✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by hammerman11 »

a good keeper for reasonable money these days. GK situation sorted and looks like the defence is getting an overhaul with fredericks and diop in hopefully followed by mawson. all young players who will improve that area this season.

midfield next to sort ! CM DM AM required
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

The only people who think Adrian is the better goalkeeper are West Ham fans. He’s been dropped two seasons in a row, one time for a player now in the Championship. I like him, but he’s just not that good.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Let me start by saying I think signing Fabianski is a good thing for us, and he's a good keeper. I typed the rest of this without that in mind, but I have nothing against this signing - in fact, I think it's pretty sensible.

I think it's exceedingly hard to judge goalkeepers - De Gea made a howler the other day, doesn't make him a bad keeper at all.

Fabianski seems to get a lot of notable points because he has a high number of saves made in the league - top 3 for the past 4 seasons, I think. But that's the same stat that made Vito Mannone and David Marshall look good in 13/14, and they were playing for terrible Cardiff and Sunderland sides. 14/15 and 15/16, when Adrian was playing almost every game for us, he was in the top five.

It's just enormously hard to judge, because so much of what a keeper does is intangible. Per 90 last season Adrian had the same number of clean sheets as Fabianski, more saves and more saves per goal, fewer punches and more catches. Fabianski made 0.01 less defensive errors and conceded 0.12 less goals.

I feel like the two are much of a muchness. But I think the competition will be what works in our favour - if Adrian stays - as that will spur each of them on. I don't think I've seen Adrian better than when he replaced Randolph towards the end of 16/17 and when he replaced Hart during 17/18.

I'm slightly biased because I love the crazy Spanish b*stard. I'll be gutted if he goes as a result of us signing Fabianski.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I rate him, really pleased with the signing.
To be fair I have only seen him on MOTD and against us but he has impressed me. Not the 'next level' keeper but a decent addition while we build blocks.

be interesting to see what happens with Adrian now.....
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

All in all, we need a 2nd keeper, and this is a very good one to have.

Good signing.
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:All in all, we need a 2nd keeper, and this is a very good one to have.

Good signing.
We'll still need a 2nd keeper if Adrian takes this as a sign he's surplus to requirements and forces a move though, won't we?

I don't think we're spending £5m to £7m (depending on your source) on Fabianski without the intention that he's our number one keeper. It's not like we've signed an untested younger keeper on the cheap, like Johnstone, or Cardinale, or Mendy, who could be available for no actual transfer fee this summer, and who would be expecting to potentially play second fiddle for a while.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

5 pages in and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

If I'm not mistaken, he's our first ever Polish player :thup:
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:5 pages in and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

We had a young full back but he never played a game, ended up with Hibs briefly.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

thejackhammer wrote:The only people who think Adrian is the better goalkeeper are West Ham fans. He’s been dropped two seasons in a row, one time for a player now in the Championship. I like him, but he’s just not that good.
Harsh but true

I as much as anyone wanted Adrian to be good enough. His personality is great for a keeper

Fabianski has been excellent last few seasons. Head and shoulders above anything weve had between the sticks. Lets just hope he can continue that form into next season with us
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:5 pages in and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

Anton Otulakowski?
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Sir_Trevor wrote:
Anton Otulakowski?
Born in England to a Polish father, English citizen.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Wasn't Otulakowski working as a gas fitter while playing part time for Barnsley and had to work his month's notice before he could play for us?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

fabianski is a good keeper and I expect him and Adrian to battle it out for the jersey. whether Adrian wants another battle having had Randolph and hart to see off over the past two seasons is another question. If not then we sell to Spanish side and buy a young keeper like johnstone or mendy

I would expect fab to start at anfield though.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Well at least now Poland are out of the World Cup, he will report to Pre-season fairly early :thup:

I see Ex in his column hinted we still want to shift Adrian and will target a younger keeper in his column last night. Whoever we bring in will speak volumes on how we view Fabianski. If we bid big (which I doubt) on a young keeper like Pope or Butland, than I expect Fabianski will be a back up. But I expect us to sign someone who will be on the bench and who could potentially grow into the number 1 spot like Stoke once had with Begovic and Butland.

If it is someone from this country I still think it will be Sam Johnstone. Otherwise I expect it to be someone unknown from abroad. Aka a Husillos special.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

funky chicken wrote:Well at least now Poland are out of the World Cup, he will report to Pre-season fairly early :thup:

I see Ex in his column hinted we still want to shift Adrian and will target a younger keeper in his column last night. Whoever we bring in will speak volumes on how we view Fabianski. If we bid big (which I doubt) on a young keeper like Pope or Butland, than I expect Fabianski will be a back up. But I expect us to sign someone who will be on the bench and who could potentially grow into the number 1 spot like Stoke once had with Begovic and Butland.

If it is someone from this country I still think it will be Sam Johnstone. Otherwise I expect it to be someone unknown from abroad. Aka a Husillos special.
I thought Trott was highly rated, or is he still too young?
YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer »

I'd rather we had Trott on the bench than a new keeper, to be honest. You could argue that we need to season Trott a bit, send him out on loan or whatever, but to me he's 19, looks confident, makes good saves, has strong agility. The raw talent is there and it's our job to nurture it. Might as well make him number 2 and play him in the cups.

Don't see the point in signing a different keeper aged 18-25 when we have Trott there. Different if we're going to lose Adrian and sign someone like Wayne Hennessey as a reserve keeper, because it doesn't necessarily keep Trott 'down' long-term. But signing a Johnstone/Mendy/Cardinale type, unless they're going to be number one with Trott behind them, just isn't worth it in my opinion
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Starts for Poland, this afternoon.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

If Adrian leaves and we're left with Fabianski and Trott we will still need another keeper. Hopefully though those three are what we are going with next season unless by some miracle we bid for Butland or something.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Fabianski got the clean sheet today for Poland. Probably their best keeping performance of the tournament. It's too bad they're out, he might have gotten the call for the round of 16, had they advanced.

Ah well, he can't get injured if he's not playing. Errr.. unless he pulls an Enner and steps on a teacup.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

a good display from a good keeper. Adrian needs to stay and fight for the jersey. two good keepers the strongest we have been for many years at GK level. better than hart and Randolph.

defence needs one more in hopefully mawson, young and English 20m

midfield is where we need the extra players especially CM and DM . hopefully seri, burato and Anderson to join asap.

CF we have carroll and hernandez to partner arnie upfront. carroll wont last long so another needed there. martinez and hughill are not good enough and balatelli comes with baggage. rondon may be the answer. 28 years old, experience premier player, played under pellegini before, willing to be squad player. no idea on price maybe 15m ?

COYI