing what the commentary says with my limited memory of Spanish, "There's Messi, Messi with Kun, Kun with his legs up. Messi's face absolutely says it all. That's our impression. The pressure on the footballing leader. The pressure of worry on Messi is terrible. He knows he's lost a very important player. Another who is taking this hard is Mercado. He's very upset. He's a friend and a teammate at River all those years ago..."
WCpete

Postby sharphammer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 am

If it helps....

I ruptured my ACL and MCL and blew my cartilage in one go, was 10 years ago and it was pretty much as bad as it could of got.

I was in a very fortunate position, I received the best surgery and physio you could have asked for due to my job and the healthcare (I had the same surgeon as Michael Owen, and physio from a guy who was working at Watford at the time) I was playing a good level of football at the time and was 100% committed to getting back. Physio was hard, daily visits and therapy to get the movement back, surgery involved a new ligament was grafted into my knee from a section of my hamstring and artificial cartilage was used to replace what was no longer there.

Although I was back in training after 9-10 months i never played a competitive game for around 16 months, and it was probably another 6 months after that until my head was clear of worrying about it.

I'd say that I only ever returned to 75% of what I was before the injury, and the injuries you accumulate after because of over compensating with other parts of the body will always occur, relentless hamstring, thigh, calf strains etc.

We shouldn't underestimate how serious it could be, let's just hope it's not.

Good luck manu. It's a long road! :crest:
sharphammer

Postby nt_hammer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 am

Really gutted for Manu as this was his best chance at playing in a World Cup and it has been taken away so tragically. Don’t see him making another to be honest!

Just hoping he can make a full recovery to fitness and back to doing what he does best for us, but you can just see it now can’t you? Typical West Ham way that he has a few set backs in his recovery and slowly fades into a shadow of what he was.

Hope I’m wrong of course and get well soon!
nt_hammer

Postby dixie1978 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 am

Gutted for Manu, looking like he won’t be anywhere near the first team for nearly 18 months !
Obviously no contract renewal will be offered by DS, I have a feeling that is now his WHUFC career over (hopefully for his sake not his entire career)
Keep strong mate

:crest:
dixie1978

Postby comebackjoecole on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:37 am

Injury worse that first thought, it really is Dean Ashton all over again.

The Curse of the Claw continues
comebackjoecole

Postby smuts on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Keep seeing stuff like injury a lot worse, career could be over etc yet not seen anything from a proper news source claiming this?
smuts

Postby sendô on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:29 pm

comebackjoecole wrote:Injury worse that first thought, it really is Dean Ashton all over again.

The Curse of the Claw continues

Yep, Ashton deja vu.
sendô

Postby Ironing Board on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Personally I think he rushed himself back too quickly. If he had taken it slower he would have missed the World Cup, but would have been sure of a good recovery.
Ironing Board

Postby James P on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Do we know how it actually happened?
James P

Postby Pob! on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Ironing Board wrote:Personally I think he rushed himself back too quickly. If he had taken it slower he would have missed the World Cup, but would have been sure of a good recovery.

Ruptured ACL is the footballers nightmare you are never sure how well you have recovered.
It's a ticking time bomb .
You are never 100% the same a twist or a awkward turn and POP! It's gone again..
Pob!

Postby hammerman11 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:00 am

I would imagine we wont see him next season which is terrible news for all but he must be given time for a proper recovery. our medical staff don't have a good record with our players so if I was lanzini I would stay in argentina and recover. look what they have done to Antonio rushing him back too soon several times last season. he played poorly and broke done finally being out again for months.

get well jewell and we look forward to seeing you in the 2019/20 season
hammerman11

Postby Up the Junction on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 am

Lots of speculation about an injury that nobody (outside of the AFA and, presumably, WHUFC) appears to know the full extent of yet.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby somerset-hammer on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 am

Up the Junction wrote:Lots of speculation about an injury that nobody (outside of the AFA and, presumably, WHUFC) appears to know the full extent of yet.

A ruptured ACL was reported straight away, but surely without the appropriate scans, it would be impossible to diagnose so soon..
somerset-hammer

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:44 am

Up the Junction wrote:Lots of speculation about an injury that nobody (outside of the AFA and, presumably, WHUFC) appears to know the full extent of yet.

Point taken boss but this isn't shaping up well. Very, very sad IF the injury/ prognosis is as being reported, )albeit largely via the bush telegraph). Got to feel for the lad.
DaveWHU1964

Postby TommyHammer on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 am

Pellegrini almost gets killed and Lanzini misses his first world cup.

West Ham really are cursed. :crest:
TommyHammer

Postby Jumby on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:43 am

I'm absolutely gutted for Lanzini, I really fear this could be the end of his top level career. To be honest I'm sick of football now, the fantasy has gone, I couldn't give a f**k about the World Cup and I don't really get excited about any games anymore, it's mainly a load of expensive and depressing s**t these days.

If we were ever going to do anything we were going to need Lanzini. How many times does this sort of thing happen to us? I'm bored of it all now, football is bulls**t.
Jumby

Postby Samba on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 am

Jumby wrote:I'm absolutely gutted for Lanzini, I really fear this could be the end of his top level career. To be honest I'm sick of football now, the fantasy has gone, I couldn't give a f**k about the World Cup and I don't really get excited about any games anymore, it's mainly a load of expensive and depressing s**t these days.
If we were ever going to do anything we were going to need Lanzini. How many times does this sort of thing happen to us? I'm bored of it all now, football is bulls**t.

You're probably not alone in feeling like that, Jumby.
Wanna talk about it in The Snug?
Samba

Postby HalfTimePie on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 am

I've done my ACL and PCL along with my meniscus, PCL at 21 and ACL at 24. I can't ever play properly again except for kickabouts in the garden. So changed to playing in goal which was my second best position after CB. Seriously hope he can come back, but we have seen too many times in recent years with footballers with these injuries that struggle to get back to their best. All the best to him! :crest:
HalfTimePie

Postby mattyD on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

Shearer and Van Nistleroy both ruptured their ACL and came back.... if that's what Manu has done.
mattyD

Postby Hamburger on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm

It’s what finished Gascoigne.
Hamburger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion