✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Crap signing. We deserve better imo.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Welcome and keep smiling.

A big improvement on Joe Hart!
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

He's a significant upgrade over Adrian to me. He's been significantly better in xG saved, which is by far the most important way of tracking keepers we have so far. Also, Swansea supporters back that up with most saying he's been the best player the club has for each of the past 3 seasons.

He's faced a truly ridiculous amount of shots (and often high quality shots at that) and done a remarkable job against that workload.

Here are a couple of articles that talk about xG saved (one is really about DeGea but the charts show Fabianski)
https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/23/170 ... ier-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://fansided.com/2018/06/12/week-st ... oalkeeper/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Wilko 1304 noted something similar in the transfer thread with this chart that I don't have the source link for:

Edit- now maybe he won't sustain it long term, but it is insane to me that people on here aren't thrilled to be signing a player who rated out as top 5 in the league last year, following a season where our goalkeepers combined to be arguably the worst in the league.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’m just glad we have him rather than Hart. Remain unsure if he is better than Adrian.
The Straw
Has liked: 588 likes
Total likes: 1419 likes

Post by The Straw »

My name is Luk Fabianski
I'm from near Tbilisi...
Parkeslife
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Parkeslife »

Any stat table that has Ederson, Lloris and Courtois behind Hennesey and Karius, should be expunged from the records, and hastily.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Parkeslife wrote:Any stat table that has Ederson, Lloris and Courtois behind Hennesey and Karius, should be expunged from the records, and hastily.

Well, the statistics relate to shots faced. Think about days like Arsenal in 2007 when Rob Green saved numerous shots and preserved a clean sheet under very adverse circumstances. Compare that to games when Ederson or De Gea have hardly been challanged by a misfiring or attackingly blunt team. Both situations resulted in clean sheets, but only one was achieved through exceptional goalkeeping.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Stats are a nonsense. This is a pretty poor signing imo. I hope he proves me wrong but he has never impressed me much I’m afraid. Rather we had bought a younger keeper with potential. And Bufoon.

You see? I’m easily pleased.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Good luck Lukasz and welcome to West Ham. :crest:
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Nice bit of photoshopping the kit onto him in the announcement vid !
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Parkeslife wrote:Any stat table that has Ederson, Lloris and Courtois behind Hennesey and Karius, should be expunged from the records, and hastily.
Hennessey had a good year. Karius is mostly just a question of volume on that chart, it only shows 44 shots faced and he did pretty well in the League, he fell apart in Europe, but 44 shots faced isn't really a big enough sample to tell how good he was.
Overall though it's the combination of the 3 I listed that matters. They all use different ways to measure keeper performance and all agree Fabianski had an excellent year.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

WestHamIFC wrote:
:eh: Strange opinion, Swansea fans think he’s the absolute nuts and was the only reason they didn’t finish bottom.

Adrian is very much under threat.
Nothing strange about it. If a player looks poo, he looks poo. That's just how I see this keeper. I don't care what Swansea fans think.

If we drew up a list of players worth signing from relegated teams, I doubt he'd be in the top 20. I could be wrong.
vind

Post by vind »

Does he replace Adrian or is he a number 2 (so to speak)
damiant
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by damiant »

vind wrote:Does he replace Adrian or is he a number 2 (so to speak)
hopefully that will depend on what the coaches and manager see in training
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I'm making an assumption that we'll be playing out from the back more under Pellers, so maybe that's a consideration, too.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 1386 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Replacement

Welcome Fabianski
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Had a great season at Swansea and was player of the year. My Swansea mates are gutted he's leaving. Top keeper in my opinion.
Pob!
Has liked: 1063 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

If anyone thinks we are spending £7m on a back up keeper then they need sectioning..
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Always thought he's been bang average to be honest, I just hope this isn't one of those "he let in 3, but stopped another 4 going in" type of keeper signings.

Hope he does well for us anyway. I'm not convinced he's miles better than Adrian at all.
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

If he was that good he wouldn’t be at Swansea he’d still be at Arsenal. Stats are just there to justify a point of view and someone’s job, politicians use them all time, lies and damned lies. Adrian is a good keeper who makes mistakes from time to time, name me one player who doesn’t make any mistakes. Fabianski at Arsenal made loads hence why they got rid. Would we have wanted him when he left them? No, so don’t see why we want him now and for £7m, really?

I hope Adrian stays and proves them wrong but don’t blame him if he leaves as he’s been unfairly done by imo. A real Hammer.