Memorial Garden Consultation

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Memorial Garden Consultation

Postby Happyhammer52 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am

Hiya Chaps,

Got this email through the other day, and been meaning to post it on here. Might be of use to some who have spread ashes, put down plaques etc in the Memorial Garden at the Boleyn.

I can't make any of the sessions, but they are going to email out the proposed changes to anyone who can't attend. If you need further information, give the club a message at: supporterservices@westhamunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear xxxx

On behalf of the Club and Barratt London, we warmly invite you to our upcoming family consultation sessions regarding the future proposals for the memorial area at the former Boleyn Ground, which we hope will act as a fitting and lasting tribute to loved ones who are remembered there.
As part of our commitment to working together with families, we are holding four consultation sessions which will allow you an opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions, so that you can be involved in this process.

Sessions will be held on the following dates / times.
Thursday 21 June (5pm –8pm)
Tuesday 26 June (5pm –8pm)
Saturday 7 July (1pm –4pm)
Saturday 14 July (1pm –4pm)

Sessions will take place at Our Lady of Compassion Church Hall, Castle Street, London E6 1PP.
We would be especially grateful if you could inform us on which session you wish to attend. If you are unable to attend, please do let us know, so that we can send you a copy of proposals via post or email.
Should you have any queries in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact us at Supporter Services by return of email or on 020 8548 2748 and asking to speak to myself or a member of the Supporter Services team.

Kind regards,
Jake
Supporter Services Manager
West Ham United Football Club
Happyhammer52

Re: Memorial Garden Consultation

Postby screech on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm

does that mean that they will be removing the garden in the near future?
screech

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I expect they want to replace it with something that needs minimal care.

A plaque or something.
Mega Ron

Postby Hammerite on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm

One of my best mates had some of his ashes scattered at the memorial gardens.

I had been advised by a family member that the garden was going to be buried and a plaque placed over the remains of those that had their ashes placed in the gardens.
Hammerite

Postby Doc H Ball on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Sounds like a precursor to getting rid.

A couple of thoughts -

Is the land consecrated? If so then much harder for them to replace.

Also, the tree planted there has a preservation order on it. Birds roost there and I know the Club were forced to protect it.

Remember all the talk about selling the Boleyn to people who would honour the legacy of the place? What exactly are they preserving or remembering?
Doc H Ball

Postby nickstanley66 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:
Is the land consecrated? If so then much harder for them to replace.

Land is Consecrated, according to the Boleyn Stadium tour i went on.

They probably just want to tidy it up, its been looking a bit ropey.
nickstanley66

Postby Francoisvander or else on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I presume all the flats have some sort of maintenance contract so how effing difficult is it to get someone to spend an hour a month keeping the garden looking prim and proper, it's not like its a huge expanse of ground. Absolutely shameful if they are thinking of covering it over
Francoisvander or else

Postby Samba on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm

I really hope that all families concerned will be happy with the final outcome, in the end.
Samba

Postby Hammerite on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Francoisvander or else wrote:I presume all the flats have some sort of maintenance contract so how effing difficult is it to get someone to spend an hour a month keeping the garden looking prim and proper, it's not like its a huge expanse of ground. Absolutely shameful if they are thinking of covering it over

I think one of the main issues resulting from the redevelopment of the Boleyn land is that if the garden were to be left exposed, i.e. no longer contained within the stadium gates, it would be open to vandalism from some of the more unsavoury members of society that reside in the borough.

When we occupied the Boleyn the memorial gardens always seemed to be reasonably well maintained and respected. As soon as we left, there was loads of crap thrown over the gates, no dount due to an absence of day to day presence in the ground. If the garden was retained as is, in it's current location, without that deterent then I shudder to think what might happen to it.
Hammerite

Postby mushy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:04 pm

The garden has been in pretty good nick recently despite what you might read.
This is no thanks to the club though. It's due to a couple of fans (one of whom I know personally) that have made it their responsibility to keep it nice.
There has also been some input by Dougie Robertson who is a groundsman at Rush Green but am not exactly sure how much.
Doc, the land was originally purchased from the Catholic diocese of Westminster so I would assume it has been consecrated at some stage.
mushy

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 am

Just wondering if anyone got along to this last night?

I have emailed again asking them to update me, but not heard back.
Happyhammer52

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:35 am

There's something about it on the official website
Mega Ron

Postby Hammerite on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Mega Ron wrote:There's something about it on the official website

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/june/21-june/memorial-garden-update

Would have thought this would have all been sorted out as part of the sale of the Boleyn? :eh:
Hammerite

Return to General Discussion