Arise Sir Kenny Dalglish (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Arise Sir Kenny Dalglish (non WHU)

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:54 am

He broke my heart in 1986 with that goal against Chelsea as I was convinced we were going to win the title, but twas not meant to be. However, I've always been of fan of Dalglish and in a time when there are some dubious sporting knighthoods dished out, this is a most deserved honour. One of the best strikers in my lifetime and if you haven't seen the documentary Kenny, it is well worth catching up with - it's still available on BBC iPlayer. Moved me to tears I will freely admit. It's a brilliant documentary and I learnt a few things about Dalglish I was not aware of such as him being a Rangers fan and when Celtic officials turned up at his Glasgow home to talk about signing for the Hoops, Dalglish Snr refused to remove the picture of John Greig from the living room. Anyway, Dalglish Jnr went ahead and signed for Celtic and the rest is history......
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby SullySpecial on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 am

One of the few sportspeople who deserve such an honour, mainly for everything he did after Hillsborough. Lesser men would have left the families to get on with it.
SullySpecial

Postby Rocketron on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:He broke my heart in 1986 with that goal against Chelsea as I was convinced we were going to win the title, but twas not meant to be. However, I've always been of fan of Dalglish and in a time when there are some dubious sporting knighthoods dished out, this is a most deserved honour. One of the best strikers in my lifetime and if you haven't seen the documentary Kenny, it is well worth catching up with - it's still available on BBC iPlayer. Moved me to tears I will freely admit. It's a brilliant documentary and I learnt a few things about Dalglish I was not aware of such as him being a Rangers fan and when Celtic officials turned up at his Glasgow home to talk about signing for the Hoops, Dalglish Snr refused to remove the picture of John Greig from the living room. Anyway, Dalglish Jnr went ahead and signed for Celtic and the rest is history......

I always thought Mo Johnstone signing for Rangers was the first Cross religion signing, it was certainly presented as such in the press.
This is an eye-opener.
Rocketron

Postby smuts on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:51 pm

SullySpecial wrote:One of the few sportspeople who deserve such an honour, mainly for everything he did after Hillsborough. Lesser men would have left the families to get on with it.

Totally agree. Well deserved.
smuts

Postby vietnammer on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:if you haven't seen the documentary Kenny, it is well worth catching up with - it's still available on BBC iPlayer. Moved me to tears I will freely admit. It's a brilliant documentary

Agree. Evidence from his family about how Hillsborough really messed with his head and how he felt obliged to be the focus of all the grief in the aftermath. He's clearly no media hound and that docu puts all the 'victimpool' b*llocks to flight.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 am

Rocketron wrote:I always thought Mo Johnstone signing for Rangers was the first Cross religion signing, it was certainly presented as such in the press.
This is an eye-opener.

Yes, as far as I'm aware Mo Johnston was the first major cross religion signing for Rangers and it wasn't just that he was Catholic, he was also an ex-Celtic player.
Dalglish was merely a Rangers fan rather than a player.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Well let's face it when Garth Crooks is awarded an OBE for "services to punditry" ( I kid you not)...you know the honours system is a joke.
Westbourne Bill

Postby mushy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Yes, as far as I'm aware Mo Johnston was the first major cross religion signing for Rangers and it wasn't just that he was Catholic, he was also an ex-Celtic player.
Dalglish was merely a Rangers fan rather than a player.

yes, Rangers had always been rather more stubborn about this sort of thing then Celtic.
Lets not forget that Jock Stein their best ever manager was himself a proddie.
mushy

Postby hxhammer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Dalglish is onne of the best players i've ever seen play live, even if he did ruin many a Saturday afternoon for me, well deserved IMO

Also pleased for Defoe, he went up so, so much in my estimations with his devotion to Bradley Lowery, so good on him too
hxhammer

Postby Doc H Ball on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm

SullySpecial wrote:One of the few sportspeople who deserve such an honour, mainly for everything he did after Hillsborough. Lesser men would have left the families to get on with it.

:thup:
Doc H Ball

Postby NT Hammer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 am

Fully deserved especially regarding Hillsborough & his charity work with his wife

Watched the documentary Kenny the other day , very good & you see him emotional & trying to hold it together when talking about the hillsborough families
NT Hammer

Postby JCA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 am

Watched "Kenny" yesterday while the Mrs was out and agree with you Chicken Run Supreme, pretty damp eyed by the end. It got me going when he was standing on the street high above Hillsborough looking down on the place......clearly highly emotional and very affected, and all that after witnessing previous tragedies first hand also at Ibrox as a youngster and Heysel as a player. A great footballer and a great man.
JCA

Previous

Return to General Discussion