Help, Chelsea Attendances (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Help, Chelsea Attendances (non WHU)

Postby Row X on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am

I remember going there in 1999 as 15\16 year old and we won 1-0 Paul Kitson scored.

I remember my old man saying to me as I left home "If we win today, be careful on the way out, keep your head down and try to stay out of trouble. For some some reason they hate it when we beat them"

On the way out, the old bill marched us back towards the tube station, and you had to go past a pub full of Chelsea (The Britannia, I think, it's now some poncey resturant\wine bar), as we got near the pub there was all sorts being thrown at us, bottles, glasses, stones, coins. Then a few West Ham supporters had enough and tried to break the police the line to get at the pub... all hell broke loose and I remember a police horse charging towards me, I just jumped over a garden wall and there was bottles and coins landing all around me. Then some bloke just grabbed me by the the back of the shirt, lifted me back over the wall and said "Don't worry son, you'll be ok with us"

Now if you go there, it's a cake walk, the majority of their fans are just there for prawn sarnies.
Row X

Postby PK on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Chelsea v Southampton - 12th February 1992.
Top flight game, old Division 1.

Attendance: 7,148.

They were 7th at the time and finished mid table so can't even blame it on a relegation season.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/chelsea-v ... 992-90420/

Excellent summary here too from a Newcastle site:

http://www.nufc.com/html/where-chelsea.html
PK

Postby BondsoBob on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Row X wrote:I remember going there in 1999 as 15\16 year old and we won 1-0 Paul Kitson scored.

I remember my old man saying to me as I left home "If we win today, be careful on the way out, keep your head down and try to stay out of trouble. For some some reason they hate it when we beat them"

On the way out, the old bill marched us back towards the tube station, and you had to go past a pub full of Chelsea (The Britannia, I think, it's now some poncey resturant\wine bar), as we got near the pub there was all sorts being thrown at us, bottles, glasses, stones, coins. Then a few West Ham supporters had enough and tried to break the police the line to get at the pub... all hell broke loose and I remember a police horse charging towards me, I just jumped over a garden wall and there was bottles and coins landing all around me. Then some bloke just grabbed me by the the back of the shirt, lifted me back over the wall and said "Don't worry son, you'll be ok with us"

Now if you go there, it's a cake walk, the majority of their fans are just there for prawn sarnies.

I went to Stamford Bridge many times in the 60's, 70's and 80's. West Ham always took a massive following there. And always more than held there own.
BondsoBob

Postby mushy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 pm

arlhe wrote:All clubs understated the actual attendance in those days - I don't imagine we were the only club that had two people squeezing through the turnstile, with you and the operator sharing the 'saving'. People could also bunk into grounds in those days.

On top of that I seriously believe clubs understated attendances for reasons that can be guessed at (this is IMO, of course as it can't be proved). Charlton away in '77: 70,000 capacity, the ground packed but reported as 32K.

The biggest winners from the two for a fiver scams were the club, or certian board members that were able to take home bags of cash tax free. Why do you think.no effort was ever made to stop it?
As for Charlton away in 1977, no way was their capacity 77k in 1977, or was it?
mushy

Postby arlhe on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Mushy, they still had the massive open terrace down one side. The ground was redeveloped in the 80s. Can't find anything definitive about the capacity at that time, though.
arlhe

Postby pharaoh on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 am

They did have a cavity of 77k but I remember bits being closed off after being found unsafe. I think the side terrace was the biggest in England at the time.

It would be unlikely they still had the 77k cap. by 1977 due to safety issues.
pharaoh

Postby Porkeyes on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Samba wrote:I often wonder how I would feel now if Roman had bought us instead (upgraded Upton Park to at least 41k) & we'd had all the success that Chelsea have had.
How about you?

Well we have a home support to match now just not the trophies and glory. I would never have swapped West Ham as it was at the Boleyn for a Chelsea/Russian like set up but now now **** it. We have the worst bit just none of the good.
Porkeyes

Re: Help, Rent Bots Attendances (non WHU)

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Derby Hammer wrote:Zenith Data Systems Cup during it’s brief, unglamorous lifespan.[/color]

I got nicked at Stamford Bridge in 1989 at our game in that competition. Mental night that was, I think we got done 4-3 and it went mental after the game. Seem to remember it was around Christmas but could be wrong. The attendance for their lot was shocking. The away end was full to bursting from what I can remember.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Previous

Return to General Discussion